Problems with my flatmates!!

Options

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Is it gas central heating, or storage heaters or something else?

Do you have a smart meter to know exactly how much it's costing per day? Even if it's a tenner, that's really only £2 pppd.

If storage heaters, I'll come back and explain how they work.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Extemporaneous
    Options
    Sorry but I'm with the 3 other girls on this. If three out of four of you are feeling the cold, can't you see that the problem isn't them, it's you?

You accuse them of being selfish because they know you have limited means. But it's not directly related, is it? Everyone makes choices over what they want to spend their money on - and the cost of keeping a house warm, shared between four of you, we are not talking a fortune! I can understand them ignoring your "complaints" if they see you have money for other things - by choice - whilst making their lives a misery moaning about the cost of the heating bill. To me, adequate heating is a basic necessity.

Frankly, you sound like my worst nightmare! I really feel the cold - and I mean, feel it. Once I'm chilled, I can't warm up again. It makes me miserable and gives me health problems when I'm cold.

The idea of having to share with someone who keeps kvetching on about it being 'too hot', throwing open windows, turning down the thermostat etc - it would come to blows!

I suggest you take your overheated constitution elsewhere. As others have pointed out, once you have to pay ALL of a heating bill yourself, you may find you start to miss being warm!
  • pickledonionspaceraider
    pickledonionspaceraider Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 February 2019 at 7:02PM
    Options
    OP - it is obvious that flat sharing is not for you, so the only realistic options you have are

1- Work full time (to enable you to afford a place of your own). Unless there are illnesses involved, there is no reason you can't . You don't mention that you are a student or that you are ill (in which case you wouldn't be able to)

2 - Move back home with your parents. It would be cheaper for them, and you, if you did - and must be massively financially draining for parents to be propping up adults who have left home on a regular long term basis, it is almost like running two houses - not where most people plan on being in their middle aged years - obviously unless you were ill or otherwise a student where it is a short term helping hand as opposed to a life style choice

Either way, your current situation is not long term viable for any of you - and that hasn't even touched the surface of the heating issue
    ......which I have to say I agree with some of the others that you are being unfair. It is not the other girls fault that your financial situation is not the same, yet you want them to suffer for it. Hmmmm. I would literally hit the roof if someone expected me to pay a share of the gas bill but I was only allowed to be warm at their approval

Like I say, unless you are ill (or a student where this situation is a limited time short term thing), this situation is not fair on your parents as you are relying on them for extremely basic things on a regular basis, that a healthy adult should IMO be providing for themselves.

I honestly don't mean to sound blunt, but I don't so far see a reason why you aren't taking ownership of your own situation
    With love, POSR <3
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I live in a flat with 4 other students and we are on a fixed contract. It's been pretty useful since one of my previous flatmate spent way too much on gas because she was sensitive to the cold. Now that she left we don't know if we want to stay on this tariff or change it.

Our usage should not be too high but we all have different opinions (I prefer putting more layers on whereas one of my flatmate likes staying in T-shirts even if it's cold outside). Any suggestions?

This is another post from the O.P seems it’s a student household.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • mattpaint
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies. I can basically move whenever I want, the only thing is that there are no flats available within my budget, which is not very high.
    I have been completely honest about my financial situation. I work part-time during the weekends only to pay rent and part of the bills that I split with my parents. I really don't understand how people can be so selfish even in a shared flat.

They put them on for almost 9 hours a day, which is a lot considering that I don't even spend 9 hours in the flat if not to sleep.

Look at it another way - why should they be less comfortable for you? Isn't that selfish? Shouldn't you move to somewhere within your budget and not expect others to suffer as a result of your lack of income?
  • pickledonionspaceraider
    pickledonionspaceraider Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 February 2019 at 10:56PM
    Options
    suejb2 wrote: »
    I live in a flat with 4 other students and we are on a fixed contract. It's been pretty useful since one of my previous flatmate spent way too much on gas because she was sensitive to the cold. Now that she left we don't know if we want to stay on this tariff or change it.

Our usage should not be too high but we all have different opinions (I prefer putting more layers on whereas one of my flatmate likes staying in T-shirts even if it's cold outside). Any suggestions?

This is another post from the O.P seems it’s a student household.

ahh thanks for sharing that.

In that case, I would ask OP if they have a student loan

Would it be cheaper to move into Halls?
    With love, POSR <3
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If they all want the best in on and you don't, would they agree to pay a higher percentage of the bill than you? This seems quite fair and if they can afford it, they might be sympathetic.

You might find though that the difference is no more than £10 a month. Is this going to make a big difference for you?
  • KatrinaWaves
    Options
    OP also seems, on the other thread, to believe that a fixed price tariff meant use as much as you want for the same price, when obviously it does not, so chances are she contributed to the higher costs initially...
  • charlotte1994
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Joint tenants?

In any case; your option is to move

How can she afford to move if she can hardly afford the heating?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How can she afford to move if she can hardly afford the heating?

Well I suspect she cant, but there are two options:

Move
    Live there and accept that other people will do things that annoy her

Unless you're offering to pay her rent?...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure