Beware - Domestic Appliance Direct!!!!!

Options

Comments

• tweetiepie72
    Options
    I have also been scammed in the same away. I ordered a £99 vaccum cleaner on 30th August which wasn't delivered within the 3-5 days as promised. I emailed the company to chase and they said I could expect it in 14 days and they would give me a 15% discount off of the price.

Needless to say but the goods didn't arrive within the 14 days so I emailed again and got a reply saying that the goods would be with me on 2nd October. The 2nd October came and went and still no goods. I logged into my bank account this weekend to pay some bills and found £599.99 deducted by the company without my knowledge or permission.

I emailed the company again this morning and got the reply as posted on this forum by Jemma T.

I am now in the process of trying to get the money back from my bank. I wish I had have seen these posts and the numerous ones located on the Reviews tab on Pricerunner for the company, before I placed my order.

Avoid this company at all costs. I will be reporting them to Trading Standards as well.

They have several different addresses none of which exist.

I am fuming!! I found the company on the ?Which Online site which I subscribe to as a company I could buy the vaccum cleaner from.
  • Nedsden
    Nedsden Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I am another unhappy "customer" of Domestic Appliance Direct - I ordered from their website after doing some research on the Which? Consumer Review website and clicking through from a price comparison link on the Which site. The order was placed in August and needless to say I have not received delivery of the item ordered.
    They have taken payment from my credit card which I am now disputing with the card issuer, I'm not sure how far I will get as the amount is under £100, but it's worth a try.
  • ElkyElky
    ElkyElky Posts: 2,459 Forumite
    edited 5 October 2009 at 5:25PM
    Options
    No offence to anyone who has been scammed from this company but what the h e l l was going through your mind when purchasing from there?

http://www.domesticappliancedirect.co.uk/company.asp?ID=49

It looks like a child has designed the website. Just by looking at the website and reading the material, anyone would notice they aren't professional. I added an item to my basket and checked out, there is absolutely no security certificate. That should be the VERY first thing you look for when purchasing from any sort of website.

If there is no padlock icon on your browser during checkout, run like you've never ran before.

Edit: There is a logo of Citylink in the header but under the "Returns" section, they state they use Home Delivery Network. Another plain, yet obvious clue.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    ElkyElky wrote: »
    No offence to anyone who has been scammed from this company but what the h e l l was going through your mind when purchasing from there?

The thought of saving a few pennies can cause common sense to fly out of the window at times.
  • dondon36
    Options
    I too have been scammed by this thief. £530 has been taken from my bank account and no washing machine. Makes you feel like you have been robbed on the street. How do these people sleep at night?
  • dondon36
    Options
    The address where you can make a complaint to the ''virtual'' company is a flat in london. Looked on google street car. I went through a price comparison website who advertised this company. Have now found out that price comparison websites dont check out who they are advertising!!
  • Jemma-T
    Jemma-T Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Options
    ILW wrote: »
    The thought of saving a few pennies can cause common sense to fly out of the window at times.

That assumes common sense was there in the first place. Never assume that.
    PROLIANT wrote: »
    Wow, nowt like having a poke at the small business owner, I mean, just because they don't have all the bells and whistles of a huge corporate giant

Bells and whistles? Stuff like stock? :p

Are people now saying this is a scam? You may not have a claim with your bank if it's under £100 with a credit card or may have no claim if it's via debit (and definitely no claim if it's not a MasterCard/Visa debit IMO). If you give away cash then that's normally your fault.

Before running off and claiming I'd hold fire to see how this thread goes and see what people post. Make sure you start to keep all important info inc dates, capture of that site, receipts etc.
  • grayc_2
    Options
    Avoid this company

My partner ordered a vacuum last month which never arrived despite payment. Also, an unauthorised transaction on her card for £599 was also made. Seems to be happening a lot if you search any forums for domestic appliance direct.
    Check your cards and report them to trading standards as some have already done.
    good luck
    gray
  • smjxm09
    smjxm09 Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The company website was only registered on 08-Jul-2009
  • ElkyElky
    ElkyElky Posts: 2,459 Forumite
    Options
    Simon_P wrote: »
    From the amount of new members who are now posting on this thread it seems that people don't have any great difficulty in researching online traders AFTER they handed their card details over, yet they didn't seem to be able to do that BEFORE giving away their card details.

Exactly. If they are just going to hand their details over to any old site, willy nilly, then I think they in for some tough times ahead.

Never buy from a company you've never heard of.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure