What Do You Do Every Day?

Options
I have been trying to keep a hold on my finances, have as many no spend days as possible, and stop buying things unnecessarily. I have found that checking the balance of my current account is helping me focus. This made me wonder, what small (but important) things do you do every day to keep you focussed?

I have also been trying to drink 3L water every day and hit my goal of 10k steps (but don't always manage) My friend recommends a mindfulness app but I haven't tried it yet.
MBNA (Was £2000), Now £2, 900 (Expected date Dec/2020)
CAR (Was £300) Now
£2, 000 (Interest free loan from family member)

**Want to be on my way to being debt free for 42**

Comments

• fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    I like to update my diary on here every day. It makes me look at my plan, think about where I'm heading and spot any mistakes that I'm making.

Keeping a spending diary really helped me at the start, though now I feel I've got it under control I'm not really seeing any benefit from it, it's more of a habit now. Great tool to let you see where you went wrong though!

I don't make any big purchases for at least 24 hours. When I decide I'm going to buy something, I wait 24 hours and then decide again! It's stopped me making a few irrational purchases. It's really hard to get your head around "wants" and "needs". Right now I want new centre caps for my wheels on the car as the current ones are a bit shabby and they're spoiling the appearance. Do I need to buy them at £68 a set - NO!

I'm also on 2L+ of water a day so can relate. I don't like fizzy drinks (except beer) so I don't struggle with water, and Mrs fatrab can spot the day's I've not drank enough. My lips go white and I get a headache!
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• onedaysomeday
    Options
    I second the above - posting/reading on here really helps! I believe this site and reading other's diaries and starting challenges has been the most helpful and motivating part about starting to become debt free :)
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:
  • LearningtoAdult
    Options
    I definitely find reading other peoples diaries on here keeps me motivated. When i stop coming her i find i stray and i start spending irrationally again.
  • One-step-at-a-time
    Options
    Hello!
    I check all of my accounts over my morning coffee, reconcile any spending on my budget spreadsheet after work, and check in on here to browse daily.

For my health I always drink loads of water (and really have trouble concentrating if I start to get dehydrated) and go for a walk every lunchtime with music on to clear the brain cobwebs.

Budget pots and NSDs are the other big thing.
    2018 has a zero clothes budget (not counting necessary replacement of undies) - so far this year, pretty much the only non meal/grocery/travel/bills spending I've done has been on buying a new domain name and a pot of paint.
    Debt-free August 21, Mortgage-neutral April 24
  • I second the above - posting/reading on here really helps! I believe this site and reading other's diaries and starting challenges has been the most helpful and motivating part about starting to become debt free :)

Hi!

I know what you mean, I love reading other people's posts and I love the feeling of community on here, but I do find that I get distracted and lose track of time, which means I don't always do what I had come online to do.....
    CAR (Was £300) Now

• fatrab wrote: »
    I like to update my diary on here every day. It makes me look at my plan, think about where I'm heading and spot any mistakes that I'm making.

Keeping a spending diary really helped me at the start, though now I feel I've got it under control I'm not really seeing any benefit from it, it's more of a habit now. Great tool to let you see where you went wrong though!

I don't make any big purchases for at least 24 hours. When I decide I'm going to buy something, I wait 24 hours and then decide again! It's stopped me making a few irrational purchases. It's really hard to get your head around "wants" and "needs". Right now I want new centre caps for my wheels on the car as the current ones are a bit shabby and they're spoiling the appearance. Do I need to buy them at £68 a set - NO!

I'm also on 2L+ of water a day so can relate. I don't like fizzy drinks (except beer) so I don't struggle with water, and Mrs fatrab can spot the day's I've not drank enough. My lips go white and I get a headache!

I might start updating my diary on here every day (I will actually have to either start a new one or update the old one) How did you do your spending diary? An app? Or a physical notebook/diary?

I have been having a "cooling off" period for purchases, but I have had a problems where I have thought I have bought a birthday present for someone, and I actually haven't as the item(s) are still in my basket! Not as big a problem for adults, but for the kids can be quite awkward.... I now "owe" my neighbours daugher a 21st birthday present!

I *love* fizzy drinks, and its a real struggle to reduce the amount I have in a daily basis but I have been drinking more water. I am thinking about adding soda water to diluting juice as a substitute for pepsi
    CAR (Was £300) Now

• fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    I don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners and the amount of sugar in non-diet drinks is too calorific so I just decided to stop drinking them one day, probably about 10 years ago. I used to drink glass bottles of Irn Bru by the truckload! The odd time I'll have a can of Ginger Beer or very rarely Pepsi. Most of the time I'm out for a meal or at the pub if staying sober I'll have soda water and lime.

I use an app called spending tracker. Does exactly what it says on the tin!
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I try to eat the same breakfast every work day (yoghurt fruit & tea).

I try to study Italian vocab before passing out each night.

I have to take my medication, so I'm usually virtuous about brushing my teeth as well.

Then the phone makes checking my email, facebook & this forum easy, although having to live an offline life interrupts that!
  • nkkingston
    nkkingston Posts: 488 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Duolingo is a great little habit former for learning a language. I've being doing Swedish and Norwegian for over a year now. It's good to get into a routine, but it's also handy if you're stuck waiting for a delayed train or sitting in the waiting room at the doctors. I injured myself a few months back, requiring surgery, and I swear Duolingo's kept me sane at the fracture clinic and physio!
    Mortgage
    June 2016: £93,295
    September 2021: £66,490
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I check my banks every day. Some more than once (for example moving money between main account and card covering account so that the money is there to pay IN FULL) As well as my finances spreadsheet. I then adjust each as necessary.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure