Solicitors asking for GP letter

Options
2»

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm not saying it's a problem, I'm just asking for information as I don't know about these things and he was asking me to help him to find out why.

I think perhaps they meant his issue with it. Although I could be totally wrong :D

He possibly feels they're questioning his capacity, rather than trying to avoid questions of it. I don't think the solicitor is doing it to cover his own !!! - his client has asked him how best to ensure his wishes are seen to and he is trying to achieve that. A solicitor takes instruction from the client - although they should advise appropriately.

What if someone alleges you and your spouse coerced him? People can get very bitter over money. What if he does lose capacity? He is after all making provisions for that specific eventuality. Its not to undermine his wishes but to ensure they are upheld. That if he ever loses capacity, it can be shown that these were his wishes when he certified sound of mind and there can be no challenge to his capacity.

I realise I sound like I'm lecturing you, I'm not. Just trying to provide suggestions on how to sell it to him. He clearly trusts you to make decisions on his behalf in the future so he should be inclined to trust your judgement now.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Mrsemmapage
    Options
    Thank you,
    I think your right and did say to him that this, was probably why, I think he took offence to it as he felt the solicitor was so how talking down to him. I will speak to him later and explain, I thi k maybe if he's unhappy with this solicitor, he could perhaps get the letter and find another solicitor to help. Bless him, he's so lovely and wants to get his affairs in order but has a tendancy to get flustered with everything.
    We've sort of taken him under our wing and he's staying with us as unwell and is part of our family now.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,771 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you,
    I think your right and did say to him that this, was probably why, I think he took offence to it as he felt the solicitor was so how talking down to him. I will speak to him later and explain, I thi k maybe if he's unhappy with this solicitor, he could perhaps get the letter and find another solicitor to help. Bless him, he's so lovely and wants to get his affairs in order but has a tendancy to get flustered with everything.
    We've sort of taken him under our wing and he's staying with us as unwell and is part of our family now.
    Thank goodness the solicitor has taken the line he has - this is just the sort of situation where an aggrieved family member will pop up after this lovely man dies, claiming you have exerted undue influence. Taking sensible steps now should avoid a load of misery later.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Mrsemmapage
    Options
    Of course, I understand now, that this covers everyone, him, the solicitor and us, should there be any recompense later. I'm trying to help him as much as I can, however not having had much experience in this situ and seeing how upset he was when he had seen the solicitor, I thought best to get some advice. My husband and I are trying to arrange things for him, taking him to Dr's, helping sort his house out, that's got a bit out of hand. Bless his heart, he's trying to get all his ducks in a row before he has a heart op, which is stressing him, so hopefully I can reassure him that no one is trying to say he's loopy, just wanting to do the best for him.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure