Overwhelmed and ashamed

Options

Comments

• lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,736 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello

You mentioned big debt look at the siggy. No not proud but have cleared it. You can do this. I'm not sure how old your children are but we did tell ours. Its all about tackling it in bitesize lumps.

L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • roomontheend
    roomontheend Posts: 442 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 January 2017 at 1:11AM
    Options
    I have just read though your diary and I have to say well done. I now your debt is high but you can do this, your current income is good. I have just update my signature which I am pleased to say is now below 21k. We have entered the new year having paid off over 33k. We have done this despite me coming out of teaching as a head of department on a good wage. I now have a better life work balance. There was a time about 18 months ago that I thought we would lose the house but we had already made good in roads and had already adjusted out life style. I have big plans for this year.
    Total debt Feb 2012 = £54354.11 😳
    😁Debt Free and you can do it too
  • Little_Miss_Winner
    Options
    Good Luck on your journey - I hope 2017 is a good one for you!

*Subscibed*
  • jackie_w
    jackie_w Posts: 1,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Subscribed to your thread. Wishing you all the best with clearing the debt. Stay strong and positive xx
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi there. Have just subscribed to your diary and wish you and your wife all the very best for your journey

You have had excellent advice from all the knowledgable experts on this thread so haven't much to add. A big plus is that you and your wife are working on the debt busting as a team. For what it's worth the three easiest MSE things I found to do and which I have carried on with is cutting down on the food/household bill, cooking from scratch and taking my own breakfast/lunches/coffees into work (that last one has saved me a fortune!)

Good luck!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • dprovan
    dprovan Posts: 347 Forumite
    Options
    wow... Its been busy in here! Thanks for all the messages everyone, really appreciated.

Yes, we do feel good and positive. Yes our debts are massive!! Actually, they are even bigger than that!! However, we are fortunate that we have good salaries, we have credit at low interest rates so we have the ability to tackle this.

A very short time ago I felt overwhelmed about how long this would take and about what might happen if I lost my job, I wasn't around etc. Now, I don't feel too worried about how long it will take for the debt to go down. Instead, I see this as a much needed lifestyle change.

It is early days, but I think we both feel fairly confident with what our new lifestyle looks like whilst we bring down the debt. I therefore like to think when it is all cleared and we have an extra £1200+ a month that we are not paying off on debt that life wont look massively different day to day. Yes we will be able to hopefully help our kids who will be young adults etc and hopefully we will be able to save (something I have never done in my 44 years)

I think what is helping is that we still have this £175 a week as living expenses and we can see in that room for treats (like a take away). if I thought we would be on basics or the breadline for 7 years I would be miserable.

When we started this this journey I was embarrassed not to know what was reasonable to spend on food per week or to have as a weekly budget for all those other non regular bills. I was right to be embarrassed and it demonstrated how we were living. We are nice people but we literally had little value for money! For the past 3 weeks we have stuck to the £75 a week for food and that has been with the spending for Christmas. Likewise the £175 for weekly expenses has been comfortable. In truth most of this has been spent on non regular spends. Take this week: We agreed to decorate dd's bedroom as her Christmas. So £22 went on paint and £35 went on a carpet fitter (carpet was bought previously), £10 was given to ds who went on a trip to town with friends (paid for lunch and train), £15 was spent on wine, beer and food for new years party and £35 went on gum shield for dd who plays hockey. So there is £117 on irregular spends. Outside of this there is little else. My DW and I both take home made lunches to work so during the week spend little if anything. We were going to have a takeaway last night but instead agreed to wait until Friday (day we take out new weeks money) and if we have anything from our £175 that will be our treat on Friday.

I know there will be greater tests along the way and we will just have to deal with them. We had friends over who are for the US in the summer and they asked what our plans were. I said we didn't currently have any plans. In the past that might have bothered me. My ds said we are for the US next year! I will tackle that another time with him/them- but one step at a time.

We haven't shared the extent of the challenge with the kids. To tell you the truth I don't think they would understand. We have explained that as their mums job has changed we don't have the same income and will need to be more careful. To be honest they understand that and seem to have adapted. Like me, I am sure it will be more challenging to them along the way, particularly when DS realises US next year is not going to happen. But like me and DW they will deal with it.

This was meant to be a quick post! I tend to ramble when I start. But yes I do feel very happy, much happier than I felt in November when I was not aware of the problem. I feel grown up and in control and that is a nice feeling.

Thanks again everyone for taking an interest.
  • dprovan
    Options
    Well done lucielle, great achievement!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 17 January 2022 at 1:44PM
    Options
    You sound very positive DP and you both seem on board with budgeting. Getting your kids on board is important. At 16 your daughter is coming up to adulthood(missed how old your DS is) and it is important to set a good example to her so she does not follow the same path. At 18 she is eligible for a credit card so would you really want her to spend regardless of affordability which you bravely admitted you did prior to your LBM? We gave our teenagers allowances from 13 which they had to manage themselves. If they spent it all in the first week then they could not afford cinema, shopping or mcD trips at the end of the month when their money had run out. Great lesson for them and encouraged them to get part time jobs at 16 to boost their income.

Holidays are fine when you are in debt IF they are budgeted for and saved for. Check out Dolly Rockers diary for a good example of that.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • dprovan
    Options
    enthusiasticsaver, you are absolutely right. We have never given them pocket money my other two sons are (13 & 8)! My dw and I spoke about this very point for the exact reasons. I will revisit this- was thinking £10 and £5 and expecting them to do some chores to earn this-

My dd is training to be a gymnastics coach and will be able to earn some income and she has a gcse coming up early Jan and when that is finished we talked about a part time job to give her some extra money.
  • Dark_Sunday
    Options
    Best of luck on tackling your debt. Your situation is quite similar to mine (look at signature) but I'm sure you know what needs to be done. Your high household income certainly helps.

When you look at the debt you basically just want it to disappear overnight but it won't. I took the view that we got ourselves into this mess so it's up to us to get ourselves out of it, but there's no real quick fix unless you come into some unexpected money. i.e. Lottery win, inheritance, etc.

It's not easy but this forum proves that it is possible. Many start with good intentions & gradually fall away, but others seem to be able to stick to the task.

Hope you stick to the task.
    Jan. 2023 Final LBM
    CCs £27.6k Now £27.8k
    Savings £21k Now £18.5k
    NAD April 8/16

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts