PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Commuter towns with good schools and low crime rates?

Options

Comments

• ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 June 2018 at 5:57PM
    Options
    Considering only the commute into London is only half of the picture - you need also to factor in the trip from whatever London mainline station you arrive at to your office. This can easily add another half to three quarters of an hour onto the journey, plus it's something else to go wrong, not to mention cost, stress, heat and overcrowding (especially on the tube).

And there's also the matter of getting from home to the station at the other end - time and (potentially) cost of parking at/near the station.

Your best bet might be to decide which mainline stations you could (or couldn't) commute into, and explore the rail maps out from those, considering or disregarding those towns/areas as necessary - at present your criteria gives a search location anywhere south of an imaginary diagonal line from the Severn to the Wash!
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Leigh on Sea. Great C2C line (usually - few issues lately, but very out of character!). Love my journey into Fen St! Depends where in London you need to get to.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You'll find it difficult to avoid drug related issues at the current time. Where ever you live.
  • luis1988
    luis1988 Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    £500k in St Albans will barely get you a decent 2 bed apartment unfortunately, prices are crazy right now
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    You'll find it difficult to avoid drug related issues at the current time. Where ever you live.

Stopping reading and believing everything you read in the Daily Mail helps massively in this respect, I find.
  • letitbe90
    letitbe90 Posts: 345 Forumite
    edited 20 June 2018 at 10:43AM
    Options
    luis1988 wrote: »
    £500k in St Albans will barely get you a decent 2 bed apartment unfortunately, prices are crazy right now

I've seen a few 3 bed apartments/houses under 500k in St Albans within a mile of the station (Rightmove) but I guess they are less desirable, seeing as you can have ones which cost 800k+.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    letitbe90 wrote: »
    I've seen a few 3 bed apartments/houses under 500k in St Albans within a mile of the station (Rightmove) but I guess they are less desirable, seeing as you can have ones which cost 800k+.

Yes, those are in the 'less desirable' places of St Albans
  • Mmermaid
    Mmermaid Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I'd be intrigued to know where abouts in Havering it is that you live... i would say its one of the best for schools. Have you looked at Upminster? All schools in that area are great, Hall Mead and Coopers especially. 25 mins into Fenchurch Street Station.
  • victoriavictorious
    Options
    Have you looked at Hitchin, Welwyn Garden City or Letchworth Garden City? All are on a direct line to Kings X (once Great Northern have sorted out their timetable fiasco, that is!)
  • owenjt
    owenjt Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    letitbe90 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Currently I am residing in London (Havering area) and am thinking to buy a house in the next 2 years. My budget is flexible in that, I am happy to spend anywhere ~£300,000 but can also stretch it to a maximum of £500,000.

As I work in software (London), I would need to be able to commute to London ideally within an hour.

St Alban's seems to be an ideal choice, but are there parts of London I could also consider? I can see there are some really good schools in the west side of London, but I am guessing they will be out of my budget.

It would be either a 3 bedroom house, or a 3 bedroom apartment (i.e. those developments with facilities such as concierge etc) that I'd be aiming for.
    Did you find a suitable location letitbe90?

I'm also looking to move out of London. Currently in Wandsworth and looking for a commuter town that I could rent in initially and potentially afford to buy in the next year or so. Been researching Chelmsford which sounds nice and most of the posts here back this up. Also really like St Albans - used to live in Hertfordshire and worked in St Albans for a couple of years and would definitely move there, although it is expensive if you need to live within walking distance of the train station.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure