Background Music for Restaurant

Options
Hi all,

Regarding music for the restaurant; I'm aware that I can't just pop the radio on due to issues with royalties/payment etc..

With that not an option, and the idea of paying loads also not too appealing. Can I just buy generic background music and play that?

I already know which albums and tracks I wanna buy, and I've found a price I'm happy with, I just need clarification from someone who knows about this stuff.

SO..

NON PPL & NON PRS Music - What does this mean?? It states that you can play it in cafes and that saying its exempt of PRS and PPL, I have a vague idea of what these are.

But being exempt from those doesn't mean much to me. Is there potential other hidden fees or licenses or is it legit just like a pay and play right away kinda thing?

I just don't want unnecessary grief so it's better safe than sorry.

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 June 2019 at 9:01PM
    Options
    OhhEnnEmm wrote: »
    NON PPL & NON PRS Music - What does this mean?? It states that you can play it in cafes and that saying its exempt of PRS and PPL, I have a vague idea of what these are
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRS_for_Music

if you are not vague you'll have answered your own question as the context makes it self evident what is meant:

- music subject to copyright cannot be broadcast in public without payment of royalties. The PRS collects that money and pays it to the artists.

- Music not subject to copyright can....

simple
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You might also look at
    https://amazinginstore.com/ and
    https://www.soundry.com/

as playing just one or two CDs one after another might get tiring.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    OhhEnnEmm wrote: »
    and the idea of paying loads also not too appealing.
    Define 'loads'. But first work out how big an area your restaurant covers.

https://pplprs.co.uk/business/other/ has the tariff and starts at £142.87 + VAT for 400 sq m.

They do a concession of 50% if it is in a small restaurant (<50 sq m) and you only use "traditional broadcast TV and radio".
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why not do the decent thing and not ruin the dining experience by NOT having background music playing?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • couriervanman
    couriervanman Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Why not do the decent thing and not ruin the dining experience by NOT having background music playing?

Light background is fine.......to loud is a pain
  • spenderdave
    spenderdave Posts: 673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    None of the various pubs and restaurants I have been in in the past few months have had background music. If you went down this route in yours, legal or not, I would have to give you a miss.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Options
    This ...
    Light background is fine.......to loud is a pain
    Very few places seem willing to turn it down if you ask ... in fact once when I asked, I was told no, because the staff liked it loud. So if the OP ignores us grumpy old men and women (forgive me if you're not all old, just grumpy about this) and goes for music, for pity's sake TURN IT DOWN if asked, or at least have some areas where the speakers don't go, or where the speakers can be turned off.
    None of the various pubs and restaurants I have been in in the past few months have had background music. If you went down this route in yours, legal or not, I would have to give you a miss.
    and I probably would too.

The thing is, if you have a group of people where one or more has a hearing loss (which is at least one in [STRIKE]seven [/STRIKE]six of the UK population according to Action on Hearing Loss) then any background noise at all may significantly impact on their ability to hold a conversation. And the concentration required to participate in a conversation over that background noise significantly reduces my enjoyment of the meal. Not only am I struggling to hear myself, I am also worrying that those around me are struggling to hear and becoming very unhappy as a result.

I am in regular dialogue with the chaps who do the sound at my church. Their policy is to put some very quiet music on at the end of the service, but to switch it off as soon as the hubbub of conversation starts. Which I can live with.

They also play not quite so quiet music before the service, which they change to a throbbing bass beat five minutes before the service starts formally, so we know to stop drinking coffee and sit down. That throbbing bass does my head in, to the extent that I've been known to walk out and come in again once it's all settled down. Although don't get me started on what happens once the service starts formally ...

I don't know what sort of restaurant this is going to be, but the places I go back to again and again don't deafen or distract me. Just saying ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • spenderdave
    spenderdave Posts: 673 Forumite
    edited 27 June 2019 at 8:34AM
    Options
    Ah, hearing aids Sue.... and as a wearer I know the issues. Background music, hearing aids and holding conversations doesn't work. Fortunately we have a real organ in our church rather than a band so I can cope with that sort of music.
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,744 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Another vote for no music.
    There are some songs I loathe, if I heard Power of Love I might chuck up over what I was eating.
    What's wrong with a bit of peace and quiet?
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's perfectly reasonable for the artistes to be paid for their work, which is what the PRS manages on their behalf.

Me, I prefer not to have background music, especially if it is loud.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure