Boiler repair help

Options
Good evening and happy new year to all, i read a link that said if you are registered disabled there is somewhere you can get help with a boiler repair, me and my partner are both blue badge holders so i'm pretty sure we would be entitled to any help, question is does anyone know who/what/where offers emergency loans for repairs etc?

Thanks

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi,

A blue badge isn't enough. For grants etc you'll either need to be claiming certain means tested benefits or have low income.

There's schemes for free boilers but having already looked into these myself you do have to pay a contribution towards the cost. As far as i know there's no loans etc for boiler repairs.

Do you claim any means tested benefits like ESA/UC or JSA? if so a loan could be possible from DWP but this will have to be repaid and it will depend on how long you've been claiming the benefit for.

https://www.gov.uk/budgeting-help-benefits
  • Giantdaz74
    Options
    Yes we get UC, i had seen a link while browsing but forgot to bookmark it and now can't find it !
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We got a free boiler 18 months ago as we are on means tested benefits, it was a top of the range worcester combi and we didn't have to put a penny towards it, our olde boiler was only 7 years old but wasn't seen as efficient
    does this help?
    https://www.boilergrants.org.uk/#
  • poppy12345
    Options
    venison wrote: »
    We got a free boiler 18 months ago as we are on means tested benefits, it was a top of the range worcester combi and we didn't have to put a penny towards it, our olde boiler was only 7 years old but wasn't seen as efficient
    does this help?
    https://www.boilergrants.org.uk/#
    I'm assuming you're not renting your home?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    I'm assuming you're not renting your home?

No, didn't realise that made a difference?
  • poppy12345
    Options
    venison wrote: »
    No, didn't realise that made a difference?
    Yes, because you would be claiming the "free boiler" on behalf of the landlord. I really need a new boiler in my home too but my landlord won't agree. It costs me a fortune to to put my heating on. Parts need replacing but you can't buy the parts anymore and it's more than 15 years old.

I was contacted by a company about the free boiler scheme (details were given by my letting agency) i had a visit from them and they did a survey, took all my details and proof of benefits. Outcome was, it's not 100% free for my landlord and he would have to make a contribution of approximately £800. If i wasn't renting then it would have been a totally different story and i would have had the new boiler free of charge.

Moral of the story......there's always a catch somewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure