Currys pc world beware

Options
I am new here, but I wanted to alert everyone to a process that I felt was underhand, although satisfied with purchase.
I recently bought a vacuum cleaner from currys, and paid by credit card, but it waas only later I realised what they did, they charged my credit card to pay for £129 Gift card and then used gift card to pay for the item.
Now I may be mistaken here, but if I was unsatisfied with purchase, I would not be able to claim refund back to credit card, as gift card has different rules.
Should anyone else have this problem please let others know, as we all know what happens with gift cards when company goes down.

Thanks

Graham

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We don't often shop in Currys, but this has never happened when we have - the cost has been taken straight from our credit card.

Just a thought, but I wonder if Curry's employees get commission for selling gift cards..................
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Surely buying a gift card is a cash transaction. Check what fees you have paid. I would ring your cc company and also complain to Currys head office
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Insanelogic
    Options
    Thanks thats great advice, I will be making a phone call tomorrow, and will publish their reply when spoken to them.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am new here, but I wanted to alert everyone to a process that I felt was underhand, although satisfied with purchase.
    I recently bought a vacuum cleaner from currys, and paid by credit card, but it waas only later I realised what they did, they charged my credit card to pay for £129 Gift card and then used gift card to pay for the item.
    Now I may be mistaken here, but if I was unsatisfied with purchase, I would not be able to claim refund back to credit card, as gift card has different rules.
    Should anyone else have this problem please let others know, as we all know what happens with gift cards when company goes down.

Thanks

Graham
    That sounds most irregular.

Can you possibly show us a copy of your receipt?
  • qsk
    qsk Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    Surely buying a gift card is a cash transaction. Check what fees you have paid. I would ring your cc company and also complain to Currys head office
    Are you sure? I've never been charged CC fees for buying gift cards.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds more like a 'scam' to hit sales of gift card targets.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a scam designed to hit targets or maximise commission (or both). Report it to their Head Office.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm wondering if this is similar to the scam where they set a consumer purchase up as a "business" purchase to ensure you have no rights as a consumer. My OH purchased a personal laptop a few months ago and the invoice said "PC world business" on it.
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 July 2017 at 8:18PM
    Options
    boliston wrote: »
    I'm wondering if this is similar to the scam where they set a consumer purchase up as a "business" purchase to ensure you have no rights as a consumer. My OH purchased a personal laptop a few months ago and the invoice said "PC world business" on it.

Same thing happened to me, Oxford Street store, the only thing that suggests it's a business transaction are the words "PCBW" and "B2B" on the receipt. I only noticed they did it because I got an email telling me I'd opened a PCW Business Account.

I haven't yet had a fault so not sure if they would tell me consumer rights don't apply.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    qsk wrote: »
    Are you sure? I've never been charged CC fees for buying gift cards.

Some CC's do, some CC's don't, so the OP would be best placed to also call their CC provider/check their online account and see if they had been charged as if it were a cash advance. If this is the case, a fee plus interest will be being charged and reimbursement should be sought from Curry's in due course.

You are correct that you would have had s75 protection from your credit card (another avenue to use for a refund if the vaccum goes wrong within the warranty period and Curry's don't help) but that you don't have this due to the gift card intervention.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure