PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Solicitor headaches

Options
Hi. Great forum you have here.

My mother is trying to buy a council house, she has a solicitor who is representing her asked her for proof such as various bank statements, letters etc. She supplied it her without a problem. Now she wants more proof of where she obtained the money from purchase the house. She doesn't have the statements which will go as far back to the time where the despoits were made. So the solicitor won't go ahead with the proceedings.banghead.gif

My question is, if you have the funds to pay for the purchase of your council property upfront, is there a way to do so without the solicitor, or any middle man?
If its not possible without a solictor then how would I go about changing to another solictor who actually some brains?

Thanks.

Comments

• blondie21
    blondie21 Posts: 582 Forumite
    Options
    its all the regulations now for money laundering etc......im not for one minute suggesting this is the case its just the legal profession have to keep themselves right as a custodial sentence would apply if they went ahead and then things went pear shaped...HEY ! thats THE CRAZY WORLD WE LIVE IN.....good luck
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I expect you mum's Solicitor is merely ensuring that she abides by the regulations pertaining to money laundering etc. If the Solicitor does not abide by those rules, there could be penalities imposed on the Solicitor.
  • alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    1aleem wrote:
    Hi. Great forum you have here.

My mother is trying to buy a council house, she has a solicitor who is representing her asked her for proof such as various bank statements, letters etc. She supplied it her without a problem. Now she wants more proof of where she obtained the money from purchase the house. She doesn't have the statements which will go as far back to the time where the despoits were made. So the solicitor won't go ahead with the proceedings.banghead.gif

My question is, if you have the funds to pay for the purchase of your council property upfront, is there a way to do so without the solicitor, or any middle man?
    If its not possible without a solictor then how would I go about changing to another solictor who actually some brains?

Thanks.

Interesting, is this new ?
    I ask because i paid a lot of money in cash for a house
    just before xmas and the solicitor did not ask where i got it from. :confused:

One other thing, you dont need to use a solicitor specifically to buy a house, you can use a conveyancing company instead, there are many around, just google it.
  • blondie21
    blondie21 Posts: 582 Forumite
    Options
    alanobrien wrote:
    Interesting, is this new ?
    I ask because i paid a lot of money in cash for a house
    just before xmas and the solicitor did not ask where i got it from. :confused:

One other thing, you dont need to use a solicitor specifically to buy a house, you can use a conveyancing company instead, there are many around, just google it.
    as a legal sec......your solicitor is by law to inform the governing bodies if you have used a large amount which you cannot legally accopunt for....as are the banks now as well......if the money is legal the bank can surely recall your mothres account and verify...........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure