PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Bankruptcy Notice on title deeds - potential purchase

Options
Proface
Proface Posts: 4 Newbie
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
edited 19 April 2018 at 10:17AM in House buying, renting & selling
Hello,

My partner and I were about to make an offer on a freehold property, but a quick check of the title shows up a number of bankruptcy notices. The charges section of the deed looks pretty normal with a mortgage.

Wondering if anyone else had bought a property under similar circumstances, and has any advice, tips, warnings, etc. Our main concern is, that we become liable to someone, or someone has some kind of claim to the property or that it scuppers a mortgage application. I've read gov guidance on bankruptcy and land registry, however it doesn't really give a clear answer.

If anyone has purchased a property in the circumstances any recommendations for solicitors/conveyancers would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is this a repossession sale? Who is selling - the registered owner or a bank?
  • Proface
    Options
    It is the registered owner selling, they are still detailed as proprietor on the title
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Proface wrote: »
    It is the registered owner selling, they are still detailed as proprietor on the title
    The 2nd half of that statement does not necessarily make the 1st half true.

Is that your only reason to believe it is the registered owner selling?
  • Proface
    Options
    True, I haven't specifically asked, but the estate agent has only referred to an owner selling
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure