PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A new 'tougher' thread... and so it continues

Options

Comments

• wen3
    wen3 Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    Hello all I have been a lurker for some time but thought I would take the plunge lol.

I went shopping at Aldi's last week and thought things had gone up, but tonight we have shepherds pie but having read this thread I think we will start with a bowl of soup as any left over shepherds pie can be used for lunch tomorrow:) Have lit the woodburner to warm us up tonight and have turned the heating off.
    DMP Support Thread Number 186
  • Hardup_Hester
    Options
    Hi all
    I got a fantastic bargain this morning, 3 leeks for 5p, woo hoo, how good is that. I shared my good fortune & gave 2 of my work colleagues a leek each.
    I put the heating on a few minutes ago as hubby has quite a walk from the bus stop & it's wet & windy out, he'll be shrammed when he gets in.
    Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Wind has died down here but today it was scarey- it didnt howl, it roared. Really bad and the rain was torrential. My chickens look really miserable today, all hunched up and wet. I gave them a whole bag of straw for their wee beds to make up.
    GQ, like Taurus says, that ear thing takes a while to go away, and be careful how you turn your head for a few months or it will come back.
    I was gobsmacked in the Co-op today at the prices, shocking really. even the reduced stuff was shocking :D
    Loving the idea of us all marching into the house of commons and some of us twisting noses and others screaming and poking eyes. Wouldnt that feel good :D :rotfl::rotfl:
    The unions will go mad about the wage freeze, and I dont blame them. But be prepared for more strikes ladies .
  • paidinchickens
    Options
    Well the doom and gloom weather certainly matches the doom and gloom on the news.

If there was an election tomorrow who would you vote for? I certainly don't have a clue unless someone started an OS party :D

Just a little moan :o the kids are off school tomorrow due to the strikes. The problem is DS school sent a letter last week to every parent with a 2nd class stamp on, how much did that cost :eek: I am sure EVERY secondary school child is more than capable of telling their parents there is no school on Wednesday, I know mine came home and told me before he even got through the door :rotfl:

PIC x
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    After all that bloody wind and rain - now its SNOWING!!! :T:T:T
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    yey for snow!!! Is that your first of the season Mardatha?

Our school told us via text to parents, don't know how much that service costs but udeal for parent school communication. Also had a note home today. I agree, so many strikes to come from all different groups of people. Strikes i'll cope with but please dear clouds no civil unrest :(
  • gardenia101
    Options
    Hello all :beer:

I'm another long term lurker who has finally got around to posting on a newish thread. I've dipped in & out of other "tough" threads, but they moved soooo fast I couldn't ever keep up!

I've been partially sighted for 18 months now, so haven't worked & am struggling to find a job (although who isn't?). I've cut back a lot on my spending & do have some savings which should last for a while - just trying very hard not to think what will happen when those savings run dry :eek:

I learnt a lot from previous threads, & already do a lot of OS stuff, but there is always more I could do. Didn't know that you can cook butternut squash without peeling it - should be less knife injuries for me so thanks to the poster.

I'm also a single parent with DD 12 & DS 9 but with no family support whatsoever as they are all either live abroard or are too old & infirm & still live too far away for more than an occasional visit. I'm hoping this thread will help keen me going through the long, cold & dark (rubbish for me :rotfl:) winter & I hereby promise to keep up!

Not sure if I want to listen to all the depressing budget news either but it is a little difficult to escape it all.
    And I find that looking back at you gives a better view, a better view...
  • westcoastscot
    Options
    Just had a wee look at the autumn statement - makes depressing reading. I don't work directly for local government, I work for a charity which is jointly funded by LG and NHS - our contract is due for renewal within a year and i'm not optimistic. Also read that wages will not get back to 2001 levels until 2020+ !!! I have no savings left, and my budget is stretched to the limit - am going to have to find a way though to put something away for that rainy day that it almost certainly heading our way - not sure how though!!!!

for those that asked, i'll look back in my cookery notes for cooking times for microwave bread and post it nearer the end of the week - hope that's ok - am really busy at work the next couple of days.

Let's hope that the strike goes off peacefully tomorrow - I suspect the first of many
    WCS
  • kidcat
    kidcat Posts: 6,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our schools are all off tomorrow for strikes, the high school tweeted it, then sent a text telling us that we would receive a note home, then no note!! Littlies schools both sent notes and DD school also emailed and text too. It's a relief for me, as two littlies are off anyway, DD17 doesn't do college on Wednesday anyway so it saves me taking ds13 in.

Have started third set of antibiotics today and remembered the prepayment certificate for prescription, managed to organise it all in boots. Doc has taken tests to determine which antibiotics would be best next and is considering hospital to administer them. Apparently when its over I have to have a flu jab and a pneumonia jab to. Never heard of a pneumonia jab and am inclined to look at it as closing the stable door type thing.

Saw some of the autumn statement and its so depressing. The idea that things are just getting worse - just how much more can we endure?
  • lizzyb1812
    lizzyb1812 Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    Options
    The pneumonia jab has been mentioned on OS recently - I didn't know it existed either. I agree about shutting the stable door etc but my experience of pneumonia was so awful I'd definitely consider a jab - mind you I had something else horrid at the same time as the pneumonia so can't really say what it's like on its own. Hope your doc gets the right antibiotic sorted soon kidcat

ETA re red lentils - these were £1-10 for 500g in Asda today - is it just me that thinks that's expensive?
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure