(Rough) Cost Comparison of boiling the kettle, electric vs Gas.

Options
2»

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I recently had installed a http://www.iconappliances.co.uk/index.php?target=manufacturers&manufacturer_id=61

No idea how efficient it is, but it is convenient.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • bikerchris
    Options
    rogerblack - thank you for pointing out my mis-measurement - must have been the painkillers :) Have corrected though. Thanks for the wiggly info too :)

Cardew - Glad someone is sadder than me! You are right, in my situation though, I seldom use a whole unit of gas, so it's kinda more applicable in my situation to someone that uses gas to heat and goes over the tier threshold. Does that sound fair?

The gas measurement was taken from a gas meter that seems to indicate a decimal after 4 units. So I just figured that I was measuring to 2 decimal points, which was 3. You'll see I was wrong about the 'lecky and have corrected it.

May be I should double check the gas meter though :)

Fred bear - you win hands down :) I shall hunt down your findings in future, if I need to know anything! Thanks for the detail, very interesting indeed and a worthy thank you :)

It seems there was some heated discussion as a result of my admitedly crap 'test'. But I'm grateful to all for not doing what sometimes happens on forums - kicking a person down when they're wrong. Thanks to everyone for not just having the correct information, but for letting me know in a friendly way, really kind of you.

Time for a cup of tea I think, it's now more pleasurable because I'm no longer p**sing into a bag :j
    If someone is worth thanking - click on the 'Thanks' button on their response. It's just a nice thing to do :-)

Started debt at 17, stopped by 25 :-D ...I'm in debt again because of property :-/
  • hypnosisderby
    hypnosisderby Posts: 18 Forumite
    edited 5 January 2013 at 7:57PM
    Options
    So, despite some people saying you didnt test this scientifically well enough ! is it still right that electricity is the cheapest way to heat a small amount of water? Even if you didnt test to this or that standard, you cant have been that far out on the results??

thanks
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    So, despite some people saying you didnt test this scientifically well enough ! is it still right that electricity is the cheapest way to heat a small amount of water? Even if you didnt test to this or that standard, you cant have been that far out on the results??

thanks

The problem in any comparison is that the longer it takes to heat the water - the more heat is lost.

A 3kW kettle heats quickly, and is well insulated at the base.

Gas takes longer and more heat is lost, but gas is about one third of the price of electricity.

I suspect that there are only fractions of a penny difference for most people.
  • bikerchris
    bikerchris Posts: 157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm agreeing with anyone that sounds cleverer than me (easily done!).

Incidentally, I think I may have incorrectly measured the gas usage, kind of assumed how the units work on the imperial type gas meter. It records like this:

1234.56 - then what I thought was a dial indicating 1/10ths of a 1/100's amount. Originally I think I recorded 0.003. But I've seen the dial make a complete revolution and this doesn't seem to change 1234.56 to 1234.57. It seems to take 10 complete revolutions to change 1234.56 to 1234.57 (hope I'm making sense!).

So in theory (with my poor maths knowledge), I actually used 0.0003 perhaps?
    If someone is worth thanking - click on the 'Thanks' button on their response. It's just a nice thing to do :-)

Started debt at 17, stopped by 25 :-D ...I'm in debt again because of property :-/
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bikerchris wrote: »
    I'm agreeing with anyone that sounds cleverer than me (easily done!).

Incidentally, I think I may have incorrectly measured the gas usage, kind of assumed how the units work on the imperial type gas meter. It records like this:

1234.56 - then what I thought was a dial indicating 1/10ths of a 1/100's amount. Originally I think I recorded 0.003. But I've seen the dial make a complete revolution and this doesn't seem to change 1234.56 to 1234.57. It seems to take 10 complete revolutions to change 1234.56 to 1234.57 (hope I'm making sense!).

So in theory (with my poor maths knowledge), I actually used 0.0003 perhaps?
    So...0.8 pence compared to 0.76 pence. A difference of 0.04 pence. 8 times a day 365 days a year makes a difference of about £1. Not much is it.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • psic88
    Options
    Hi, MSE Geeks :)
    Recently I have had to resort to a combination of kettle [1kw], and saucepan [large not huge] on a gas cooker, to heat water for washing up, because my combi boiler has broken down.
    To fill the washing-up bowl I need several kettles and saucepans, each of which is about 1.5l to fill the 9l bowl.
    I fell to wondering, as I refilled and heated the various vessels, which is cheaper?
    I know gas is cheaper, per kW, but also incurs greater losses.
    Is there any significant difference in the overall cost? You can assume that, after the 1st load, the energy used in heating the vessel is not lost.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure