PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• laineyc_2
    Options
    I only had to buy milk today. The biscuit tin needs topping up a bit more so I will be making Twink's hobnobs this evening. I have a big Asda shop coming a week on Saturday. I think I will wind up pretty close to my target but my freezer and store cupoboard should be brimming. That will make March more manageable and I will lower my budget accordingly.
    GC 2011 Feb £626.89/£450 NSD3/7 March £531.26/£450 April £495.99/£500 NSD 0/7 May £502.79/£500
    June £511.99/£480 July £311.56/£480
  • orchid-96
    Options
    Todays dinner hasn't gone to plan as I put the chicken in the oven too late for us to all have - so the kids have had omelette and spaghetti and we are having a quiche out of the freezer with beans......b4 challenge I would have probably gone out for mcdonalds or chippy so am really pleased.....so that will now be roast chicken with sweet potato wedges and coleslaw tomorrow yum....for us all (apart from ds's school friend who I pick up every other wednesday, she is very fussy so will have to do her some fishfingers and chips I spose...

thats 2 nsd's for me woo hoo, only 2 more to go....(if I make it!!) Love the sound of those pony carrots, bet there are some really funny shapes in there :rotfl: in the old days you could have sent them to 'thats life'
    Jun GC £250.00/£12.40 NSD 3 / 30

January 200/198.91 February 200/239.28 March 200/230
    April 250/no idea May 250/265.95

Sealed pot challenge number 648
  • sexki11en
    sexki11en Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    Options
    Hmmmm....not sure we're gonna do this (again) this month. Will have to tot everything up since Friday. It might help that we picked up our new (ebay) chest freezer yesterday (I'm SO excited about that lol) so now I don't have to worry about batch cooking. My problem was, I was taking out a small mince and having to put back at least 3 more meals into the freezer!

I've also discovered that our local bread shop does 2-4-1 at closing time and always seem to have large white loaves so that's £1.30 for 2. One goes in the freezer and the other in the bread bin. Now I can buy lots and keep them in the freezer lol. I have baked my own occasionally but OH isn't keen for sarnies and I don't always have time working full time. A lot of our weekends are spent away, although we're trying to curb that now we're down to 6 months before the wedding and having to save hard (hence the GC) We both take our own lunch to work now as well which we didn't do before and we're sticking to the meal plans.

I also planted chilli, tomato, courgette, pepper, basil and corriander seeds this weekend just gone and will have more time at home this summer over the weekends to actually look after them. The garlic and potatoes are already well on their way. The cut n come again lettuce I will plant over the next week or so.

Wow - what a waffle lol. Sorry :o

Edited to add: I forgot to say we should be OK for March as we have enough main meals/meat in the freezer currently to see us through until around 20th March so although we might not do fab this month - next month I should be able to lower the budget considerably.

SK x
    After 4 years of heartache, 3 rounds of IVF and 1 loss :A - we are finally expecting our miracle Ki11en - May 2014 :j

And a VERY surprise miracle in March 2017!
  • *BigBird*
    *BigBird* Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    Options
    Did a big shop in Mr T yesterday so I could get the 5p off fuel voucher and ended up spending £67.53 :eek: I got quite a bit of stuff that's gone in the freezer though, so it'll last a good while. Then spent another £2.78 in the greengrocer today on courgette, sweet potato and some HUGE free range eggs. It's a really nice greengrocer, but not one I'm near very often unfortunately.

OH's dad is letting us have his holiday cottage this weekend. I'd already planned to make OH's favourite beef & guinness stew for Valentine's day (much cheaper than a vastly over-priced meal out just because it's a "special occasion"!), so we'll take all of the ingredients with us and make it there. It'll be a nice little Valentine's getaway - and most importantly, a cheap one!! :D

Off to make some carrot, tomato, butternut squash, sweet potato and anything-else-I-find-lurking-in-the-fridge soup now :p I bought a stockpot in Ikea a few weeks ago and it is now my most favouritest kitchen item - I can chuck loads of stuff in there and turn it into soup. Happy days.
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
  • orchid-96
    Options
    I am thinking of planting some seeds, but only have a small garden (well decking area lol) is there anything edible that I can plant in pots? (other than herbs as dh did do some of those last year)
    Jun GC £250.00/£12.40 NSD 3 / 30

January 200/198.91 February 200/239.28 March 200/230
    April 250/no idea May 250/265.95

Sealed pot challenge number 648
  • egon
    egon Posts: 439 Forumite
    Options
    I needed eggs and spend £2.82 at the green grocers.I also bought some bananas. I like going in there, as it stops me spending too much, as their fruit and veg are lots of money.

We ended up having 7 kids for dinner. So they had tiny toads with magic mash and peas. It went down a treat. And very inexpensive.
    DH and I are now having Take away later, when he gets back from rugby coaching.
    We usually eat together, but with 7 kids at the table..............
    I wish Germany had a website like moneysavingexpert!
  • seabright
    Options
    I've just bought some seeds too. This is my plan:
    1. Mustard & Cress - to have in my lunchtime sandwiches
    2. Hanging basket tomatoes
    3. Runner beans - OH's favourite veg. Am hoping there will be enough to freeze.
    Trouble is, other than mustard & cress, these are all months away from being useful
  • searching_me
    searching_me Posts: 18,414 Forumite
    Options
    hello everyone havent posted but been keeping tabs ... been spending most my time on pregnancy board :D but i got £50 leave :( little worried but will try to be good... i got cravings for pot noodles so doing my best not to go in Mr S he temps me to spend :rotfl: hope your all well xxx
    :)Still searching .....:)
  • kazzys51
    Options
    hi there,sorry for the intrusion dont know if this is the right place to ask this but here goes do you buy organic meat/veg? if so do you think that you get a better deal really? i try to buy organic where i can but sometimes when meat is concerned its sometimes more fatty for example £3.69 for 500g of organic lean mince from tesco now and then is really grizzly comparing to £3.50 for 800g of normal lean mince and with veg can sometimes be really bad well b4 sell by i kno this is hard for them to get rid of pests but i guess im trying to weigh up even though its organic does that mean its better for you? what do you think? thanks kazzys
  • jakesmummy86
    Options
    Hi,

I am new to this and am very skint at the moment! I have £80 left until the 27th of February to feed myself, my Husband and my 2 year old son. Any tips would be very welcome!

X :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport