PIP assessment ordeal - mental health probkems

Options
smilingontheoutside
smilingontheoutside Posts: 23 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 17 August 2019 at 10:39PM in Benefits & tax credits
Good evening all. I'm very nervous about posting but i would really appreciate it anyone could drag some positives out of my PIP f2f assessment. Please forgive my rambling...
My problem is a very severe and treatment resistant depression - sectioned many times, spent years in hospital, weird and wonderful drug concoction from a professor of mood disorders and currentky being worked up fir transcranial magnetic stimulation.. Most interventions have sadly limited effect - but some slight improvements occasionally. And so yes I work. My job is very skilled and would involve direct patient care - if I was allowed to do any of that. As it is, I'm in a back office with very little outside contact with other professionals. I am doing work well below my paygrade - but my employer are keen to support me in work as long as is feasibly possible . They have known me for a very long time and they do care about me. But it is an uphill battle and I feel, and it does often, that it's going to break down. There's only so much they can take - I understand that so I am very anxious about losing my job. I try desperately hard to be "normal" but it is a battle I'm losing, bit by bit. My husband gave up his work to be my full time carer, fetches and carries me, cooks, cleans, shops. Everything. Completing the pip form was awful as I'm sure you're all aware, having to concentrate in on those aspects of my life that I've lost and have to have others do for me, left me struggling badly. I know all of that is there - I just try hard to block it out and get on as best I can - which isn't very well often. My form went in last Friday- i had my f2f yesterday. I don't think it went very well �� I was really wobbly (emotionally) going in. The assessor didn't introduce herself or tell me her background. She clearly hadn't read the documents I'd submitted - but i was prepared for that i think. She was very abrupt and inpatient. Tapping away very loudly on her computer so that she didn't hear my replies, so she asked again - obviously quite irritated. A couple of times I struggled to recall a word for a couple of seconds and she almost shouted at me. Which made me cry and my responses even more hard to hear. She only asked about the physical aspects of daily living- things that I can do but don't because I don't see the point. Because I can't see the point in anything�� Then she finally asked a couple of questions regarding my illness and treatments but she didn't let me answer fully and there was so much more I needed to say. She prodded and challenged and unearthed my deepest darkest secrets - I wasn't prepared for that. I was broken hearted and left in bits. She said she had written that I was "Very depressed, flat and anxious". I'm not sure that'll cut it. The whole assessment took less than 30minutes. Right now, I feel I am going to lose my award (higher rate care, lower rate mobility DLA. Indefinite award since 2003) and I am at risk of losing my job too �� I feel quite desperate.
If you've read this far - thank you and bless you. Does anyone have any words of comfort? Thank you

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    The next thing to do in about a weeks time is to contact the number on the letters about moving to PIP and ask for a copy of the assessment a PA4, that will tell you on the back pages where you have scored points, it will say for example 1)b 2) c 3)b etc etc you can then go here ....
    http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php
    To work out what you have been awarded/or not as the case maybe, you then have to wait for the DWP to contact you with the official decision and if you don't agree ask for a mandatory reconsideration within four weeks. But it can take between 6-12 weeks to get a decision from the DWP.

Meanwhile and its easy to say hard to do, try and put it out of your mind, I told myself what will be weill be.

Hope all goes well but come back if you need further help we're a friendly bunch here
  • smilingontheoutside
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. It is soul destroying isn't it? Expecting those who have no fight or self worth - to fight for themselves. To prove what they can't do - when you try really hard to cope and hold it together.
    I will call for my assessment - would it be unheard if to call a day earlier? If i call on Friday- there's the weekend and bank holiday so it would be Tuesday at the earliest. The worry is going to make me ill.
    Hope you got what you were entitled to in the end?
    Thanks
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The end of next week will be fine to ring DWP/PIP for a copy of the report, providing you live in the UK they will send it to you. If you do speak to someone that refuses to send it out, just ring again to speak to someone different and they'll probably agree to send it.

Your DLA will continue until a decision's been made on the PIP. Hopefully it's good news. Good luck.
  • smilingontheoutside
    Options
    Thanks Poppy. That's a good tip ;-)
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 August 2019 at 10:01AM
    Options
    Please don't worry, I'm not sure my assessor introduced herself & certainly never mentioned her profession. She was kinder than the one you had though & said it was OK for my sister, who had accompanied me, to speak & answer some question or elaborate where I had difficulty. I think the assessment lasted no more than 30mins.
    I really didn't hold out much hope for an award due to horror stories you hear, though prayed for at least standard care. Like you I had been granted a DLA indefinite award of high care, lower mobility some years back.

When the award came it showed that the assessor was a physiotherapist & had put down lots of incorrect info & said she had asked questions that she hadn't & she hadn't given me some points where I definitely should have received them. In spite of this I was surprised to find she had recommended enhanced for both & an ongoing award.

I know it's easy for me to say, but try to take some encouragement from positive stories. From your description you certainly sound as if you qualify at least on the care component. Good luck & I'm hoping that within the next few weeks you'll come back to tell us your fears were unfounded & you've qualified for at least the comparable DLA award you currently have.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • smilingontheoutside
    Options
    Thanks Carrie. It is good to read a positive story. As you say it's mostly horror stories out there. I 'll try to have hope - some thing I struggle with in life generally. I am pleased to hear it worked out well for you x
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    "She said she had written that I was "Very depressed, flat and anxious". I'm not sure that'll cut it."

I would have a different take on her comment, and I suspect it might well result in a PIP award.

The problem with PIP assessments often occurs when the assessor relies solely on their informal observations and the Mental State Examination (MSE), to refute what the claimant has told them about their mental health history and day-to-day difficulties.
    If your assessor wrote in her report "Very depressed, flat and anxious", then the inference (for me), is that her report will recognise your poor mental health. Particularly as she told you at the assessment that this phrase would be included.

Also, remember that many people claim PIP and are working.

Of course, we are both speculating.
    Come back here when you get the outcome, if you do need help to take it further, help is available. The assessment is not the end of the process.
    But I hope (and think) your fears won't be realised. Try not to worry overmuch.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • smilingontheoutside
    Options
    Thank you so much Alice. Your words are very comforting. I will report back one way or the other. I don't think I have it in me to take it further. Is there a time limit in which to appeal? Thanks again x
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thank you so much Alice. Your words are very comforting. I will report back one way or the other. I don't think I have it in me to take it further. Is there a time limit in which to appeal? Thanks again x

The first thing is a mandatory reconsideration within four weeks that can change a bad decision in around 18% of cases, if that doesn't succeed then you have four weeks in which to appeal.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If the decision doesn't go in your favour and you miss the 1 month rule then with good reason you have 13 months to request the MR and Tribunal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure