We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Help settle a knotweed dispute

Options
tori.k
tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
Can I ask does the word Knotweed alone really cause enough fear to put buyers off a house?

Comments

• DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes.

bit more
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Simple answer to simple question... More lengthy answer would be:

Some mortgage lenders are distinctly wary if knotweed is declared by a seller.
    Treatment plans with guarantees are costly, and depend on the ability to reach the source, which often involves other property owners. Can be difficult/impossible.
    The Daily Mail and the Express (who know much about nothing, but are both believed by idiots) KNOW that KNOTWEED is simply a DISASTER likely to cause house offices to CRASH!!!! !!!!!
    As a result, many buyers just run a mile at the faintest mention. Owners fib, claim they have none, and open another can of worms.
    Other, more sensible buyers might avoid one with knotweed for an identical one without.

Many properties, and some areas, become blighted as a result.

I bought a house with knotweed, and did so knowingly. Treated it myself and, two years later, it's firmly under control, and will soon be gone. It's probably cost me a couple of quid at most. But, the land is mine, and I know what I'm doing. Supposedly!
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, they have made such a thing of knotweed that many will run a mile.

It wouldn't put me off if I really liked a house, and the lender wasn't an issue.
  • ChrisK....._3
    Options
    Im intrigued by the title
    Help settle a knotweed dispute
    Suggests someone is disputing 'whether' knotweed would put buyers off, when ANY circumstance that warrants dispute could equally warrant dispute amongst house buyers
    If I ruled the world.......
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Almost anything might put buyers off a house, but look at gardens on Rightmove and you'll see the level of appreciation and knowledge that the average punter displays of the natural world, so scaring such people is easy-peasy. Scaring folk sells papers...I don't know why, but probably it makes them feel good when they reflect, "Well, at least I don't have THAT!"

Dafty is willing to buy a property with JK, and so might I be, but for Mr & Mrs Bloggs, it's something to run a mile from, along with barking dogs, feral kids and 'needs improvement' on the local school's OFSTED report.

Errr....anyway, why do you ask? You haven't got it have you? :cool:
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    edited 21 June 2018 at 4:34PM
    Options
    Even people who aren't particularly worried about it might be put off on the basis that future buyers could be wary.
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Almost anything might put buyers off a house, but look at gardens on Rightmove and you'll see the level of appreciation and knowledge that the average punter displays of the natural world, so scaring such people is easy-peasy. Scaring folk sells papers...I don't know why, but probably it makes them feel good when they reflect, "Well, at least I don't have THAT!"

Dafty is willing to buy a property with JK, and so might I be, but for Mr & Mrs Bloggs, it's something to run a mile from, along with barking dogs, feral kids and 'needs improvement' on the local school's OFSTED report.

Errr....anyway, why do you ask? You haven't got it have you? :cool:

It grieves me to see all that wasted potential.:(
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,526 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    A single stand in the corner of a garden, no.

Half an acre full of the stuff and evidence of it on adjacent land, yes.
  • tori.k
    Options
    Thanks guys sorry its taken a few days to elaborate been crazy busy.
    It was a dispute over the word knotweed not the plant Japanese Knotweed itself.
    Basically I created a border planting plan for a non-gardener I wanted to include Persicaria red dragon (a bit of a thug but easy controllable) opinion is divided when the non gardener googles the plant list, which they always do to check the price, the fact that its a knotweed will make it a non starter. As all knotweeds are now vilified.
    Beggar I now have to make the tea all week :)
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Nothing wrong with Red Dragon,which I was admiring in someone's NGS open garden garden today. When I Googled, only one site on the first page mentioned the word 'Knotweed.'

Surely, if people are intending to employ you, there should be some element of trust, and if they're Googling it, they'll see some rather famous names among the stockists too.

Confusing garden persicarias with JK is akin to imagining that Anthriscus 'Ravenswing' might have some of the attributes of its close relative, Giant Hogweed!
  • tori.k
    Options
    Its a beautiful plant I haven't handed over the plant list yet, it was a bet between workmates that the word knotweed is on the villain list between Darth Vader and Donald Trump of things you don't want in your garden.
    I naivety took the view that since the majority are happy to house quite a few invasive native and non native plants, it wouldn't be an issue.
    If really need/have too I can replace with heuchera but I will sulk :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure