NHS starting salary

Options

Comments

• polgara
    polgara Posts: 500 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Aside from the pension, you get 35 days AL starting, 6 months full sick pay and guaranteed salary increase.

I’m real terms your current increase isn’t that high; 5k after tax, NI and pension, is £250 a month.

27 days plus bank holidays moving up to a maximum of 33 plus bank holidays (usually 8 but can change based on Easter and which annual leave year it falls in).

Generous sick pay - however you have to have service to get the full 6 months:

• during the first year of service – one month’s full pay and two months’ half pay
    • during the second year of service – two months’ full pay and two months’ half pay
    • during the third year of service – four months’ full pay and four months’ half pay
    • during the fourth and fifth years of service – five months’ full pay and five months’ half pay
    • after completing five years of service – six months’ full pay and six months’ half pay.
    The new system is movement through step points annual but there isn't guaranteed salary increase for new starters.
    However, the pension is pretty hard to match for most small employers - employer contribution is very good plus the other stuff - lots of places give discounts for NHS staff.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,792 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's the official position, unofficially these rules are sometimes bent if the successful applicant is the only one regarded as appointable or was streets ahead of everyone else.

There is no NHS-wide official position that people must start at the bottom of the scale (eg in Agenda for Change itself or via legislation). Individual trusts can have whatever policy they like, providing it doesn't breach equality legislation.
    The 2 trusts I've worked for have had policies saying they can offer higher than the min if the candidate justifies it (eg suitable qualifications and/or experience from other employers) but that's not "bending the rules", its following them
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Which trust have you applied for ?
  • JayRitchie
    JayRitchie Posts: 526 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    polgara wrote: »

However, the pension is pretty hard to match for most small employers - employer contribution is very good plus the other stuff - lots of places give discounts for NHS staff.

Pretty much no private sector employer gives a pension anything like as good as the NHS one. Thats a serious consideration for anyone considering a job there.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    Andy_L wrote: »
    There is no NHS-wide official position that people must start at the bottom of the scale (eg in Agenda for Change itself or via legislation). Individual trusts can have whatever policy they like, providing it doesn't breach equality legislation.
    The 2 trusts I've worked for have had policies saying they can offer higher than the min if the candidate justifies it (eg suitable qualifications and/or experience from other employers) but that's not "bending the rules", its following them

When I said official I wasn't referring to something written into legislation, rather the internal position of HR teams within individual NHS organisations. My experience of the organisations I've worked for in the NHS is the usual HR position is that all appointments are to the bottom of the pay scale for the relevant band (the exception being if it's an existing NHS employee on the same band who instead starts one increment higher) but they will, occasionally, be more flexible depending on the circumstances.

Of course each organisation is free to set up it's own HR policies in this regard so I'm sure there are some who regard the starting salary of every post as open to negotiation.
  • panika
    panika Posts: 149 Forumite
    Options
    Band 5 starting salary comparing for experienced/qualified person comparing to private sector. On the plus side, you are getting better pension, more annual leave and sick pay. It is also more secure employment. Sometimes, when you look what managers do and see consequences of their decisions, you will notice, that this wouldn't go so lightly in the private sector.
    I have been working in Ebme departments for a few years. Just a thought- after gaining experience in this kind of job, you can apply for band 6 position where you will earn between 30-38k.
  • Hm121
    Hm121 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    I was looking into the pension but would you be able to tell me what the exact employer contribution is, it says 14.3% on the nhs site, but I read that it went up 6.3% in April making the total 20.6%, I did enquire about the pension and have been told its 20.83%, so alot of conflicting information. So let's say the employer contribution is 20.6 and I contribute 7.1, so the total would be 27.7, am I right in thinking 27.7 would be the correct amount?

So using 27.7%, the monthly pension contribution on the starting salary of £24214 with the nhs would be £558.94 each month?
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    Is the employer contribution relevant? It's still a final salary scheme isn't it? It's not funded from a "pot".
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is the employer contribution relevant? It's still a final salary scheme isn't it? It's not funded from a "pot".

I believe for new joiners it is based on total contributions rather than final salary. However, you can transfer in pension from other places.

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/member-hub/cost-being-scheme
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Catkei
    Catkei Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    NHS no longer offer final salary pension for new starters from 2015.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback