I haven’t given a meter reading for years - what happens now?

Options
MrsCautious
MrsCautious Posts: 1,567 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
Hello, I’d welcome any guidance. I have contacted my gas/electric supplier (Utility Warehouse) about this but not heard back.

I gave meter readings last week for the first time in 3 years. This was due to various reasons connected with access limitations and stressful complications I won’t bore you with.

I’m just interested in what happens now. If I’ve been paying too much (which I think is likely) do I get a refund? Do I get money off my upcoming bills? If I owe money is it likely to be added to my upcoming bills or is it likely I will be given a one-off charge?

Thanks to anyone who can help. I’ve been quite ill with depression/anxiety and I think this is playing on my mind a little too much!

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I presume you have been receiving regular statements from UW. What is the metering on the last bill you had - it would have a letter E against it? How does this compare with the reading you have just given ?

Over the last few years I presume UW have been billing you on the basis of estimated readings and you have been paying by DD. Again look at your last bill - how much does this say you owe?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • MrsCautious
    Options
    Thank you I will have a look. Yes I!!!8217;ve been paying estimated bills for that time.
  • Flt._Lt._Biggles
    Options
    Hello, I!!!8217;d welcome any guidance. I have contacted my gas/electric supplier (Utility Warehouse) about this but not heard back.

I gave meter readings last week for the first time in 3 years. This was due to various reasons connected with access limitations and stressful complications I won!!!8217;t bore you with.

I!!!8217;m just interested in what happens now. If I!!!8217;ve been paying too much (which I think is likely) do I get a refund? Do I get money off my upcoming bills? If I owe money is it likely to be added to my upcoming bills or is it likely I will be given a one-off charge?

Thanks to anyone who can help. I!!!8217;ve been quite ill with depression/anxiety and I think this is playing on my mind a little too much!

Your next bill will be calculated taking into account the meter reading you have just provided.

Any debit/credit will be shown on that bill.
    Depending how large a debit/credit exists, your monthly DD may be adjusted in the future.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It should be quite obvious if you are in debit or credit-just compare your actual meter readings to the estimated ones on your last bill.
    From there, you can calculate the approx amount if you wish: work out the usage difference and multiply by the unit kWh cost.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You are obliged to have a safety check on your gas meter at least every two years (less now?)and they can break in if you refuse access,as a faulty system could threaten the safety of others.
  • MeterMan
    MeterMan Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    You are obliged to have a safety check on your gas meter at least every two years (less now?)and they can break in if you refuse access,as a faulty system could threaten the safety of others.

Can you direct me to literature about this as I have been a meterman for ten years and never heard of this.
  • welshbookworm
    welshbookworm Posts: 2,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 April 2018 at 7:31PM
    Options
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ofgem-publications/42361/5875-factsheetmeteraccuracy-and-billingdisputes-pdf
    'Suppliers are required to read and inspect your meter(s) at least every two years;
    although some suppliers may visit more frequently. '
    Gas safety checks are the responsibility of the landlord/ owner.
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • MeterMan
    MeterMan Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ofgem-publications/42361/5875-factsheetmeteraccuracy-and-billingdisputes-pdf
    'Suppliers are required to read and inspect your meter(s) at least every two years;
    although some suppliers may visit more frequently. '
    Gas safety checks are the responsibility of the landlord/ owner.

That's not a safety check, There is very little to check visually on an electric or gas meter.

The check is to ensure that you haven't tampered or the meter hasn't become physically damaged through an internal fault.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The 2 year requirement was dropped in April 16. Suppliers now have to base their inspection visits on a risk assessment basis. Under the current Standard Licence Conditions, suppliers have to obtain a meter reading every 12 months. The way that this reading is obtained is no longer specified.
  • MrsCautious
    Options
    My supplier has been contacting me regularly to request a meter reading and at one point I spoke to them on the phone and they raised the question of access in an emergency, it's a bit of a blur as I have been hit by three close bereavements and trying to get back on my feet. I have now compared the estimated bill with the actual readings and it appears I may have paid a small sum over on my gas and am a tiny bit under on my electricity. Thanks for advice given, it's appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure