Getting the Cat into the Cat Carrier

Options

Comments

• tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Well we managed to get the cat to the vets. I distracted her with Dreamies and then my husband grabbed her and tried to push her into the carrier. However, it was not all plain sailing. She fought with him and his arms ended up very badly scratched, dripping with blood. We had to treat his injuries before we went. I asked him why he didn't use the gloves, which he had got out and he said they would have frightened her.

When we got her to the surgery she had wet herself - we had puppy pads but she was smelly. The vet took her to clean her up and she was such a darling little cat, you wouldn't think she was the same wildcat as half an hour before.

She is still overweight but because of the healthy food diet I devised for her she has lost some weight. They said it wasn't enough and they want her to go to their slimming club with a weigh in once a month. I said to them you have to be joking, look at his arms. So the nurse is going to ring me with details of a prescription diet.

I think though, those diets are not good food and if she is losing weight on my diet, which I recently put together, then that should be good enough. I worked it out to be 160 calories and she doesn't seem too hungry on that. Before when she had the prescription diet she was always crying pitifully for food.

The journey home was a breeze. They always seem to know and she has taken herself upstairs to chill and calm down.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• room512
    room512 Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We have to take ours to the vet tomorrow - must have been tempting fate by posting! She has a poorly mouth so we have to get her there. Dreading it. Glad you got yours to the vet but sorry to hear about your husband's arms!
  • tesuhoha
    Options
    room512 wrote: »
    We have to take ours to the vet tomorrow - must have been tempting fate by posting! She has a poorly mouth so we have to get her there. Dreading it. Glad you got yours to the vet but sorry to hear about your husband's arms!

Good luck. Let us know the outcome.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• splishsplash
    splishsplash Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    This is pretty much what I do: .

If you have a difficult cat, your type of cat carrier is a disaster. You have no way to hold them in it while you close it. The design in the video means you run them in head first and close the door before they can turn around.
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • cheeky-peach
    Options
    You can also get some Feliway type spray which you can put on a towel or something and put into the crate. One of our cats is a nightmare and I found this helps.
  • room512
    room512 Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I picked her up and shoved her in before she knew what was happening! We then had the yowling and pooing in the car. Get into the vets and she is perfectly behaved. Get back in the car and the yowling starts again. It is so traumatic for us and her. They think she may have been stung on her lip or it could be an ingrowing hair. Hopefully the sting or we have to go back in two weeks!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,058 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This isn't a moneysaving option, but someone I know has a cat who gets SO stressed by visits to the vet that home visits have been suggested.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,039 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    This isn't a moneysaving option, but someone I know has a cat who gets SO stressed by visits to the vet that home visits have been suggested.

I'd try to avoid this - the cat may never feel safe in his/her own home.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,058 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd try to avoid this - the cat may never feel safe in his/her own home.
    Well, it's the state the cat gets into being put into a carrier which is the concern.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • tesuhoha
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Well, it's the state the cat gets into being put into a carrier which is the concern.

I am not sure about home visits as there is plenty of scope for hiding under the bed etc. Also she keeps still at the vet but may not do so in the house. We only live 5 minutes from the vet so its a short trip, just a bit traumatic for all of us.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure