Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That sounds a great weekend - and you fitted two NT properties in, thats good! The roofing kit sounds really interesting - very empowering to do it yourself :j

Totally with you on the gratitudes :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Morning all,

Things have been fairly quiet here over the last few days - some work, lots of housework. Our neighbour provided a lovely curry last night, and then came back with cat nip and balls for the cats! We are all very appreciative. I took her some rhubarb and biscuits yesterday too.

MS things:
    * Comp win cheque has arrived - still need to pay it in
    * Visited the library for free entertainment
    * DH has listed a few bits on the Bay which should help declutter and bring a few pennies in
    * YG and NV surveys
    * SBs Swago and code extravaganza helped yesterday
    * The usual stuff! Definitely in the mid-month slog patch at the moment.
    * Yoghurt made, bananas used up in a cake
    * Baked a terrible foccaccia (i.e. tastes like normal plain bread) - will use it up though

Gratitudes:
    * Lovely dinner last night - honestly it's better than takeaway!
    * A Mum and Niece day today as Sis has gone back to 4 days a week (Niece will usually be in nursery, but this is a transition phase)
    * Learnt something new on a piece of work software - always good for the brain

Hope the weather's better where you are (chucking it down here - blaming it on the local free outdoor cinema! :( ). Have a good day all!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Karmacat
    Options
    Yep, chucking it here too, well, the raindrops are small, but they just keep coming :) I'm blaming it on the council's fun day, held on the rec. ground I can see from my house. Poor things!
  • Crumpets
    Crumpets Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    Options
    Hi MV,

Sorry I haven't popped in for a while! sounds like things have been going well for you - Whats this about a competition win? (didn't read back that far :o)

We had the rain this morning but it's been sunny this afternoon :) long may it last

How lovely that you have a neighbour that feeds you! My parents also have one of those, I'm very jealous :D

Have a nice day
    Mortgage March 2011 £143,927.6
    Mortgage Feb 2019 £78,323.18
  • themadvix
    Options
    Morning all,

Hi Crumpets - I won £500 in a puzzle competition on the comping board :) Have just discovered I can't win anything more with Bauer for 6 months though (date is in the diary, it'll save me time in the meantime!)

Really struggling for energy at the moment - but we've had a busy weekend! I put my somewhat dubious sewing skills to the test and created a cover for our letter box cage to stop naughty cat from chewing any plastic that comes through the door (i.e. RM survey stuff, every week, don't get me started). Quite pleased with it and it cost me nothing as I already had the fabric - bought a long time ago on a whim. Frugal win was reusing some wrapping paper kept at Christmas as it had a 1cm grid marked out on the back of it - who needs pattern paper?!

Saturday afternoon we went to a neighbour's bbq - really weren't sure about going, but actually had a lovely time, ended up staying until 9.30 and were fed to excess and had leftovers forced upon us! :D They did us both for lunch yesterday and there's enough for me for lunch today too - all Carribean food, absolutely delish! (So the theme of being fed by others continues this month :rotfl: )

Yesterday DH did some car stuff (including finding bits to ebay) and I went for a walk - with more new people! The introvert in me is so glad I'm working alone at home today. It was really nice to meet some new people though.

In bad news, the cats knocked my phone off the side last night while it was charging and now the charging cable has to be at exactly the right angle to charge.... it's not looking too promising for it's longevity at this point. I really don't want a new phone! :(

MS things:
    * DH sold his old PS3 on the Bay
    * Couple of other bits are selling, need to list more
    * Free food! (And a bottle of punch - provided by the feeder neighbour for the party but was leftover - to enjoy tonight with BIL and GF)
    * Comps entered, MS rw, SBs, and VB done
    * S&S and FOTG done
    * All survey invites done, PA survey done
    * General frugalness being upheld while enjoying life :)

Gratitudes:
    * For the opportunity to get to know our neighbours better
    * For delicious food
    * For a lovely walk yesterday with new people
    * For lovely family time yesterday afternoon/evening

- truly feeling blessed at the moment

Have a good Monday everyone!

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Karmacat
    Options
    How wonderful! Except the phone, don't blow on it, even! I completely get that the introvert in you is overjoyed to be alone working at home today :)
  • themadvix
    Options
    Morning all,

Thanks Karma - changed the phone cable and it seems to be working a bit better... fingers crossed! Didn't sleep again last night - hayfever is the culprit (and the wind-dried bedsheets :( ). Eventually came down for an antihistamine tablet in the middle of the night, but not before plenty of 'I'm nearly asleep, I don't need to do that'. So I'm exhausted, have plenty of work to do and several important non-work-related jobs to get done. Work is going well so far, I'll get to the rest later!

Have opened a FD RS, so will be bunging my buffer fund in there £300 at a time for the next year. Just waiting for the switch, which should happen today and then my Expedia voucher should start winging its way to me :) We'll be using this to book accommodation for our Christmas markets trip (flights already booked).

MS things:
    * Used up some naff veggie sausages in risotto last night
    * MS rw, VB poll
    * FD regular saver opened
    * NV survey done
    * £1900 tax rebate due - which is good as my calcs didn't seem to be giving me much to put in my pension/LISA/S&S ISA :)

Gratitudes:
    * Computers - for enabling all this money saving to be done without moving
    * My car - got to send the PS3 today and it's too heavy to carry to drop off point from home
    * The dishwasher - it may have been a bit rubbish lately, but first world problems!

Have a good afternoon all.... I may catch some zzzzzzs
    x

• themadvix
    Options
    Have just seen that I won't be getting the cashback I'm due from a retailer on £co as they're no longer listed on the site! :(

SBs done....

• themadvix
    Options
    Afternoon all,

Where did that week go? I'm not sure....

Everything continues as normal though. My FD switch has completed so will soon be able to book accommodation for our December break. I did get the cashback for my holiday - so when that arrives in the account it'll go straight in the savings, which is where I've just transferred my winnings too.

We spent the weekend (Sat and Mon, it rained all of Sun) replacing the garage roof. We're now both exhausted and achy, but the roof is watertight if not quite finished. It's cost us ~£200, so a massive saving on paying someone to do it. I cooked up a massive batch of daal and rice on Friday night and we ate this for lunches and one dinner over the weekend - it meant we didn't have to think about food and there was always something on hand - a plan I will use again when doing DIY projects.

We're off to our neighbour's for dinner tonight, which should be lovely. It's a pity we're both so tired as I think I'd rather be asleep, but hopefully it won't be a late night.

I've started on presents for Christmas (I know, I apologise for swearing, *especially* as it's only August!). The plan involves buying some bits from charity shops and knitting other items, so I *need* to start now or it'll never happen! I already had the wool, so glad to be using it and the charity shop items should cut the cost of the 'gifty' presents in half if not more, so very pleased with these bits.

MS things:
    * Repaired a small hole in a t-shirt of DH's (thanks YT)
    * Blanched and froze gifted french and runner beans
    * Cheap meals all weekend
    * Ebay sales, various, netting a small profit :)

Gratitudes:
    * FIL and my Dad for their help (sometimes back-breaking) with the garage roof
    * Our neighbour for her continued kindness and friendship
    * DH for being as frugal as me, even though he's had to do much of the hard work

Will try to post more this week, but I can definitely tell that the summer is coming to an end in terms of volume of work!

Have a good evening all!

• Karmacat
    Options
    Madvix, that is *admirable* that you've managed to replace the garage roof yourself, I'm really impressed. The rest is really impressive too, its very wide ranging and very mse :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure