Your home insurance cost cutting tips

Options
2»

Comments

• payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Norman, many policies around that have unspecified / v high block limits on building insurance.

Like Halifax they are postcode/ propery type assessed.
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    shared house? Almost no insurers seem to do it (except endsleigh, who always cost a fortune) and it never seems to be an option in online forms/comparissons...

Surely there must be a lot of people out there in shared houses and people to insure them?
  • angela110660
    angela110660 Posts: 929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Received my Direct Line renewal today for Home and Contents Insurance. They were "delighted" to tell me that my cover for next year would be better than before!! So was the quote- over £370 for the year and over £390 if I paid by instalments! An increase of £100 from last year and I have not even made a claim!
    So I went on Egg and got a quote from them. Because I am an existing customer the quote was.....£210 and just over £220 if I paid instalments.
    Thank you very much!!! ;D ;D
  • ashmit
    ashmit Posts: 622 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I think it was More Than that I used when I was in a shared house. I had the same problem and was enthralled to discover that Endsleigh wasn't my only choice!
  • angela110660
    angela110660 Posts: 929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Following on from my last post about my good deal with Egg insurance for house and contents... I have also been given a year's free travel insurance for the family for travel within Europe too. It can be extended for world cover at a small extra charge. Well done Egg.
  • Highland_Lass_2
    Highland_Lass_2 Posts: 1,418 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Steve for the tip to use Lloyds TSB. I managed to get my buildings/contents about £35 cheaper. Also mentioned if they still did the offer with the vouchers and will also qualify for £40 of these. Not a bad saving for 10 minutes work.

:D
    If I had known then what I know now . . .
    :A Official Boots Tart (I seem to be retired just now though) :A
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    LloydsTSB sent me a flyer-
    £30 M&S vouchers etc, just in time for my renewal next week.
    Promise of Double the discount max £100 - well even that was not enough to make them the cheapest!

Tried to say typical 3 bed semi needed around £19000 contents cover. ( currently I have unspecified to £40K, and think I need it)

Chap said they were quoting the best on the market-
    ( later clarified under questioning as "top 10 insurers"- a bit vague on how they work out which companies are the top 10)

Their  building insurance alone was more than my renewal quote for Building and contents combined.
    ( and thats ignoring that my firm / I then get 25% commission on my own plan as well !)
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • Suzz_2
    Suzz_2 Posts: 154 Forumite
    Options
    For home & contents insurance I'd recommend the Bradford & Bingley Market Place at:

http://www.bradford-bingley.co.uk/insurance/home.asp

You can get quotes from a panel of insurers.

Last year for building + contents, I paid £69 for the year for a 3-bed semi + £15,000 contents (I did take some voluntary excesses).
  • VickyA_2
    VickyA_2 Posts: 4,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Don't quite understand this, but I've just got a quote from Bradford and Bingley Market Place (thanks for the link Suzz) for home contents. Anyway, put my boyfriend in as the main holder and the quote came out at £143.08. Put the same details in but with my name as main holder and it's £138. Not much difference, but a pint each in the pub!

But, my boyfriend is in full time employment, and I'm going to be a student (which I put in the quote). How does that work?!
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 #16 £1805.87 declared
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure