PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• cowboymum
    cowboymum Posts: 242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Soworried wrote: »
    Hi JJ, you make this offer work even better if you use JTD.
    I'll try explain.
    If I go now and bought 1x Nestle shreddies 500g for £2.29. This is only £1 at Asda.
    If I buy 1x Kelloggs coco pops 295g for £2.09. This is only £1 at Asda.
    If I then buy Weetabix chocolate spoonsize in the same sale for £2.25. These are £1.50 at Asda.
    Total amount at Mrt is £6.63 so you will get a 10p voucher. But if you use the JTD offer "Just the difference" for people who don't know you can get £3.63 refunded because Asda was cheaper.
    You need 8 items to get the JTD so I would buy 3x different flavour basic stock for 10p and a loose gala apple, and loose carrot.
    This makes the cereal effectivley free. Do this 5 times to get the maxium discount but in 5 seperate sales.
    I did this last week and got 5x 300g nescafe for free. :o
    I hope this helps x

Oh no, I tried to do this yesterday and mucked it up! Just got back my email from tesco's and I had 8 items but 2 were the same, so it invalidated it! Email sounded very smug from tesco's! Oh well I got my petrol voucher and nice cereal for our holiday at the end of the month (a house swap!).
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    cowboymum wrote: »
    Oh no, I tried to do this yesterday and mucked it up! Just got back my email from tesco's and I had 8 items but 2 were the same, so it invalidated it! Email sounded very smug from tesco's! Oh well I got my petrol voucher and nice cereal for our holiday at the end of the month (a house swap!).

Sorry to hear that. :(
    Yes all 8 items must be different, different flavours count seperatley though.
    Another common pitfall is buying more items that are not cheaper at another supermarket.
    For instance say you bought exactley what my original post said but then also bought say the surf they have on offer, they would minus the saving on the surf from the JTD.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4087245

Here is a link to the thread about how to make the 50p petrol promotion work. They explain it better than I did, hopefully that will help people more. x
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • sjprmc01
    sjprmc01 Posts: 917 Forumite
    edited 5 August 2012 at 8:32AM
    Options
    I don't think I should have started on this challenge on a month I'm away a lot. It's. Not going to be a true reflection of what I normally spend!

Anyways, I was away at a caravan wed,thurs,fri! Despite taking food with us still managed to spend about £30 in the SM I'd say!

Then 2.89 for bread and milk when we got back!

Just about to add to my total!

Eta : hadn't added on my Mr Ts spend from the other day either so doing that now too!
    No more unnecessary toiletries Feb 2014 INS: 24 UU: 13. Mar 2014. INS: lost count, naughty step for me! UU: 8
  • KatyReed+5
    KatyReed+5 Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    Had a NSD yesterday, YAY, also cooked up 4 portions of sausage and bacon casserole, each portion is enough to feed all 5 kids, WOO.

I had hm chicken casserole from the freezer and the younger 3 had spag bol from the freezer as the older 2 are at their mums this week. Ice cream and squeezy sauce with sprinkles for pudding.

Not sure what to do for dinner today, might have a root in the freezer to see what i've got. Know i have 2 packs of YS mince in there, any idea on some bulk cooking ideas i could make with that? Must be dairy free and not spicy.

Katy, X
    June £0.00 GC / £200.00
    Family of 4 : 1 adult 3 kids ages 3,4 & 5.
  • kerrypn
    kerrypn Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    Options
    Did my big meat shop at the market yesterday and spent £49.50-this will last me for the month now.

Got loads of bargains by going a bit later :j
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well 13 days until my holiday and I have £16.30 left from my July budget of £100.00 food purse.I am hoping that what I have left will buy just the basic bits until I go away and as I don't come home until 1st September I will have saved my August budget of £100.00 which I will transfer to my holiday account towards the food on holiday We have £115.00 in Tesco vouchers to take with us which will also help out with the food.I was saying to my DD about how much less we are actually spending on food now to what we used to
    Every year we go away in August for a fortnight her,her OH myself and the 'tribe' of kids This year it will be just the four boys as her DD has moved out and gone to live with her BF.Usually we have around £200-250 in Tesco vouchers to take with us This year because we have pared things down to the bone we have £115.00.Just shows how much we used to buy that was really unnecessary.The cost of living rising this year has made us both far more careful about what we buy.I have always been a fairly good shopper but now even more so.She used to have an online delivery but no longer does that, and has a list stuck to the fridge that gets added to as things are needed, and rarely now will she buy on impulse.
    I have my list by my kettle in the kitchen and if its not on the list then it doesn't get bought.I am pleased with the past few weeks as I have been using up stuff from the cupboards more and also stuff from the freezer that had almost been forgotten. In my house now if its edible it gets eaten.Nothing gets binned, and if its veg thats starting to be past its best, it gets used up in soup, or I will adjust my menu to make sure it gets used .Yesterday I made a quiche with onions,peppers,bacon bits and some grated cheese all from the freezer (apart from the cheese)I had some last night whilst watching the Olympics and some more will be used today for lunch and the rest tomorrow night for dinner.I am going to dig out a couple of chicken quarters this morning to cook and they will be eaten over the next few days either in a salad or maybe I can get a wrap from the freezer and use a bit up in one of those for lunch.Anything left over (apart from the bones will be made into a small curry and bulked out with any veg to hand and some lentils.Enough to make a couple of small portions for the freezer.I streeetch my food until it squeeks I think :):) but as food is becoming even more expensive its a case of having to.We are very lucky living in this country with the choice of stuff we have and I love finding recipes that I can use to 'extend' food a bit.
    The £7.00 a wekk challenge is a great site to keep an eye on, as it does give you ideas for things maybe forgotten and ways to help you make your food go that bit further.Well done to all who are doing their best in these straightened times It must be a nightmare with the children on holiday as children seem to be permanantly at the cupboards don't they.I do a big bake every four or so days for my four grandsons, and it does help my DD .The boys prefer home baked stuff to shop bought cake anyway
    Well time to get a wriggle on well done every one and good luck for the August GC
    JackieOxx
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    :)goodmorning all,pouring down here. Had a nsd yesterday as was my birthday 40 th ....im gettin old!!!:eek:anyway was brought out for 6 course lunch in hotel .....end result we all ended up on sofa grounded all night. it was lovely really enjoyed myself. went to big carboot but didnt get anything. have lentil soup and boiled ham and spuds for lunch left out and the 12p rice pudding with blob of hm raspberry jam. Freezers full but will have to nip to mr t later for bread for oh lunches as the bread machine bread is like a lump of lead apparently and he wants to lie down on his desk after eating it!!!so will prob check out the whoopsies as not going till about 5 as shop closes at 6.will have to freeze boxes of chocs got for b-day as diet starts need 5 stone off, i know it sounds a lot but i did it before 2 yrs ago and have put 2 stone on since(all this home cooking and baking!!!) so have adapted meal plans to suit, i do actually eat and cook really healthy food its just the lumps of butter that seems to make it onto my plate in spuds or bread so big changes here from tomorrow, i actually cant wait ,i know i will lose it when i in this frame of mind.doctor already been consulted and its allspeed ahead now he told me a few pointers to keep me on track so swimming 3 times a week again...dread getting into pool this size but will bite the bullet and go in the morn with son.sorry for rambling:D jasmin had same sort of fight with my oh few weeks ago over milk lol so can sympathise with u!!! he will soon realise how important to u all this gc is and will be more carefull next time.....or he will get it again!!lol. anyway have a great day all off to do some cleaning:)
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Happy birthday craigy, and sorry about your fight jasmin, what a nightmare, still, it's all a learning journey for us.

I'm still in the midst of a planned run of nsd's. Hopefully won't spend until Wednesday or even Thursday, having said that, I think perhaps the green milk won't last that long... I don't know where it all goes, but then I do have two toddlers.

At home painting today whilst kiddies are out with granny, no need to go anywhere and spend. Have lots of decorating supplies, just having a cuppa and off I go...
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hugs to you Jasmin10 - My DH spent money on carp again yesterday and scoffed nearly all the ham I was hoping would last into next week. I understand your frustration xx

Bluegreen143 - That quiche looks gorgeous, mine never come out like that!

Happy birthday :bdaycake:craigywv!

£4.16 in Mr S on rubbish as mentioned above.

Made a pot of veggie chilli last night for me and the freezer from store cupboard tins, a wrinkly pepper and some frozen peppers. DH had one of the big tins of meat chilli from Ald1. We had it with HM spicy wedges. My 2 week meal plan has gone a bit of track. I am still eating the same meals just not in the planned order.

Busy day today as we need to list some stuff on ebay, sort some other stuff out to ebay next week and I need to make some cheese bread and soup for lunch and some GF chocolate buns for me for work. Then DS is at a party this afternoon. Will attempt not to buy a drink at the play centre ;)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills