Late cancellation or holiday change?

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
First Post
We are to go on holiday in a few days with a large group of friends, but my husband has been referred for an urgent CAT scan even though X-rays are normal. So, he is classed as 'undiagnosed'. Insurers will cover him if GP notes 'fit to travel' on medical record. GP agrees with holiday, sees no reason he should not travel but wont put 'fit to travel' in writing. All cover your back stuff. What is the best option?-
Cancel entirely and claim on insurance?Would we get full cost of holiday back?
Go on my own? Would we lose eligibility to reclaim husbands lost holiday?
Find a substitute?
Change dates of holiday? (Not so easy to organise for various reasons)
Do nothing and hope for a miracle of apt and diagnosis in 3 days?
All advice welcomed

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cancel entirely and claim on insurance?Would we get full cost of holiday back?
    it will depend on your policy (you will need to read the wording or ask them) but will likely need a doctors letter to confirm that he is not fit to travel
    Go on my own? Would we lose eligibility to reclaim husbands lost holiday? - as above
    Find a substitute?
    are name changes allowed? unless a package it tends to be only low cost carriers that allow name changes (for a fee)
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    I think the bigger problem you have is should your husband become ill whilst away will the travel insurance cover him.

How long are you going away for ? If it's a couple of days then I think I'd chance it....anything longer I'd ring travel insurance company and ask for confirmation you'd be covered.
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You don't say where you're going to either, which is very relevant in the circumstances.

If it's Europe where you would have EHIC coverage it would be a safer bet than going to the USA, for example.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    GP agrees with holiday, sees no reason he should not travel but wont put 'fit to travel' in writing.

I find that very strange. Is it possible that the GP is using comforting language and you have misunderstood?

Personally I would discuss this with the practice manager, and consider raising a complaint with the NHS trust.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure