EDF Warmwise

Options
Hi All
Today I had my Nov - Jan electricity bill from EDF which was for £277.
£188 was for my heating.
I queried it because it seemed exceptionally high.
I live in a small one bed flat that has underfloor heating which is why I am on the Warmwise tariff, similar to Economy 7, for my heating and hot water.
My question is, would I be better off going on to a standard rate tariff and getting some oil filled radiators for heating instead of using the underfloor heating, and would I have to pay EDF to do this? 😳😭😂

Comments

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It'll cost you a fortune whatever you do. Warmwise is probably very uncompetitive and similar tariffs from other suppliers will be few and far between. If you mean single rate, that will be expensive and you won't have any cheap rate for the underfloor and hot water.

Probably the only solution would be E7 and storage heaters, if you can amortise the capital cost over umpteen years. Basically, being all-electric is bad news, especially on legacy tariffs that are being phased out.
  • JackieD63
    Options
    It looks like I'm stuck with them. My bill is £100 more than for the same period last year...what a nightmare.
    My heating system is so old the thermostats are in Farenheit!!
    I've just been made redundant too so expensive heating isn't helping ☹️
    Looks like wooly hats and coats for me ��
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you checked out all the benefits to which you may be entitled? Warm Home Discount, Cold Weather payments etc etc.

If you're a tenant it may be worth moving to somewhere with GCH.
  • JackieD63
    Options
    With EDF you can only get discount if you're a parent with a child under 5, you've got a disability or you're a pensioner...I'm not quite there yet!!
    I don't think I'm entitled to anything but I'll ask when I go to the jobcentre.
    My flat is owned by the council so moving isn't really an option :(
    Anyway, as from tomorrow my heating is going off and I'll try using a heater if it gets too cold.
    I think my meter is wrong but I think you have to pay to get it checked :(
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 January 2020 at 2:52AM
    Options
    Do you heat your bedroom during the day only to insulate yourself from that heat between a mattress and a couple of quilts like I used to do? Invest in an electric blanket instead! A bonus is that if you heat your entire flat, the heat will have nowhere to go except outside; this way, some of it will find its way through your bedroom door instead of the front door. Also, sitting on the sofa with the blanket under you and a quilt over you is a very efficient way of keeping snug, at a fraction of the cost of heating the whole room.

I've just realised you cannot turn off the bedroom radiator if you don't have one! Is the underfloor heating All or Nothing?
  • JackieD63
    Options
    Hi
    Yes, just the underfloor heating...apart from a fan heater in the bathroom, but I don't fancy sitting on the toilet to get warm lol.
    I'm looking to get a convector heater or oil filled radiator for the sitting room for when it gets really cold but I would only use it for a little as my daytime electric rate is quite high.
    I've dug out a couple of thermal vests that I used for work and have a couple of blankets.
    I never thought I'd be in a situation like this!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure