Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!

Options

Comments

• Crumpets
    Crumpets Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Sorry to hear that you've been poorly :( glad you're on the mend now and back eating food. Date night sounds lovely, it's so important to take time out to be a couple.

Well done on your competition win :T, I know it was a while ago but I haven't had the time to catch up :o I love that Nana was getting all the credit for the tea set too :D well done on being the finder of said tea set though :D

you are so inspiring with all your MSE ways, I really feel like dh and I have lost the plot somewhat...must get back on track with Christmas fast approaching :santa2: :rotfl:
    Mortgage March 2011 £143,927.6
    Mortgage Feb 2019 £78,323.18
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,916 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Aw thanks Crumpets, I'm really not sure about being inspiring! :o I think we're pretty hardcore (except when we travel), but then we don't have a huge income to spend anyway. We're both happy with the simple things, which helps! I also have to give credit to the Frugalwoods again - I think their blog really clicked with me (we would love a 'homestead' in the future) and their frugalities are things I can do (whereas I just can't relate to other bloggers sometimes). Reading that and doing the UFM challenge have definitely improved our focus at the moment. WWTFWD has become a refrain in our house - it helps that DH reads their blog too! (It's a bit tragic, isn't it?!)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• themadvix
    Options
    Morning all,

So I've booked our Christmas markets hotel - two nights in a capital city for £12 of real money and breakfast included :D Thanks FD! And a 5% saver too, what's not to like?!

Had dinner at mum's last night - talked her our of takeaway (again) and we popped round to the supermarket and grabbed a pizza (veg balti - delicious!). A fraction of the takeaway cost.... :T

I've got work to do this morning and then I'm popping to see a friend with a baby before Brownies. Hoping to persuade her that we could drink a cuppa at home and then go for a walk, but prepared to spend on a drink out if necessary, as she may *need* to get out of the house! I'll prep my dinner before I go as DH won't be here to cook it tonight (sad face) and this will remove the temptation of the takeaway.

MS things:
    * A bid on an Ebay item and watchers on another
    * Hotel booking also garnered Nectar points and Expedia rewards (they may as well give me spending money, it's one of those gifts that just keeps giving! :D )
    * TV has remained off for 3 days in a row - must be saving leccy!

Gratitudes:
    * A good evening with mum and tasty non-takeaway
    * Sunshine again here today
    * Looking forward to catch up with friend later and baby cuddles

Happy Friday everyone!

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You *are* inspirational, madvix! I like the way you keep track of your saving percentage, thats a really savvy thing to do, lets you know whether you're on track in terms of *your* income. And the Frugalwoods blog is amazing, isn't it. Was it her that was saying about "living as if"? Live as if you're already on your homestead. You can check you like the lifestyle, not just the dream, and you have a couple of extra skills you've gained before you get there. I've always liked the sound of that.

Have a great Friday, baby cuddles and all :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    edited 8 September 2018 at 11:01AM
    Options
    Thanks Karma :o The savings percentage has been stolen from FWs too :) We're definitely getting into tracking money things more.

I don't know whether she's the 'live as if' person, not especially as far as I've read, but it's a great concept and one we try to apply.

Off for baby cuddles shortly! :)

• themadvix
    Options
    Afternoon all,

Bit of a lazy day today - I picked up DH from the station this morning but the weather has rubbed off on us and we've been a bit meh all day. Have listed a few bits on the Bay and elsewhere and I popped out for some essential supplies.

Cuddles with baby yesterday were lovely and we didn't go anywhere, just had a cuppa at my friend's house.

Have found and bought DH a jumper on Ebay - he has one the same in a different colour and this one had been worn once and was about 1/4 of the price :) DH isn't particularly keen on charity shop clothes, although he's prepared to give them a go. So this was a great compromise :) (he does actually need it too). I have my eye on a jacket that is similarly bargainous at the moment - also needed.

MS things:
    * Clicks etc. done
    * Meal plan for the week done
    * Ebay listings
    * RM survey stuff prepped
    * £5 RM survey voucher received for special survey

Gratitudes:
    * Lovely time with friend and baby yesterday afternoon
    * Good chat with neighbour last night - hoping to start playing badminton soon (not the feeding neighbour ;) )
    * A nice quiet day at home

Have a good Saturday night all, I shall be catching up with NCIS :D

• Crumpets
    edited 9 September 2018 at 8:55AM
    Options
    Sounds like I need to start reading the Frugalwoods blog then!! Aso What is UFM??

Your Christmas market break sounds lovely! and what a great way to pay for it as well :T

I also felt a bit meh yesterday, grey weather and grey mood! sun is shining here today, hope it is for you too :)

Great news on your ebay buys! I'm currently watching some jeans...I cant remember if I mentioned it on my diary, but I set myself a challenge of buying no new clothing this year. So I've been buying from charity shops, ebay and just using what I have. I can't wait to see how much I've spent/saved at the end of the year :)

Hope you have a lovely Sunday

Edit - I think I've just spotted what UFM means - Uber Frugal Month??
  • themadvix
    Options
    Hey Crumpets, spot on with Uber Frugal Month. I think you'll like the Frugalwoods - they're pretty eco friendly (largely from their lack of purchasing) and they now live on a homestead in the woods :)

We've done Christmas markets for the last few years - we love Germany, so it's a great way to explore the cities. Venturing to Vienna this year though. Downside is we're flying with Ryanair (there are many downsides to this, but this is the second time we've flown with them and the second time that they've changed their baggage allowance *after* we've booked. :mad: Looking forward to the trip though and breakfast included will definitely help the budget!

Weather is still meh here today, but DH has got to get on and finish the last bit of the garage roof (mainly because my Dad wants his ladder back!). More ebaying is happening this morning too - are we the only people who have things hanging around for ages (not in one place, but all over) that we intend to sell but just don't get around to doing? (And then there's freecycle stuff... aaargh!) We're getting rid of some of those bits today at last/least!

I love the no new clothes challenge idea. I only ever buy stuff I need but it'll be interesting to see how buying 2nd hand helps the budget. (Except underwear, I draw the line there!! ;) ) And I certainly intend to use what I have more than I would have in the past (see FWs for clothes-buying ban inspiration!). However, am not a keen clothes purchaser so there are always gaps - I've needed new trainers for more than two years now (they have a hole in the toe!)... but I *hate* buying them!

Have a lovely Sunday at yours too!

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Definitely with you on the hate buying clothes thing. And on using what I've got more - it really helps, on all sorts of levels.

I bet the market in Vienna (markets?) is wonderful :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Crumpets
    Options
    themadvix wrote: »

I love the no new clothes challenge idea. I only ever buy stuff I need but it'll be interesting to see how buying 2nd hand helps the budget. (Except underwear, I draw the line there!! ;) ) And I certainly intend to use what I have more than I would have in the past (see FWs for clothes-buying ban inspiration!). However, am not a keen clothes purchaser so there are always gaps - I've needed new trainers for more than two years now (they have a hole in the toe!)... but I *hate* buying them!

I definitely draw the line at underwear too! the only new thing I've brought this year has been 2 bras and a packet of knickers :rotfl:

I have been in the past, a rather keen clothes shopper :o I've learnt my lesson though, and I've got more of a capsule wardrobe now. Luckily teen dd has got the bug for charity shop shopping so that saves the ££ too :T

Have you heard of project 33 too? it is about only allowing yourself 33 items of clothing/accessories per season.

I've started the frugalwoods blog, also started following them on instagram too. I like them already.:D

Hope dh has finished the roof and you've done your ebay bits
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family