I need a new television

Options
My 32" Sony Bravia LCD television is on the way out. It has developed white lines across the screen. It looks like an A4 lined writing pad underneath or within the picture.

Anyway, I'd appreciate your views on the following:

It's on most days and has lasted 9 years, is that pretty good?

I think I'd like another Sony but what has a better picture quality?

I'm not interested in 3D or a curved screen but what other new tech options are worth investigating?

Thanks

Nile
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.

Comments

• another_casualty
    another_casualty Posts: 6,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I suppose it comes dow to what you are used to, what you want and how much you want to spend :)
    For me it's always been toshiba . Prices are not too bad on the whole.
    I too have 32" with a blue ray DVD built in . Cost me about £450 from amazon about 4 years ago.
    Horses for courses. :)
  • Mike_Newcomb
    Mike_Newcomb Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Nile, I would say if your tv has given 9 years trouble free viewing that is excellent.

It is not worth getting repaired, as at this age other troubles could develop.

Sony are good. I have just purchased one - 32" Flat Screen Smart from Richer here in London. They (not the maker) include a 6 year guarantee.

Good Luck - Mike
  • alex_163163
    alex_163163 Posts: 310 Forumite
    Options
    I'm personally a fan of Samsung TVs.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    LG are pretty good these days , another vote for local richer sounds as they offer totally impartial advice and know what they are talking about

And free 6 year warranty as mentioned
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 6 June 2017 at 11:01PM
    Options
    As far as technology is concerned, I think the following are worth having:

- Smart functionality. When I bought my last TV I didn't want to get a smart TV thinking it was an unnecessary feature that drove the price up. I use it all the time now for iPlayer and Netflix. Although there are other ways to get smart content that provide all sorts the TV apps might not cover.

- Full HD. I'm so used to using HD that SD now looks fuzzy to me.

I wouldn't bother with curved screens either, and prefer to have a separate DVD player. I think you get more for your money rather than a cheap player bundled with the TV. 3D is fun the first few times you use it and can be amazing for the right content but in practice, I just don't use the feature. The ultra HD is excessive for me and there isn't enough content I watch in the format to make it worth it. I have an upscaling DVD player that does a good job of delivering pseudo-HD from my numerous old DVDs so they look pretty good.

I went for an LG. Has Amazon Prime, Netflix, Channel 5, and BBC catch up also installed. Picture quality is great and the sound's not bad from the built-in speakers, although I'd recommend a soundbar if budget permits. I believe Samsung TVs have Channel 4 catch-up as well. A relative has a Samsung and the picture quality is superb but the sound is a bit tinny, so she uses a soundbar where I could get away without it on my LG.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    consider going bigger there will be better bargains around.

the bevels have thinner so you get more screen from the same size/slighty bigger actual TV.

Have a browse on hotukdeals for what's been coming up.

if you want to stick with 32" have a look at this budget set

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/technika-32-inch-full-hd-1080p-freeview-hd-133-tesco-free-c-c-2705060
  • parking_question_chap
    Options

Buy sh**e buy twice.

Sony again seems perfectly fine.
  • docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    Oh god avoid that tecknika !!!!!!.

Currys have a fantastic offer on a Samsung 4K smart TV 43 inch curved screen at only £449. Normally 750.

It has everything you need and it's a super buy.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/samsung-ue43ku6670-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-43-curved-led-tv-10146988-pdt.html
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AV forums are worth a read if you can be bothered.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    Options
    I have a Sony Bravia that I have had for years and is still going strong but all my other TVs are Samsungs and they are all excellent as well as being consistently rated highly in tests.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure