Critical Illness as stand alone policy

Options
Is it possible to take out Critical Illness as a standalone policy?

All the comparison websites will only do it as an add on.

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    yes you can, but it's expensive to make the cover worthwhile. If you have the money sure get it , but i would consider income protection which would cover your time off work for medical reasons.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Take death or earlier critical illness cover, rather than stand alone.

It adds pennies to the premium and ensures a payout whether you survive for the required minimum period or not.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • weighty1_2
    Options
    I ran a standalone CI quote and compared it to the cost of including life cover and the difference was 5p per month!

Based on the risk of not receiving a payout if the client hadn't had survived the 14 day period following a diagnosis it simply doesn't make financial sense NOT to include life cover.

There are some scenarios were including life cover is not financially good advice but these are few and far between.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure