Cooling off period for online software

Options
Hi,

We trialed a web based program and few months later decided to use it. We signed up, there is no contract, but company told us that there is 1 month notice to be given on all cancelations. We used the program for 10 days and cancelled, company told us we have to pay subscription for next month due to 1 month cancellation terms.

Do we or don't we get the 14 day cooling off period in this situation, considering that we have had a trial of the program?

Thanks.

Comments

• marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I believe that the cooling off period ends as soon as you start to use the product or service, sure someone will be along to quote the relevant legislation soon.
  • kozlikha
    kozlikha Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    They said as it's a subscription ie I have not purchased a product it doesn't come with cooling off period. Unless it's a loophole, it's strange. Anyone?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You need to give more details about the product and subscription. Drip feeding information isn't helpful.
  • kozlikha
    Options
    It's pretty much all there is to it. They of course have their own terms, I was simply wondering whether signing up to an online subscription comes with 14 day cooling off period or doesn't it.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Doesn't matter, a cooling off period gives you time to think about whether you want the product or not. When you start using it you give up this right. You are now stuck with their cancellation terms.

You say you trialed it for months? Then why on earth would you ever think you were still in the 14 day cooling off period.
  • kozlikha
    Options
    Oh my. Not for months. Don't worry. Trial was 2 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure