Received no money 3 months after accepting Personal injury claim

Hi, I was offered a final settlement at the beginning of January 2018 for a personal injury claim through the solicitors that had dealt with my no fault car accident back in September 2017.
The offer was pretty reasonable and the solicitors advised me to accept it which I did.
The problem is it's now April and I still haven't received any of this payment! The solicitors say that it is due to physio costs which can't be agreed with the defendants insurers. Apparently the physiotherapists have cut a third of their bill and there is still no agreement in this issue. The physio sessions were arranged through the solicitors initially and now this is what is holding my payment up.

Is this normal? Should I be stamping my feet by now and if so, how do I do it?
TIA for any advice/help in this matter.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    If you need some money now ask your solicitor to arrange an interim payment on account from the third party.

Otherwise let it run its course
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The insurer won't raise payment for your injury until the whole claim has been agreed - UNLESS your solicitor asks them to.

Get on to your solicitor.

I suspect the reason the insurer is not agreeing the reduced physio costs is because they probably offered to instruct their preferred physical provider at cheaper rates, which your solicitor either declined or ignored.
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I suspect this is a whiplash type claim in the moj portal. The process is that the claim reaches the negotiation phase (stage 2), details of all items are negotiated over a period of up to 35 working days, whilst your damages may have been agreed at a figure no payments are issued until all items are agreed. If agreement can not be reached it goes to stage 3 which is a court hearing. Once the case goes to stage 3 the insurer will make interim payments of there best offer at that time whilst waiting for a court hearing date and you will get your money. Some solicitors take months to go to stage 3.

Put pressure on your solicitor to go to stage 3 or to accept the offer for rehab.

The problem you have is the rehab costs are likely to be overstated. Private treatment costs £35 to £40 a session. The rehab provider on your claim is likely charging £55 a session plus £50 triage fee plus £75 to £110 initial assessment plus £35 to £110 final assessment.
  • Finefoot
    Finefoot Posts: 644 Forumite
    I agree with the previous poster - ask your solicitor to request an interim payment.
    Loving the sunny days!
  • angrycrow wrote: »
    I suspect this is a whiplash type claim in the moj portal. The process is that the claim reaches the negotiation phase (stage 2), details of all items are negotiated over a period of up to 35 working days, whilst your damages may have been agreed at a figure no payments are issued until all items are agreed. If agreement can not be reached it goes to stage 3 which is a court hearing. Once the case goes to stage 3 the insurer will make interim payments of there best offer at that time whilst waiting for a court hearing date and you will get your money. Some solicitors take months to go to stage 3.

Put pressure on your solicitor to go to stage 3 or to accept the offer for rehab.

The problem you have is the rehab costs are likely to be overstated. Private treatment costs £35 to £40 a session. The rehab provider on your claim is likely charging £55 a session plus £50 triage fee plus £75 to £110 initial assessment plus £35 to £110 final assessment.

Got it in one
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport