Voucher/Money to help with Interview Clothing/work wear

Options
I am on U.C and im due to attend a 4 week retail course (if im accepted onto the course after an interview), with the prospect of the job at the end of it. I have had one interview at the job centre where a lady explained what would happen on the course etc. To be selected on the course I have to attend an interview. I have no interview/ formal wear and was told if I needed help with the expenses (which I do), I am entitled to some sort of voucher for matalan I believe, to help me purchase smart clothing for an official interview. Anyways, I went to the job centre today and had an appointment with a different work coach (my work coach was fully booked for that day), I was then told that they only give them out for 'formal' interviews; and because he rang the centre that would interviewing me and they said people can come 'smart/casual', he proceeded to tell me I wasn't entitled to the voucher at all. I told him that I was told by my advisor that its for anyone that needs help with interview, and work wear costs. I now have to pull out for full costs for interview clothes, and buy my own work wear if im accepted onto the training course, because I will be using my own clothes to be trained for 4 weeks. I am very grateful that they will help me out with fare costs, I am very grateful for any help with costs, as I have to pay board and live off the rest of my U.C payment for the rest of the month, as well as buy food shopping etc.
I just feel I was majorly misinformed by that work advisor, and felt he wasn't listening to a thing I was telling him. My old 'smart shoes' are battered and I couldn't possibly wear them to any sort of interview, I told him this and he said 'could you not just clean them up with some polish', he said it in a demeaning way as well, as if I hadn't already tried that. I also remember when a family member was on JSA and they had all their interview clothes bought for the, another friend on U.C was also provided with costs for interview clothing- No matter what the dress code was.
I flat out told him I needed help and couldn't afford to buy an interview outfit and work wear. I am a bigger girl and decent smart/casual clothes for bigger girls are not cheap. I'm going to be over a hundred pound out of pocket. Because I need everything; shirt, smart shoes, smart trousers etc,and then other trousers and shirts for the training course if im accepted. In the end I felt like I wasn't getting anywhere with him, So I said before I left 'I will have to wear old jeans and just buy a new blouse then'. Because thats all I have; hence why I needed the voucher today or some sort of help.
Can anyone advise me on what I should say to my actual work advisor about this situation? and do I sound like I have been misinformed by the random work advisor i was put with?:undecided:think::think:

Comments

• parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have no idea about the voucher situation but you can get kitted out in a charity shop for very little money.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    parkrunner wrote: »
    I have no idea about the voucher situation but you can get kitted out in a charity shop for very little money.

Or join the various Facebook groups that share help and items between members. I belong to several where people can ask for something like smart interview clothes and people will try and help them out either by lending something or giving away something suitable. I'm always astounded how much people are prepared to help others, just today one of my groups has managed to kit out a very Prem baby whose parents have nothing! plus lots of children were given school uniform items where they may otherwise have had to stand out from their peers by not having the correct colour jumper for example.

If that fails, try Primark, my duaughter in law has a very high powered job and still buys basic black Primark trousers and shoes for work. The last plain black flat shoes I bought for her cost me £6.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JSA and UC are two different benefits with slightly different rules, so just because someone got something on JSA does not mean that someone on UC would get it and vice versa.

I am also unaware of any voucher for use at Matalan and the FSF pot would not pay out over £100's for interview clothes.

Access to any sort of scheme like this is also not guaranteed and would be looked at case by case.
  • PersianCatLady
    Options
    Although I can understand why you want to buy brand new clothes for this, I think that previous posters have given great advice about how to look good for little money.
  • Ineededaname
    Options
    I am also unaware of any voucher for use at Matalan and the FSF pot would not pay out over £100's for interview clothes.

Access to any sort of scheme like this is also not guaranteed and would be looked at case by case.

Matalan is used in some areas for the FSF clothing.

It's a discretionary fund, all you can do is request it. The decision is usually made by a manager of some sorts. May be worth speaking to your original work coach again but there is never a guarantee with these things.
  • Primark is worth a try for cheap clothing also as mentioned charity shops and maybe freegle?
  • MusicGirl97
    Options
    Thank you guys, I think when I made this post I was very stressed out ��, I’ve managed to find some black trousers that I’ve only had on twice and I just bought a new shirt from new look and got new smart black shoes-for the interview. My work advisor told me I will be entitled to some help to get work wear for the training course, and I am getting my travel costs paid for, which Was my main concern tbh. I’m okay now that I’ve managed to get myself some decently priced interview clothes. Thank you for the advice everyone.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good luck with the interview, it should be easier now you've got over the main hurdle!
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    The flexible support fund isn't always guaranteed. When I worked a zero hours job I had to buy my own uniform. I bought the polo shirts from charity shops. I got more than one pair of trousers from charity shops as well.

I have had several interviews since being on uc and have never had help for interviews.

I've also in the past bought shoes from charity shops and often on ebay you'll get people selling shoes not worn cheaply as well as ones that have been.

The fsf isn't unlimited and that's why not everyone can access it.
  • jonnyggg
    Options
    My friend had an interview and he was told about this by his work coach.He was told there was a voucher for Matalan initially but then was sent to an expensive tailors in town and bought a new suit shoes shirt and tie for an interview at a call centre.He didn't even need it lol Just shows the difference in work coaches who try and help you and those jobsworths who are trying to save the place money.I had a work coach at the same time and wasn't even told about this either even telling her i had an interview.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure