Strut Top Bearing/Housing under warranty on Nissan Pulsar?

Options
CirrusDesAigles
CirrusDesAigles Posts: 7 Forumite
edited 26 June 2019 at 3:13PM in Motoring
Hi All,

I have a 2 year old Nissan Pulsar that's only done 27,000 miles.

Local garage have advised that the strut top bearing/housing has gone as I had noticed a creeking/knocking noise at low speeds. Advised me to return to Nissan under warranty.

Called the dealer and they said if it didn't fall under warranty, I'd be charged a £99 diagnostic fee plus the work/part. I know the work/part would only cost around that!

Will this definitely be under warranty or should I just bite the bullet and get it done at my local garage? Have a suspicion they'll try and weasel out of the warranty.

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Impossible to say if it's warranty or not.

Wear and tear is not warranty, nor is damage due to poor road surfaces or impact. Premature materials failure is. It's perfectly reasonable to warn that there may be a cost for the work done to get to the point where a warranty assessment can be made - which means when the part is out of the car. And when it's out of the car, there's no point in putting the knackered one back in, is there...?

Yes, main dealers have much higher labour rates than your local garage, and will charge you full retail for an OEM part. £99 is probably about an hour's labour.
  • CirrusDesAigles
    Options
    Cheers Adrian.

Total novice here but would wear and tear be reasonable in a strut top bearing at 27,000 miles? Certainly not had any noticeable impacts nor been on any particularly poor road surfaces.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Total novice here but would wear and tear be reasonable in a strut top bearing at 27,000 miles?
    If used in poor conditions, it's entirely feasible.

Potholes, speed bumps, unmade verges of narrow lanes.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    Options
    Cheers Adrian.

Total novice here but would wear and tear be reasonable in a strut top bearing at 27,000 miles? Certainly not had any noticeable impacts nor been on any particularly poor road surfaces.

Not with that age and mileage - have you gone into a pothole recently that you know of?

Is it one side or both?
  • CirrusDesAigles
    CirrusDesAigles Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 26 June 2019 at 5:17PM
    Options
    Not gone into any potholes recently that I can recall. Just the drivers side.

Have used this dealership before for a minor repair to a wing mirror and found them a nightmare to deal with so really fear the worst and they'll make me cough up the £99 diagnostics plus the part and labour so the bill will be c.£300. Whereas if I take it to the local garage round the corner, it'll be £150 tops.

However, it should really be a warranty job at the age/mileage but fear they'll try to weasel out of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure