Compensation from EDF

Options
Chenksy
Chenksy Posts: 6 Forumite
Hi folks
I ll try and keep this as brief as possible, I joined edf in September and my bills had been estimated until February when I phoned in a reading for my gas of 11 thousand odd units, they told me the last actual reading they had was 6 thousand odd in September so they asked me to provide daily readings for a week which I did
No one called me so I sent a number of emails asking when they would call which were ignored so last week I called them and the guy dealing with me wasn't available, he phoned on Monday and he thought the issue was with my electricity which it wasn't so after being put on hold 3 times for 5 mins each time he tells me they will take my meter out and get it checked.
Yesterday he called to say the meter check had been declined and the problem was that the reading from September 2017 was actually a reading from 2 years earlier when I left them and not a reading of 10 thousand which should have been used which my previous supplier had gave them, so for 2 months I've been worried sick I might owe thousand and I've been moaning at the family every time they put heating on etc
They said they will call today and offer me compensation but I've not got a clue what to look for or to expect so I'm wondering if anyone has been in a similar position and how much they were offered
I should add I've been on to the ombudsman and they say I've got a good case but they won't get involved until 8 weeks after the initial complaint or from when I receive a deadlock letter
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• PaschalFun
    PaschalFun Posts: 241 Forumite
    Options
    Chenksy wrote: »
    Hi folks
    I ll try and keep this as brief as possible, I joined edf in September and my bills had been estimated until February when I phoned in a reading for my gas of 11 thousand odd units, they told me the last actual reading they had was 6 thousand odd in September so they asked me to provide daily readings for a week which I did
    No one called me so I sent a number of emails asking when they would call which were ignored so last week I called them and the guy dealing with me wasn't available, he phoned on Monday and he thought the issue was with my electricity which it wasn't so after being put on hold 3 times for 5 mins each time he tells me they will take my meter out and get it checked.
    Yesterday he called to say the meter check had been declined and the problem was that the reading from September 2017 was actually a reading from 2 years earlier when I left them and not a reading of 10 thousand which should have been used which my previous supplier had gave them, so for 2 months I've been worried sick I might owe thousand and I've been moaning at the family every time they put heating on etc
    They said they will call today and offer me compensation but I've not got a clue what to look for or to expect so I'm wondering if anyone has been in a similar position and how much they were offered
    I should add I've been on to the ombudsman and they say I've got a good case but they won't get involved until 8 weeks after the initial complaint or from when I receive a deadlock letter
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated

The ombudsman is correct.

The supplier must be given sufficient time to resolve your complaint themselves. This is set at no more than 8 weeks.

If the supplier gives you a final response to the complaint prior to 8 weeks without mutual agreement (this is normally annotated as a 'deadlock' letter) , then you can at that point escalate the matter to the ombudsman even if less than 8 weeks have elapsed.
  • Chenksy
    Options
    Thanks for that, I really don't have a clue what reasonable compensation is, or what they normally offer in circumstances like this as I said it has caused me a load of worry and stress, not to mention time spent on the phone and emailing them
  • PaschalFun
    edited 13 April 2018 at 2:15PM
    Options
    How would a few £million sound? Aim high! :D

Then take whatever they offer, as the ombudsman doesn't usually do compo for unquantifiable losses - only goodwilll gestures; typically about £50
  • Chenksy
    Options
    Eh, aye that'll do lol
  • PaschalFun
    Options
    Eh, aye that'll do lol

I thought that was what you were after :)
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for that, I really don't have a clue what reasonable compensation is, or what they normally offer in circumstances like this as I said it has caused me a load of worry and stress, not to mention time spent on the phone and emailing them

All of which could have been avoided had you taken responsibility for your energy consumption, read the meters every month and submitted the readings to EDF. It would also have avoided estimated bills. Why should you be compensated for being irresponsible?
  • Chenksy
    Options
    Well obviously it wouldn’t have been avoided when they were using a figure from 2 years ago when I left the company as the starting figure from when I rejoined them added to that they have admitted they are at fault plus the fact that they have said they will offer me compensation just goes to prove that what you have said is obviously nonsense, but thanks for your input and taking the time to reply:beer:
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I appreciate that. My point was, had you sent them monthly readings, they would (should) have realised their mistake before they did and spared you some of that worry. Hope you get it all sorted soon.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You've asked for advice and that given by Smodlet is the same as mine.

Read you meter monthly and check your on-line account.

Leaving it for the best part of six months and getting an estimate has just caused you a lot more grief that if you'd kept an eye on what was going on. and sent in a reading after a month and checked your account you would have had it sorted out last October and would be whinging at the ombudsman.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Chenksy
    Options
    You are correct regarding the monthly readings, as for it being sorted last October I!!!8217;m not quite sure how u come to that conclusion, as for !!!8220;whinging!!!8221; to the ombudsman if contacting them for guidance and information is !!!8220;whinging!!!8221; then Im guilty, at the end of the day the error was on their part and it took them 2 months and loads of unanswered emails and shocking customer service to discover the issue from when it was brought to their attention, if i treated my customers in the same manner then I wouldn!!!8217;t have any
    Thanks for the reply
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport