PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Sunday 7th July 2019

Options
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.

Comments

• silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good morning all

Seems a lot cooler this morning, we did have a little rain yesterday, makes it much more comfortable.

Did a few jobs in the garden yesterday, cut the lawn, weeding and cutting back shrubs, I was so tired afterwards.

Thinking of all those finding life difficult at the moment
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning and thank you for starting the thread silver-oldie.

We have a little bit of sun, lots of cloud but a decent breeze. I've got 3 mop heads drying on the line, they went into the washing machine overnight. So far this morning I've cleaned the oven and now I've got the cooker hood filters soaking in washing up liquid with some baking soda. This might be the sum of my efforts today.

Yesterday I wrote a quite long report, ate dinner and washed the kitchen floor. I made a tiny doll, well a doll and a half really, part of a set of 6.

I've put out some crumbs and bird seed and now two large magpies are squabbling over it. Looking out at them has shown me how much the windows want a clean so I'll read a book instead.

Hope everyone has a decent day, thoughts are with those who may be struggling.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • ScarletRibbons
    ScarletRibbons Posts: 2,071 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning, and thanks SO for starting off.
    Its grey and cool here, might warm up a bit.

Yesterday was busy, shopping and sorting out clothes for our holiday.

Our family in Oz Facetimed, which was lovely, we had a good chat. It's winter there, but not winter as we know it - their winter doesn't go on forever like ours seems to.

We were out last night at a concert given by our local choir, but were home by 10pm. It's always well supported, and we saw quite a few people we knew.

Today It'll be tidying, the place is a bit of a tip.

Hope everyone has as good a day as they can.
    Take care folks xx
  • TravellingAbuela
    TravellingAbuela Posts: 6,678 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning folks and thanks SO for starting us off. After a long string of rubbish nights I actually had a good sleep last night! It happens once in a while!

Must have been something in the air yesterday SO 'cos I finally made inroads into the jungle of a front garden. I couldn't bring myself to look at it any longer the state it was in. My achy painy legs were killing me and I had to make numerous pit stops along the way but I got it reasonably tidy in the end. The worst culprits got cut right back. The poor peonies were battered and blown right to the floor. Loads in bud or full flower so they are now in big vases all over the house. They look and smell lovely but I doubt they will last long indoors. Next year I must invest in some of those peony support frames. The hedge is in dire need of a good trim too but that's a step too far for me on my own.

Not a lot planned for today, probably the usual lazy Sunday. If I get bored the freezers are in need of a defrost and good tidy out! Not much sun forecast but no rain. We had a loud clap of thunder last night and that was it! Despite threatening black sky no rain followed.

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) as always for the poorlies, sad, worried or lonely and of course our absent friends. Good to have you back with us NAN after your holiday. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

It may become a fine day, the signs are hopeful.

My shopping trip was successful and when the visitor arrived I went out to become a visitor myself. And very nice it was too!

I bought some YS chicken wings which looked lovely, but Oh My... what a faff to eat. A load of effort for not much meat and all the seasoning smeared across my face. :rotfl: won't be doing that again.

It's been lovely to read all the good news here about grandchildren and children and families pulling together, thanks for all the sharing.

Happy Sunday to all.
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Its raining here !! it came as a bit of a shock to wake up to rain !! We had also left the washing on the line so have just got that in and will put it on a spin before drying it. Its meant to stop at 11 ish so fingers crossed it does as we are supposed to be bbq ing tonight.

A few jobs to do today need to do the overnight oats and my lunches for the next two days, and will empty the dw and reload and get some salads etc ready for dinner tonight.

I cleaned through downstairs yesterday and OH did upstairs, when dd came in she said how much cleaner and brighter it looked than when the cleaner was doing it, I found lots of things yesterday which suggested she was not doing a thorough job ( I dont think she has ever wiped a windowsill properly!!) so I am glad we made that decision.

Pup to take out later might go to the beach today as the rain will have bought all the tic's out to play.

Have good days all xx
  • TravellingAbuela
    TravellingAbuela Posts: 6,678 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good Samaritan to the rescue here! DS texted to say whilst walking Sky early this morning he couldn't help but notice the hedge looked out of control!! So he is on his way to tackle it. I'll be on hand to fill the garden wheelie with the trimmings! The sun is shining and no rain forecast to scupper the job! xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,405 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all
    Well the sun has got his hat on this morning thank goodness, as the washing didn't fully dry yesterday. I toyed with the idea of leaving it out overnight but someone lit a fire so that scuppered that idea ! It's back out this morning though and shouldn't take long to finish, but there is more ready to go out and another 2 loads waiting to be washed :(.
    Dad is coming for lunch, it will be pie and chips with peas but he's ok with that, I think he needs some social interaction as he hasn't "seen" anyone since we went away. (Except his Sat dinner pals, his neighbours and his club cronies :rotfl:)
    Hope everyone has a good Sunday.
    Take care all
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • Gintotmelinda
    Gintotmelinda Posts: 1,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 7 July 2019 at 12:09PM
    Options
    Hi all. It is sunny here today in defiance of the weather forecast. DH has gone to the East Somerset Railway to play with the steam trains. I am chilling here and doing a few odd jobs. I might even make a cake as it's a bit cooler.

TA hooray for a volunteer hedge cutter. Nanny W glad you had a good holiday. It'a coming back to the washing that isn't so great.

Well have a good Sunday folks. Hugs and spoons all round

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I know this isn't the right place to post but you are a clever lot so thought I would ask.
    A couple of days ago I bought 4 cans of beer from S*insburys only to find best before date Aug 2018. Tried to phone store but they don't seem to answer their phone so emailed customer service.

They have asked for a photo of my receipt, that's fine and said 'can you confirm your nectar card with us then we can get this refunded back to your card. As soon as you get back in touch with me I’ll be able to take this further'

Can they do that or can I ask for the money?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure