We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any recommendations for a wisteria? I have a huge new pergola over the patio to cover and want a wisteria, plus a range of clematis to give me flows and foliage for as much of the year as possible.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 June 2017 at 6:37AM
    Options
    Not a recommendation, as such, but they are slow to flower if grown from unsuitable stock, seed, or ungrafted cuttings, so best bought from a trusted local nursery. Buy one in spring that's flowering, and you know what it is, and that it will!

I have a list of three or four I grew at the last place, a couple of which I loved. Different computer, age-and-alcohol-induced memory fade, so I hope tomorrow to look them up for you. One was a spectacular waterfall wisteria, loved it (and miss it).

Ragworted the 4 acre near paddock today, and surprised how clear it was. Progress! Lambs not only walk to heel on head collars, they'll walk following a pointed finger. All set for the "dog sheep" trials at the show in a few weeks. The dog is less obedient, but the sheep are simply stunning. One will really round up the dog to order. Dog not too impressed, but accepts it. Others learning fast; helps being flock animals.

Our village garden open day was cancelled, Dave, and I had mixed emotions. It was good pressure to crack on, but I can't really claim to be ready. It is very, very different to how it was a year ago, but not really ready. Next year might be better. Sad not to nose round the others, though.

Edit: up early, and sorting through the plant list for the Wisteria, and the one I liked best was "lavender lace", but that was because I had got the pruning right, and it looked good....and it was a rescue bargain from one of the diy sheds! Call me cheap, but I like a rescue. There was a "black dragon" in the same rescue, which is probably more spectacular, but I made a balls up of the pruning, so spoilt it. They were grafted, so flowered quite young. There was also a highly-scented white one, which I wrote down as shiro kapitan, but with a couple of ?? so it might not be right.

I'd buy from a reputable local garden centre (despite my shed-luck!), I'd buy a graft, and I would ideally buy in flower. They do get better and better with age, so it's worth a bit of investment at the outset.
  • greenbee
    Options
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    Edit: up early, and sorting through the plant list for the Wisteria, and the one I liked best was "lavender lace", but that was because I had got the pruning right, and it looked good....and it was a rescue bargain from one of the diy sheds! Call me cheap, but I like a rescue. There was a "black dragon" in the same rescue, which is probably more spectacular, but I made a balls up of the pruning, so spoilt it. They were grafted, so flowered quite young. There was also a highly-scented white one, which I wrote down as shiro kapitan, but with a couple of ?? so it might not be right.

I'd buy from a reputable local garden centre (despite my shed-luck!), I'd buy a graft, and I would ideally buy in flower. They do get better and better with age, so it's worth a bit of investment at the outset.
    Thanks Dafty. I think I've finally found a reasonable local garden centre, so will give them a go.... Alternatively I do use a nursery in Norfolk when I'm visiting family and I know they are good, so can always have a look there. I don't really want to have to wait until next year, but I guess I should :)

I'm currently trying to work out a combination of wisteria and clematis that will give me a long flowering period over the main part of the pergola and then roses and clematis for the rest. I think i'm OK to start planting now, as although the wires aren't on, all the rest of the disruption has finished in that area, so I can dig all the rubbish I don't want out, remove as many stones as I have the patience to deal with and add in some pelleted chicken manure... and then draw up my plan and start buying things.

I really do need to stop buying things I don't have homes for... I had to do a lot of planting today as I realised the things I'd bought a week or so ago were going to die in their pots if I didn't. I still have a peony and two poppies that are homeless but I think I might be able to reach a decision on those in the morning.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm not going to create hysteria over wisteria next, but I will agree with Dafty that buying from a reputable source is vital, as seed-raised plants from Ernie at the car boot may never actually flower.

Today was Open Gardens Day in the little town, with well over 20 of them to see in the course of an afternoon. This year, I came away slightly depressed, because the amount of shelter available in the town is so much greater than we have here. :(

Having said that, despite the battering they've had, most of our plants have come through the unseasonable winds just fine. :)
  • greenbee
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    I'm not going to create hysteria over wisteria next, but I will agree with Dafty that buying from a reputable source is vital, as seed-raised plants from Ernie at the car boot may never actually flower.

Today was Open Gardens Day in the little town, with well over 20 of them to see in the course of an afternoon. This year, I came away slightly depressed, because the amount of shelter available in the town is so much greater than we have here. :(

Having said that, despite the battering they've had, most of our plants have come through the unseasonable winds just fine. :)

Don't worry, not going near a car boot. Don't do shops either, so will either be online or a nursery, or a garden centre that actually sells plants ...

I spent yesterday at Mottisfont looking at the fabulous roses in the walled garden. Compared to my exposed garden with wind and hail battered foliage... Then again, my garden has so few plants now it doesn't really matter. Fingers crossed that next year there will be lots of greenery and flowers.

I really do need to do some chasing of builders and get on with the house as well.
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    im sort of the "ernie from the car boot " :rotfl:

more as an experiment I grew 3 wisteria from seed.. they are all about 3-4ft high [at the thickest] and EVERYONE keeps telling me they wont flower or at least outlive me before they do...:o

I always get my bedding plants /toms etc from the same elderly couple at the boot sale.. lovingly raised and nurtured and ALWAYS go onto be strong healthy plants... even grew a particular type for me [requested last year] .. they do it as hobby .. bet their garden is super !!

been another dry day here, I weeded the 2 beds either side of the front door, which seem to be producing flowers id forgotten about having borrowed seeds and relocated them there ;)
    I love this time of year when all the blooms get going... riot of colour ..

worked on the railway this morning, that's it now till the big track clean before the event :eek:
    I was sawing off low branches of a big tree last evening [think tulip tree ] when I heard a rather ominous humming noise !! looking up saw a "bee-fest" going on, on an upper branch :(
    I retreated !!

I seem to need to mow twice a week at the mo ... glad I got my new mower as it just wizzes over it., it has one of those levers that cuts but chucks it back on the lawn ? recycling .... lawn seems much better for doing it !!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 June 2017 at 10:43PM
    Options
    We started at car boots, worked our way up via village days and the WI to the Farmers' Market. Eventually, we found ourselves at the posh venues run by various wealthy folk in aid of their favourite charities, and those were the best earners. We didn't give up the market though; just exchanged the labels for ones with lower prices when we were selling there!:rotfl:

Wisteria is one of the few plants I'd not try from seed, but mostly I'd say "live dangerously and sow whatever you collect/purloin." A few of the nicest, most exciting plants we have grown came from a happy accident in the propagation dept......:o

For example, we have some cracking dahlias, an erodium I can't ID, an anthemis no one has been able to pin down, and huge astrantias, one of which we just had to call 'Hagrid.'

We also grow, and occasionally sell, one of the country's rarest umbellifers, Meum athemanticum, or Baldmoney, which we had aeons before umbels became trendy. :p It does have one drawback....about 4 or 5 years to flower from seed, but unlike some wisteria, it does get there!

https://cabinetofcuriosities-greenfingers.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/spignel-meum-athemanticum-tales-of.html?m=1

Nothing to report. We did quite well on garden gate sales over the weekend and DW sold around a dozen more Geranium maderense at the Garden Club tonight, so that's now well on its way to becoming naturalised around here. I think about 30 have gone to new homes this year alone.:D
  • greenbee
    Options
    I just don't do shopping Dave, that's the problem!

I'll scrounge as much as I can from friends and family, but I know I'm going to have to buy wisteria, roses and clematis. The problem is, most 'garden centres' round me have a very low plant-to-tat ratio... although there are a couple I trust.

I urgently need some erigeron to plant round the edge of the new patio before the weeds take hold. i'm trying to persuade my mother that she can pull up some of the stuff that has self-seeded in her brick patio and post it to me...
  • ukmaggie45
    ukmaggie45 Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just a quickie as totally exhausted. Went to PIP Tribunal today and won! Enhanced rate for both Daily Living and Mobility, backdated to 12 June 2016. Plus "It is inappropriate to fix a term." which is as near as PIP gets to the old "indefinite" on DLA. For me it prob means about 8 years. Happy bunny tonight!
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    The problem is, most 'garden centres' round me have a very low plant-to-tat ratio... although there are a couple I trust.

When did garden centres turn into tat emporiums? :mad: A big one near us used to be quite good, but now much of the footprint is taken up with toys, a pet centre, a farm shop, wine, clothing, gifts, kitchenware, you name it, plus 2 seperate cafes. Hopeless for gardening sundries now, or any plants apart from mass produced, bought in bedding plants and municipal type shrubs :( Have to shop online now, despite preferring to support local businesses.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback