PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Vendor's request

Options
Hi,

We are currently in final stages of exchange for our house purchase.

The vendor is moving out into rental and I think she doesn't have much man power currently to move all the stuff out in time. She has requested if she can leave some stuff in the garage for a couple of weeks and collect it later on. We are happy with this. Just want to know if there are any legal implications for this?

I have asked solicitor and she said it mutual understanding between buyer and seller so there is no issue from conveyancing. But because the stuff does not belong to you as a result the insurance will not cover it.

What can we do from our end so that we don't end up in complicated / legal situation if things go wrong?

Just to know we agreed to help because it seemed like it could make thing faster otherwise it would take a while to move out all stuff as the vendor is by herself.

Thanks

Comments

• HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your agreement also needs to give an expiry date and I would suggest reading up on serving a TORT to coincide with that date so that you can readily dispoae afterwards.

Personally i would advise them to get it put into storage.

If she chooses not to collect you could have no uae of your garage for a very long time.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    "Man power"? "By herself" ? Thats whats a removal firm is for !

So to put it in context, she is saying that in order to save money she'd like to use your garage for storage, and friends for removals.

Probably most people here will say not to do it, I tend that way* but I would say if you do, write up an agreement that says she agrees that there is no duty of care and that if the items are not removed by date X you will dispose of them and charge her for that.

Because as sure as eggs is eggs, if you dont make a timescale clear and unambiguous (and frankly, most likely even if you do) she is going to ask for another week and another week and so on.

* the upside of doing it it might be it does get you in the house rather than one of these predicaments where the vendors are cheapskates and dont get proper removals and end up moving out at 9pm or something.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    Options
    Also wouldn't have agreed to it. You could say something like 'my solicitor isn't happy with it and has advised against it' to get out of it.

Contrary to what AnotherJoe says - I bet she is still moving her stuff out late PM or into the evening, and you won't gain access, and it will be all the crap left in the garage that she doesn't know where to put in her rental (or if indeed she's going to take it yet). When she works out how much storage will cost for it, she'll either leave it, or try to sell bits of it meaning people in and out of it to view and maybe not bothering to turn up or her saying 'would you mind just taking a couple of photos of X item and sending it to me, or I could pop round to do it myself'...

Nah, I'd definitely be trying to wangle my way out of this.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    Options
    hmmm, I think unfortunately Hazy Jo is probably right about whats going to happen.

And thinking of that i wonder if a firm "no" (blaming your solicitor so its not seen as personal) might make her pony-up for removals, and get out quicker.

So, I've changed my mind (thanks to HJ), how about a reply saying "unfortunately our solicitor advises against, so i suggest if you think you will have issues removing your possessions in time you employ a removal firm and storage facilities since our solicitor also advises there are financial implications for not leaving the property vacant after completion"
  • westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    Options
    Rather than untruthfully blaming the solicitor you could just say you have a pile of your own tut that wants stashing somewhere and the garage is where you have in mind, so sorry but you'll be needing it right away.

Or perhaps you could say that you drive an Audi. As this is hideously embarrassing, you obviously need the garage to hide it in, so you won't get off on the wrong foot with the neighbours seeing the Audi and laughing at you or thinking you're some sort of to55er.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    NO. When you sell a house you take all your stuff with you. You don't leave a load of stuff in their garage to collect at you leisure. I also agree with the comments above and I think you need to ask your solicitor to remind the vendor's solicitors to point out to the vendor that the house must be vacant and have everything removed by the time of completion and it is not acceptable for anything belonging to the vendor to be left in the house after that time.
  • ric1982
    ric1982 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all for your response.

In worst case, what are the implications of this? Mind you we are FTB and dont have much stuff with us. We don't have use of the garage for now. This just the way to get things moving otherwise we will be paying rent on coming month(s) and have financial penalties that way.

I think because the house in vacant possession on paper, its prob. be not advisable to put things in writing because if for e.g. theft happens you can deny ever having the items in first place. I am not too bothered about discarding stuff myself in case vendor dont come and collect. It would still be cheaper then paying extra month's rent!
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ric1982 wrote: »
    In worst case, what are the implications of this?
    She leaves behind a load of stuff which is really awkward/messy to dispose of, and you never hear from her again.

Or she comes back and starts some dispute with you about something she claims is missing / damaged.

Or her aggrieved ex knocks on your door demanding into the garage as it's actually all his stuff.

I expect other scenarios are also possible.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just don't do it!!!

There is enough stress involved with buying a house and moving your stuff into it without the hassle of part of your purchase being crammed with somebody else's rubbish. They will either never come and retrieve it or will want to take it in dribs and drabs at the most inconvenient times.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    She leaves behind a load of stuff which is really awkward/messy to dispose of, and you never hear from her again.

Or she comes back and starts some dispute with you about something she claims is missing / damaged.

Or her aggrieved ex knocks on your door demanding into the garage as it's actually all his stuff.

I expect other scenarios are also possible.
    That's a good point: she claims she left a Ming vase and it's gone. You agreed to look after it, so you owe her...

She'd never win that one but you'd incur cost defending it. But what about if the garage leaks and ruins her stuff? That would be your fault as well because you failed to maintain the garage.

She needs to jog on I think.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport