Does our house need rewiring?

Options

Comments

• Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 October 2018 at 5:54PM
    Options
    Costs can vary quite a bit depending upon the house, how original wiring is installed, complexity and size of any new consumer unit(s) plus if relocated.

Definitely prior to moving in. Also after any other work that may affect cable routing though it may be that first fit wiring can be scheduled in between any other work that does not involve finishings! If that is the case make sure you 'manage' your contractors so that the elements of work fit together logically and the contractors are aware of your needs and plans. That will save on mess whilst trying to live there, probably with no power and make any work much easier for the electricians thus potentially saving on cost. Remedial plasterwork etc, can then be completed before moving in. Decoration also easier at that time but if it is DIY use your judgement!!

Best start with your condition report and aim bring it all up to date - even if some does not need changing for safety reasons just at present - you will know it will then have longevity. If some wiring is fine and recent then you might get away with a partial rewire but if not and finances allow tackle the whole job at one go.

Cecie what you want and specify that when requesting quotes.
    Get 3 quotes from qualified and registered electrical companies and then make your own judgements using any recommendations you can get your hands on. Ensure your quotes meet your spec - not just on cost but timing and quality including types of things installed as well as quality of workmanship/ clearing up and some spare consumer unit capacity; refer to your spec such as number of rings, location of main elements (consumer unit), numbers, types and locations of sockets [ especially in the kitchen ], lighting etc. any trunking you wish installed (could be useful for retrofit of additions or data or alarm cables (preventive against further disturbances of wall, floorboards and decor).

Whatever you decide, bear in mind it is easier to do now rather than later and the cost of installing extra sockets and singles into doubles is almost negligible by comparison to the whole job and much cheaper than adding something at a later date!

Do not pay up front. Aim to have the work done once and done right and then pay when you are satisfied. Reputable companies will be more than happy to agree to that.

Come back to this board if further advice is needed!
  • Redditch
    Redditch Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I'm an electrician and once I have completed a 60s three bedroom rewire while customer was occupying it. Never again.

Starting at nineish, finishing at sevenish every day it took a week longer than anticipated.

Every day at least two hours were designed to cleaning and making property safe for occupants, ie we were lifting floorboards every morning and making them safe in the evening.
    Especially that lady of the house didn't work since there was a very live toddler.

That was my first rewire so I did not know any better but now I really advice my customers to vacate property while we are working on it.

It's just more affordable for them ( even including cost of room renting ) and less stressful for me.
  • IvyFlood
    IvyFlood Posts: 338 Forumite
    Options
    SG27 wrote: »
    Thats sounds almost exactly like ours. Some very old wiring ad fuse box and a recently added new kitchen with new box. We also have all the old brownish switches and sockets. With just 1 single socket in each double bedroom!

We are going for a full re wire, we want it all up to standard as even the new wiring in the newish kitchen is badly done with a socket fixed into the undersink unit directly below the join of the waste pipe for the sink! :eek: if you are going to be redecorating anyway then now is the time to do the rewire.

For our 3 bed 1960s semi its costing £3300. This includes some spot lights, outside lights, security lights. Plus garage. This is in the south east.

Are you sure you don't live in my house?! Sounds identical! We also have sockets near the waste pipes! Although the washing machine and tumble dryer are plugged into them. Wouldn't be surprised if our kitchen was badly done though we have the certs for it. The previous owners Dad was an electrician so I wouldn't be surprised if he don't it himself!

In hindsight we should have got an electrical inspection done before we exchanged but you live and learn!

This is our lifetime home so exactly I'd rather get it out the way now and then decorate with piece of mind.

Thanks for the indication on cost, ours may well be cheaper being up north!
  • IvyFlood
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies – most helpful.

We would have to live in the house while the work is going on but we are fine with this.

We barely have any furniture apart from a bed and all our clothes are on runner rails. The carpets in every room are disgusting anyway so I’m not bothered about these coming out if floorboards need to come up. Quite tempted to rip them out now! We also have a fitted wardrobe we’d be ripping out so the walls would need plastering anyway!

My partners brothers are both electricians but unfortunately they live in the South East. We will ask them for advice too. They may come up for a week to complete the work for us so we’d only pay for travel and materials but not sure it’s very realistic.

We’ll start with a local report though.
  • IvyFlood
    Options
    I should also mention that none of the upstairs lights are in the centre of the room - that's odd isn't it?
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    Options
    IvyFlood wrote: »
    I should also mention that none of the upstairs lights are in the centre of the room - that's odd isn't it?

Not really. None of mine are. More near the windows. (50s house). Left 'em where they are as is fine!
  • IvyFlood
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Not really. None of mine are. More near the windows. (50s house). Left 'em where they are as is fine!
    Ok that's fine. Just wondered if it was a sign of old rewiring?
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 5 October 2018 at 10:46AM
    Options
    IvyFlood wrote: »

Miss! Miss! I know the answer, Miss!

This, apparently, is a "modesty" position - I bet they are closer to the windows, is that right?
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Heedtheadvice
    Options
    Look at the electricians earlier post #13! You could be living in, use a local electrician and have a bill of £1-2K more if you need and extra couple of weeks work?

Is that really wise?
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,987 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dunroving wrote: »
    Miss! Miss! I know the answer, Miss!

This, apparently, is a "modesty" position - I bet they are closer to the windows, is that right?

That's how they are in our current house (1970s). So that your shadow/outline isn't visible against the curtains at night when the lights are on. Only done like this in bedrooms.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport