CCTV DVR upgrade

Options
mutley74
mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 6 December 2017 at 9:35PM in Techie Stuff
My dad has a CCTV system on his house and the DVR was playing up. It is unbranded made H264 type fitted 7 years ago/
Its connected to 3 cameras which are 420 TVL and has a 500gb HDD and 12 V power supply. Also connected to the TVs.
Although it has an Ethernet connection we have not could not get it to work remotely.

As the HDD was playing up I was looking to either change the HDD which is SATA 3.0 gb/s 7200 rpm
type Hitachi MLC: JPT3EA (don't know how to show photos on MSE of the DVR internal).

OR... change the DVR to one we can connect the same camera straight into and hopefully being able to connect to the router for remote access.

Welcome any advice on which model/brand would be compatible with the system and with easy to setup remote access.

thanks

Comments

• Frozen_up_north
    Options
    A friend has recently bought a Floureon CCTV system from an eBay supplier. It's performance is brilliant, both day and night, and incredibly cheap. Before spending a lot fixing an old system, it's worth a look at what a new system can offer.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mutley74 wrote: »
    My dad has a CCTV system on his house and the DVR was playing up. It is unbranded made H264 type fitted 7 years ago/
    Its connected to 3 cameras which are 420 TVL and has a 500gb HDD and 12 V power supply. Also connected to the TVs.
    Although it has an Ethernet connection we have not could not get it to work remotely.

As the HDD was playing up I was looking to either change the HDD which is SATA 3.0 gb/s 7200 rpm
    type Hitachi MLC: JPT3EA (don't know how to show photos on MSE of the DVR internal).

OR... change the DVR to one we can connect the same camera straight into and hopefully being able to connect to the router for remote access.

Welcome any advice on which model/brand would be compatible with the system and with easy to setup remote access.

thanks

Noooooo

Thats a desktop hard drive designed for fast seeks and shorter term, use not a DVR recording 24/7 type hard drive.

DVR hard drives tend to be a bit slower and run cooler and designed to run 24/7 for years.

I bought a cheap 16 channel DVR from an ebay seller, but local so i could collect it. No issues.

The web interface works no problem. Even set to email me alerts if needed. Dont use your main email address, make one up especially for it.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• mutley74
    Options
    Noooooo

Thats a desktop hard drive designed for fast seeks and shorter term, use not a DVR recording 24/7 type hard drive.

DVR hard drives tend to be a bit slower and run cooler and designed to run 24/7 for years.

I bought a cheap 16 channel DVR from an ebay seller, but local so i could collect it. No issues.

The web interface works no problem. Even set to email me alerts if needed. Dont use your main email address, make one up especially for it.
    that is the current HDD in the DVR. Its been going for 7 years but I am trying to persuade my dad to get a DVR which enables remote viewing.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    The drives intended for use in CCTV and TV recorders are Western Digital “Purple” series drives, or similar models from other manufacturers.

https://www.wdc.com/en-gb/products/internal-storage/wd-purple.html
  • mutley74
    Options
    The drives intended for use in CCTV and TV recorders are Western Digital “Purple” series drives, or similar models from other manufacturers.

https://www.wdc.com/en-gb/products/internal-storage/wd-purple.html

rather than change the hard drive, prefer to change the cameras and/or DVR.

One installer came round to give us a free survey & quote. he said 1080p cameras will not work on a cat 5 cable system .....I thought cat 5 compatible with 1080p cameras?
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    . he said 1080p cameras will not work on a cat 5 cable system ?

Total rubbish.

What he probly meant was that the particular ones that HE was selling would not work through cat5
  • mutley74
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Total rubbish.

What he probly meant was that the particular ones that HE was selling would not work through cat5

this installer was recommending 720p cameras on the existing cat5 circuit, saying cable would need replacing to co-axial to run a 1018p system (we thought cat 5 was supposed to be future proof)!
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    this installer was recommending 720p cameras on the existing cat5 circuit, saying cable would need replacing to co-axial to run a 1018p system (we thought cat 5 was supposed to be future proof)!

There are “high definition” analogue systems, such as Floureon, which work over coax, they are typically 2 mega pixel cameras and cost little more for a full system than a single camera from Swann!

I have a Swann network video system that uses 4 mega pixel cameras and runs over cat 5 network cable and is powered from the recorder via the cat 5 cable. The cost is 3 or 4 times that of a Floureon system and appears to be no better...

It’s also worth considering a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) to avoid glitches in the mains supply causing problems, mine is a BE700G by APC that cost just over £70 last June from eBay, it’s silent in operation.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Does he happen to have a job lot of cheap 720P cameras for sale?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure