Community group money need help

Options
Hi can any one give me any advice
On local Community Group I was treasurer for. Due to the chairman’s verbal abuse I have resigned in writing
But as he has hounded out most of our small voluntary group. Only 3 members remain. I was also deputy Chairman.
The chairman’s wife is my second signature on check book
Now he wants me to sign my part of the bank account over to him so him and his wife are joint signatures
He hounded the married couple out of our founder couple who were also joint account holders. Because he said they were breaking the law. Having a joint account
It didn’t sit right with me
We have a lot of money in the account
And he never allowed me to tell our other members any details of how much we had in the bank. Any advice please what to do

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What is the constitution of the group, does it have a minimum number of members to allow it to operate?
    What is the purpose of the group?
    Where has the money in the account come from?
    Does the constitution say anything about what happens to the money if the group disbands?

As treasurer, why can't you just draw up accounts and issue them to all members of the group? If you're leaving anyway what can the chairman do to prevent it?
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you want to really wind up the chairman - tell the bank that the account is in dispute - they will have to block it.
    At least until the differences are sorted the balance will be safe.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 15 June 2019 at 10:06PM
    Options
    If I understand correctly your group now consists of 2 members- The Chairman and his wife. You are no longer a member of the group as you have resigned in writing..
    The 2 authorised signatories are you and the Chairman's wife.
    I don't understand your comment about you signing over your part of the bank account to the Chairman. What exactly do you mean by this?
    Do you personally have any legal claim on (part of) this money? If yes, please clarify.
    If not, following your resignation, you really have very little choice other than to give up your power of signatory and if the chairman and his wife, who are the only 2 remaining members of the group, which to appoint the Chairman as authorised signatory in your place there is very little you can do about it.
    Answering the questions previously asked by agrinnall would also help.
    Based on the information you have given it is impossible to give any meaningful advice.
    If you suspect fraudulent activity on the part of the Chairman and his wife and the amount of money is significant report them to the police.
  • Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree with jonesMUFCfo, if your name is still on the account inform the bank that illegal activities is taking place
    Also write a letter to all the members outlining what is going on, so that your version is out there for all to see.
    I would be very way with husband and wife being signatory on the bank account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure