Investment Advice for the worst investor ever!

Options
Hi, I’d appreciate guidance from members on investments and savings.

Currently 58 yrs old, married, in stable employment not in the best of health (chrons) pondering retirement, not before 65.
I have reasonable pension arrangements and estimate I should be able, at 67 to draw around £500 total, a week having my first pension
(RAF) starting at 60 of just below £100/ week.

My pondering is on my capital, my house is paid for and I have amassed £67k in premium bonds, not the best investment but was just somewhere to put spare cash.

Any advice on how you would proceed greatly appreciated

Comments

• Alistair31
    Options
    What is your aim ?
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You could consider moving some of your cash savings (premium bonds) into your pension where you will receive tax relief. Saving into a SIPP may allow you to build a pot which you could then draw upon to allow you to retire a little early, before your other pensions start.

But as Alistair says, without knowing what your aims are, it's difficult to offer any suggestions. For example, the suggestions above are based upon my own aim to retire early (as soon as possible) which may not be the same as your aims.
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    NedS wrote: »
    You could consider moving some of your cash savings (premium bonds) into your pension where you will receive tax relief.

Tax relief going in; taxed coming out. Plus whatever the pension is invested in could fall in value. It's an option to consider though. Personally I've never paid savings into a pension as it just doesn't make sense to me; only earnings above the 40% tax threshold to mitigate my tax bill.
  • DavePower
    Options
    Thanks guys,
    Sorry my aims,,

Like most I d like to maximise my income, obviously, in retirement but without putting any more into my occupational pension. Always been a great believer in minimum input for maximum benefit with regards to occupational pensions.

I’d like to maybe have a bash at stocks and shares ISA’s but haven’t a clue where to start.
  • Alistair31
    Options
    DavePower wrote: »
    I’d like to maybe have a bash at stocks and shares ISA’s but haven’t a clue where to start.

You could do worse than starting here;
    https://monevator.com/category/investing/passive-investing-investing/
  • Notepad_Phil
    Options
    Currently 58 yrs old, married, in stable employment not in the best of health (chrons) pondering retirement, not before 65.
    Any advice on how you would proceed greatly appreciated

So that's a minimum of about 7 years before you'll retire. So normally that would mean savings rather than investing, but...

How much retirement income will you need?

What is your partners retirement position?

Have you checked your state pension and how much you'll get and your partner checked their's?
  • DavePower
    Options
    So that's a minimum of about 7 years before you'll retire. So normally that would mean savings rather than investing, but...

How much retirement income will you need?

What is your partners retirement position?

Have you checked your state pension and how much you'll get and your partner checked their's?

I hope my current pension arrangements will be adequate and the £500/week figure includes my full state pension that I have checked
    I have enough contributions to be entitled too as does my spouse, although she does have negligible private/occupational pension arrangements.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ... I have amassed £67k in premium bonds...

How is that possible? I thought the limit per person was £50k?
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Tax relief going in; taxed coming out. Plus whatever the pension is invested in could fall in value. It's an option to consider though. Personally I've never paid savings into a pension as it just doesn't make sense to me; only earnings above the 40% tax threshold to mitigate my tax bill.

If the OP intends to retire early, and uses a SIPP to fund those early retirement years (s)he could withdraw £12500 pa tax free. Add another £12500 pa from a partner's SIPP and a couple can achieve £25K pa tax free income which (for us) is enough to live on, so tax relief on the way in and no tax on the way out. For anyone over 55, this is an instant 25% return without having to put any capital at risk. OP is unlikely to see a 25% return on their premium bonds.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Like most I d like to maximise my income, obviously, in retirement but without putting any more into my occupational pension. Always been a great believer in minimum input for maximum benefit with regards to occupational pensions.

Having sufficient income, while minimizing the chance of losing capital, is a better aim. (There are valid investments (as well as scams) that pay high income but at the risk of depleting capital.)

You could also get the pension benefits mentioned (no/low tax) from a SIPP, where you basically have the same investment opportunities as with an S&S ISA, but different taxation regime.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family