PIP Award Review & ESA questions

Options
I've recently been sent a PIP Award Review form. It says that after I return it, I could get a telephone call or have to go to a face to face consultation.

I'm finding the process extremely stressful and it's weighing on my mental health. Luckily a friend is helping me fill in the form, but I don't know if I can deal with another face-to-face consultation at this time. My memories of the last face to face consultation I had to go to are extremely distressing. I really don't want to lose my PIP, but I'm on ESA too, and with my new situation (different housing etc), could maybe just about scrape by on ESA alone.

If I return the form, and don't go to a face-to-face, what will happen? Will I be in lots of trouble? I know I will lose my PIP, will I be at risk of losing my ESA too?

If I do lose my PIP through not completing the award review process, can I re-apply for it when I feel able to go through with the process?

Also, the form asks if I want to give consent for them to talk to 'your GP, other people or organisations.' I ticked 'no,' because I'm very concerned about confidentiality around my mental health problems- partly because I've only recently been able to talk about the events that caused some of them. Also I'm embarrassed about organisations etc knowing about my benefits situation. I think that they will have notes from contacting my GP on file from when they first assessed me. Will ticking no cause me problems?

The telephone calls they make- what are they like?

If they assess me and I fail, will I be at risk of losing my ESA?

Any advice about how to fill in the form? It seems fairly straightforward as most things haven't changed.

Any advice anyone can please give me, on these questions or anything else about this issue, would be massively appreciated.

Thankyou so much

Comments

• Prinzessilein
    Options
    Hi Bone12345!

I have just sent my PIP forms off, so understand exactly how you are feeling!

One of the last questions on the form relates to the face-face consultation. Here you can explain any difficulties that you might have with a face-face consultation and any adjustments you might need....I have written (well my Mum/carer actually wrote it!) that I will need a home visit and that my Mum/carer will need to be with me at all times. ...would it be less stressful for you if the meeting happened at home?....and you could ask for it to be recorded too if that will help you feel less worried.

I don't use the phone....if you let them know they will agree to make all communications via the post if you refer.

It will help your case if you can give them as much relevant information as possible. Usually this would include allowing them to contact your GP et.c...but if you refuse it just means that they will be working without that information. (which DOES make it less likely you will be successful)

The PIP assessment should have NO impact on your ESA.

I know it is a stressful time....I am needing to take more of my anti-anxiety meds just to get through the days sometimes!...but all uou can do is take each stage one step at a time...fill in the form as best as you can (with all the help you can get!0....and keep a copy for your own records.....send it off (get at least a proof of posting slip)....and settle down with a cuppa!....you will have done ALL you can....make yourself familiar with the process for a Mandatory Reconsideration and then an Appeal, just in case you need to go down that route...but don't obsess on the matter, it may all work out for you with the forms.

Above all, if you ARE entitled to the benefit then don't let the process make you so anxious that you give up the application. You have a friend help you with the forms....maybe ask them to be with you for the face-to-face? You don't have to go through it alone.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    Bone12345 wrote: »
    .. Also, the form asks if I want to give consent for them to talk to 'your GP, other people or organisations.' I ticked 'no,' because I'm very concerned about confidentiality around my mental health problems- partly because I've only recently been able to talk about the events that caused some of them. Also I'm embarrassed about organisations etc knowing about my benefits situation....

Possibly. I am not convinced that the DWP actually do contact your GP or anybody; I get the impression that they expect you to produce the evidence. But if you are making a PIP claim on the basis of your "mental health problems" you are going to have to be reasonably candid with them about those problems.
    .. I think that they will have notes from contacting my GP on file from when they first assessed me. Will ticking no cause me problems? ...

That was then. The DWP are interested in now. You may say that nothing has changed, but you may well have to produce some evidence to convince them of that fact.
    ... Any advice about how to fill in the form? It seems fairly straightforward as most things haven't changed.

Read through the PIP table of activities, descriptors and points. You fill in the form to address those.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,043 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    antrobus wrote: »
    Possibly. I am not convinced that the DWP actually do contact your GP or anybody; I get the impression that they expect you to produce the evidence. But if you are making a PIP claim on the basis of your "mental health problems" you are going to have to be reasonably candid with them about those problems.

That was then. The DWP are interested in now. You may say that nothing has changed, but you may well have to produce some evidence to convince them of that fact.

No, as stated in Bone's post this is a PIP review and reviews are different to the first time you apply. They do look back at past evidence relating to the first time you applied.

Read through the PIP table of activities, descriptors and points. You fill in the form to address those.
    I agree on the first part. However with a review it's different. The form is completely different with a review. The forms are much shorter. Answers are multiple choice with just a choice of 3 boxes to tick. If nothing has changed there's no need to put anything else. Obviously if there's change you do need to explain what and why.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    I agree on the first part. However with a review it's different. The form is completely different with a review. The forms are much shorter. Answers are multiple choice with just a choice of 3 boxes to tick. If nothing has changed there's no need to put anything else. Obviously if there's change you do need to explain what and why.

I stand corrected.

I see that Citizen's Advice states that "It’s fine to tick ‘no change’ for every question if nothing’s changed since your last assessment. If you do this your PIP should continue as usual... ."

That doesn't appear to be all that stress inducing.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,043 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    antrobus wrote: »
    I stand corrected.

I see that Citizen's Advice states that "It’s fine to tick ‘no change’ for every question if nothing’s changed since your last assessment. If you do this your PIP should continue as usual... ."

That doesn't appear to be all that stress inducing.
    I can't answer that as i haven't actually read that many PIP review stories. My PIP review last year i ticked no change to daily living but changes to mobility. During my assessment nothing was asked about DL just mobility. The forms for the review are nothing like the "how your disability affects you form" If there's no changes they take 10 minutes, if that.
  • rockingbilly
    Options

Also, the form asks if I want to give consent for them to talk to 'your GP, other people or organisations.' I ticked 'no,'

I too told them no when I did the telephone application for PIP I also sent them a letter requesting full details as to who they wanted to contact, why and what were they going to do with the information. You are entitled to say no - it says so in the DWP handbook for assessors..
  • Bone12345
    Options
    Thanks for your advice guys...managed to get the form sent off in the end :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure