PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Birthday present for a 93 year old lady

Options
13»

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    PinkTiger wrote: »
    You said she uses a walker so would something like this be useful to put her books etc in when going from room to room-

http://www.mobilitysmart.cc/walking-frame-apron-bag.html

I realise it's more practical than exciting but you could put things she likes in the pockets, new book, box of chocs, handcream etc.
    was thinking of one of these myself. Im sure she would love it. My dear Auntie had some tinsel wrapped round hers... but that was what she was like...
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This thread has been dug up from 2014
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    Indeed it has.

NECROPOST alert.
  • JennyP
    JennyP Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »

Why on earth do people do that? Is it for a dodgy reason? Have seen a couple where people have clearly done it to post commercial links but I don't think this one is!!!
  • Pollycat
    Options
    JennyP wrote: »
    Why on earth do people do that? Is it for a dodgy reason? Have seen a couple where people have clearly done it to post commercial links but I don't think this one is!!!

I think it just wastes people's time.
    Judi and redlady1 have kindly posted their suggestions for a question that was asked 4 years ago.

I don't know why people do it either.
    The oldest thread I've seen brought back from the dead was last posted on 11 years previously. :eek:
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Still relevant to other readers, if not for the original poster. More of us than ever need gift ideas for elderly relatives.

This year I bundled Christmas/Birthday/Mothering Sunday for my MIL (88) and organised someone to come and mow her lawn every week through the growing season. She has everything she needs, loves gardening but is starting to find certain tasks a bit strenuous when there is a lot to do at certain times of year.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • Pollycat
    Options
    purpleivy wrote: »
    Still relevant to other readers, if not for the original poster. More of us than ever need gift ideas for elderly relatives.

This year I bundled Christmas/Birthday/Mothering Sunday for my MIL (88) and organised someone to come and mow her lawn every week through the growing season. She has everything she needs, loves gardening but is starting to find certain tasks a bit strenuous when there is a lot to do at certain times of year.
    I work on the principle that if someone needs an answer to a question, they'll either use the search function and tag their question on to the end of an existing thread or start a new thread.
    This wasn't the case.
    It was someone answering a 4 year old question.

We may have to agree to disagree on the subject of necroposting.
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    H ubbys nan is 100 this year, she moved into a nursing home a few years ago and culled her belongings to move from a 2 bed place to a small room. She says she has no room and does not want anything as she has everything she needs and no room for any other 'stuff and clutter' as she has little room to store toiletries and an aunty replaces anything as it runs low. We send her a card for christmas and birthdays and flowers a few weeks later - she receives lots of flowers at the time so we send her a bunch a few weeks after, these are much appreciated as she is overwhelmed with flowers at the time and these are there after the others have finished. When I first suggested it to hubby it was because she did not want 'clutter and stuff' and while a vase of flowers take up space they are only temporary! Apparently her room looks like a florists around Christmas and birthdays so a few weeks delay us considered thought full. We always send thankyou cards and holiday post cards and she loves receiving post, even sometimes sending post cards the day after a day trip .. must also mention she Is about 150 miles away so we don't get to visit often.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure