First time home buyer. Advice please.

Options
Hi all, this is my first post on the site. Me and my wife are recently married and have just purchased our first home. Well to the the point now, we're looking on saving money in the basic areas, Gas, Electric and water, who are the best/cheapest suppliers? Also who is the cheapest for telephone? We will be paying all of our utilities through direct debit. Thanks Neil
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam

Comments

• Norman-B
    Norman-B Posts: 1,638 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I stand by to get shot at but I have used Scottish Power for several years. I am on the "Online Capped Rate". This rate is capped (prices pegged) until 2006. I have found them OK to deal with.
    As for phones, try Talk talk and 18866. Mind you, there are other posters better able to advise you on the 'phone pages.

As for water, I don't know of any savings to be had there unless you change to metering?
    Norm
  • chateau42
    Options
    Look at Toucan, but also 1899 and 18866, lots of interesting savings. ie 1p for any hours call at peak, or whatever. Unbelievable, how long will it last!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The moving finger, having writ, moved on.
  • tizo
    Options
    for advice

email:
    ozituk@yahoo.com
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm also into saving money, and at 23 don't presently own a house.

There is no way I would become a first time buyer now, unless I wanted to feel sick when the prices come back down, which they will do, eventually.
  • mercurystar999
    Options
    Its all well and good saying house prices are going to come down but we've been waiting for years for this to happen. I can't see them falling by much if at all as there are still buyers. When we decided to buy we were looking at houses the day they came on sale, they were subsequently sold the next day and that has been the case with 90% of the houses we were looking at. A recent report published in our local paper said that Hereford, will be one of the least likely places for a house price crash.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Neil, well done on buying your home & getting married (so many people forget that second bit!!)

Your water bills won't be altered, 'cos you have to have it from the local company, regardless.

Getting a meter, possibly NOT a good idea, unless you've a BIG house, lots bedrooms & only you 2. Plus, no doubt there could be small people in the future - they know how to use water & spend money, without much help!!

No doubt the house already has gas/electric from some company, so, maybee best to hang on in there, for a while, 'till you've an idea of what your consumption will be.Then get your bills compared with another supplier, after say 6 months - you'll have had the colder months too, so heavier usage will show.

Whatever you do, get both fuels from same company,to obtain duel fuel discount.Your direct debit is good for budgeting & as you're on line, look for a paperless billing discount too.

VB
  • mercurystar999
    Options
    We have purchased a three bed house, there is only two of us so can there be savings made by having a water meter fitted? Do i have to keep the meter or can it be removed? Regards Neil
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Since moving into this house that already had a water meter, I'm now paying less than half I was when paying water rates. I believe if you have a water meter fitted you can change your mind & ask for it to be removed within 12 months. If like me you move into a property with one already installed, then you have no option for it to be removed.

You can phone the water board up & they will give you an average comparrison on how much you'd pay with a meter versus rates.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As a rough estimate, if you have more bedrooms than people in the house, you MAY be saving, by fitting a meter.

But if you choose to fit one, check with your water company, how long you have, to get it removed, if you're not happy with savings.

I'd say you need to be living there for a while, before thinking on a meter.

VB
  • mercurystar999
    Options
    Definately going for the water meter then! I received an e-mailfrom someone telling me that he was from a compant called Telecom plus saying that they provide the cheapest Gas and Electric. He said that i wouldn't see them on comparison sites due to the fact they won't pay them commission? They don't advertise, all together this means the savings are past on to the customer. Who are they and are they a fiddle? They have a website as well called https://www.lowerhtebills.co.uk. Thanks Neil
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure