Flying to Cuba

Options
Im looking to book a couple of flights to Cuba, its for my dads 60th birthday. I don't think I can afford the full package holiday but I'm sure my mum and dad can't sort out their accommodation...

Don't think you can fly Ireland to Cuba so reckon it will have to be London to Havana...

Whats the best airline to go with and I'm looking to book a time of year where it will be cheaper but still hot...ie 25 degrees up...

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    edited 7 March 2017 at 10:08AM
    Options
    jay459 wrote: »
    Im looking to book a couple of flights to Cuba, its for my dads 60th birthday. I don't think I can afford the full package holiday but I'm sure my mum and dad can't sort out their accommodation...

Don't think you can fly Ireland to Cuba so reckon it will have to be London to Havana...

Whats the best airline to go with and I'm looking to book a time of year where it will be cheaper but still hot...ie 25 degrees up...
    Do you mean they can or can't sort out their own accommodation?
    If they can't, are you going to book that too?

Have you chosen Cuba because it's their preferred destination?

ETA: you also need to consider hurricane season.

And possibly how your parents are going to get from Havana to a beach resort if that's what they want to do.
    It's over 20 years since we went to Cuba so I imagine the infrastructure has improved.

Maybe try Tripadvisor Cuba board for advice.
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    We flew with Virgin from Gatwick and upgraded to Premier Economy and thought it was excellent value. Don't know what the current prices are though but Virgin are the best airline we've flown with.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Funny you mention Ireland...

Last time I looked, the cheapest way to get to Havana was to buy a Virgin ticket from Dublin, obviously with a change of 'planes in London. That cost hundreds of pounds less than just the ticket from London!

Unless they particularly want a beach resort then they should consider staying in a casa particular (in theory a private home that takes paying guests, in practice a small family-run hotel) rather than a hotel -- most hotels in Cuba are state-run and tend to offer poor service with high prices. These are very easy to arrange.
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    most hotels in Cuba are state-run and tend to offer poor service with high prices

We stayed in 3 hotels whilst we were in Cuba (2 in Havana and 1 in Holguin) and could not fault the service or standards at all and the food was brilliant.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We stayed in 3 hotels whilst we were in Cuba (2 in Havana and 1 in Holguin) and could not fault the service or standards at all and the food was brilliant.

You chose very well, or perhaps you were just lucky.

Above all about the food: most visitors find this the least enjoyable aspect of their trip.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    You chose very well, or perhaps you were just lucky.

Above all about the food: most visitors find this the least enjoyable aspect of their trip.

We found the food in Cuba very bland. :(
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    We stayed here and the food was as good as we have had anywhere and better than most:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g285732-d263971-Reviews-Paradisus_Rio_de_Oro_Resort_Spa-Holguin_Holguin_Province_Cuba.html

It wasn't a budget holiday though but it wasn't massively expensive either although prices are considerably higher now
  • Starbrite
    Starbrite Posts: 947 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 9 March 2017 at 8:51PM
    Options
    We flew with Virgin from Gatwick and upgraded to Premier Economy and thought it was excellent value. Don't know what the current prices are though but Virgin are the best airline we've flown with.

I'll 2nd Virgin, Flew with them to Cuba in 2013 in economy fantastic service etc. They do deals throughout the year we went Feb time.

I flew back from Las Vagas with Virgin June 2016, spent an extra £150 to be in premium economy and oh my what a different world that is... not sure I will cope in economy on way to Australia feb 2018 (yet to be booked)

Food -

Well this was hit and miss, had some amazing meals in Havana and found an amazing 'restaurant' in Trinadad (town on the island) alas the hotel we stayed in the food was terrible I was eating bananas and I hate bananas! Valerdio was purely hotel food and was amazing

Restaurant in Trinadad:
    Paladar Estela

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g285731-d2663586-Reviews-Paladar_Estella-Trinidad_Sancti_Spiritus_Province_Cuba.html
    Aspiring to be financially independent.... from my parents!
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,990 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We went to Cuba a few years ago, and at the suggestion of our friend (a London-based Cuban guy) used "The Holiday Place" ( http://holidayplace.co.uk )...

who were fantastic. We asked for a specific hotel which wasn't one they regularly used (the Santa Isabel - a restored Colonial building in the heart of Old Havana; much nicer than their usual holidaymaker tower blocks) plus somewhere up-country and they just sorted it. It was very reasonably priced including Virgin flights and taxi transfers so absolutely no hassle. We were met at the airport by a taxi, so while other holiday makers waited ages to board a bus to a package resort, we were already checked in to the hotel and off drinking rom in a music bar! (we were 60 at the time and really enjoyted the vibe). They then transferred us mid-holiday an hour or two to the second hotel in a taxi, and we simply could not have organised a freelance package at the price. Friends who went freelance said it was hard work.

Giv 'em a ring and talk prices; you may be surprised
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport