MBNA certify document

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but I'm looking for some advice.

I have just submitted an application for an MBNA money transfer card after completing the eligibility check on MSE. Now MBNA are requesting that 3 ID documents are signed by a certified financial professional or a solicitor.

I'm currently struggling to find anyone to sign the documents. Can the bank sign these?

I'm also worried because I wasn't made aware by MSE or MBNA that the ID certifying procedure was so strict (I'm never had problems in the past) until after my application was sent off. Now if I can't get the documents signed in the 14days or choose note to go ahead I will have a hard check against my credit score.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ask your bank. They may.

It would be unreasonable to expect MSE will to go into detail on the various ID checks a lender may make.

If you choose not to go ahead, it's only one search on your credit files.
  • azrace
    azrace Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Thank you - I just thought there was a standard to ID certifying that any "professional" could sign the documents. I didn't realise every lender was different.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You could probably get any solicitor to do it for you in 5 minutes just by walking in off the street with your documents - they would probably charge you £15 (possibly for each document but more likely for the job as a whole).

If you can get them done for free at your bank, so much the better, but make sure to tell MBNA that you want the certified documents back when they've finished with them - you might need to use them again.
  • azrace
    azrace Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    That's a great idea, I hadn't thought to ask for the documents back.

If I don't get anywhere at the bank over the weekend I think I will call round the solicitors.

Thank you.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Although in almost 40 years of using credit cards I have never encountered a request for any documents to be provided to the credit card company, I suppose there might be cases where the company is unable to verify the address or identity of the applicant by other means.
    I would suggest that, having made the application, you proceed to send in the documents as requested in case your failure to do so should cause MBNA to believe that the application was somehow fraudulent. I may be being over cautious here but I would have that concern if it was me.
    As has been said, a solicitor will do this for a small fee and usually on the spot but if possible better to get your bank to do it.
    Don't worry about a single hard search on your credit files. It's not the end of the world and in isolation will mean nothing.
  • sleepyjones
    sleepyjones Posts: 6,087 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Don't really have any advice but remember it's a bank holiday on Monday if there's a time pressure to get this done.
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You could probably get any solicitor to do it for you in 5 minutes just by walking in off the street with your documents - they would probably charge you £15 (possibly for each document but more likely for the job as a whole).
    I've just had a 14-page Power of Attorney certified by a solicitor. Stamped and signed on every page. Cost £5.

If there are a few solicitor's offices nearby, it might be worth asking each for a quote. The first place I tried wanted £20. Shop around.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Options
    Vortigern wrote: »
    I've just had a 14-page Power of Attorney certified by a solicitor. Stamped and signed on every page. Cost £5.

If there are a few solicitors' offices nearby, it might be worth asking each for a quote. The first place I tried wanted £20. Shop around.

A fiver is good value.

What I had found with getting certified copies of things is that you might have 2 documents of, say, 4 pages each (8 pages in total) and they'd want to charge you a £15 fee for each document (£30) but you could have a single 14 page document (which is more work for them in total) but you'd only have to pay a single £15 fee.
  • stevenhp1987
    stevenhp1987 Posts: 907 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Walk into a Lloyds (as they own MBNA) and get them to certify them?

Or ask your own bank, although they may not certify anything other than their own bank statement.

You can also pay the Post Office to do this: https://www.postoffice.co.uk/document-certification-service
  • LobsterMemory
    LobsterMemory Posts: 439 Forumite
    Options
    Terry must have a posh solicitor or I've got the same one as Vortigern - £5 a document (however many pages)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure