Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Madeleine's Fund : Leaving No Stone Unturned

David_B_2
David_B_2 Posts: 718 Forumite
I think we have all heard about the events of the poor McCann family, here is were you can help.

Offical fund raising site :- http://www.findmadeleine.com/

Taken from : - http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,70131-1266028,00.html

I wish them all well.
Regards,
Dave

If only I had a pound for every time I used the thanks button :D

Comments

• Yogibear
    Yogibear Posts: 459 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    this is so heartbreaking,I know how I feel God knows how they are coping with it.
    please do not pick on me for my grammar,I left school at fifteen and worked in the building trade for 55years ,

Chalk and slate csc:D
  • Chas
    Chas Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Please can someone explain to me why Madeleine's family need money to help find her?

I sincerely hope that Madeleine will be found safe & well, but I just don't understand this appeal for money.

I may be making some assumptions here but what expenses do they have?

I can't imagine that Mark Warner are charging them (or their family) to stay at the resort. They may be paying for food/drink but they'd be paying for that at home anyway.

It's been two weeks but they probably haven't even missed a payday yet. I can't imagine that their employers aren't paying them.

Legal fees? What legal fees? Legal fees to set up a fighting fund to pay the legal fees? Anyway, aren't legal fees covered by holiday insurance?

Both parents are said to be doctors so I would imagine they are both on good salaries. This doesn't seem to be an impoverished family.

The British police won't be charging for their time/services. Do the Portugese police charge? Somehow I doubt it.

I just don't get it.
  • astonsmummy
    astonsmummy Posts: 14,219 Forumite
    I have to agree with chas, i thought it was going to be a fund raiser for missing children/people, in her name.
    :j Baby boy Number 2, arrived 12th April 2009!:j
  • mystic_trev
    mystic_trev Posts: 5,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Chas wrote: »
    Please can someone explain to me why Madeleine's family need money to help find her?

I agree, although the family have my sympathy, I find this distasteful when there are sooo many childrens charities that are in need of money.

Lets have a reality check.

The Police found NO evidence of forced entry to the Apartment, although that dosen't mean there was an abduction from the Apartment.

The Police sniffer dogs traced Madeleines scent to a Supermarket around the corner.

Police (both here and in Portugal) think the child wandered out from the Apartment to the Supermarket around the corner,where she was then taken, probably by a paedophile who made the most of the oppourtunity.

I'm afraid ad much as I'd like to believe otherwise, she's almost certainly dead.
  • aaroncaz
    aaroncaz Posts: 5,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Im sorry, but i just wonder, if this had been a single mom/dad, who's child was taken, due to their leaving the child on its own, would there be a fund for her/him? somehow i doubt it!!

While i do hope she is found, its looking unlikely, im afraid.
  • Al_Mac
    Al_Mac Posts: 5,519 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This is a white middle class story. It appeals to white middle class people. That's why it is being hyped by the press.

Very, very sad, but I am sure there is a lot of other children in very bad situations everywhere.

I did hear that the money would be used for other similar situations? The last similar situation was Ben Needham back in the early nineties!
  • aaroncaz
    First Anniversary
    The family has even been to see MPs today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6662723.stm

:rolleyes:
  • aaroncaz
    First Anniversary
    Al_Mac wrote: »
    This is a white middle class story. It appeals to white middle class people. That's why it is being hyped by the press.

Very, very sad, but I am sure there is a lot of other children in very bad situations everywhere.

I did hear that the money would be used for other similar situations? The last similar situation was Ben Needham back in the early nineties!

and very little if anything on the news abt that case!!
  • mystic_trev
    mystic_trev Posts: 5,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This is a great Media story, tugs on the heartstrings like Pricess Diana's death 10 years ago. Just wait, give it a couple of months and the same media will be 'digging up the dirt' on the family, saying what bad parents they were.
  • David_B_2
    David_B_2 Posts: 718 Forumite
    Thank you all for your comments and I totally respect your view and opinions.

In some ways I agree with you. Being a parent myself I can totally understand why they are doing what ever it takes to find their daughter and I'm sure you would do, parent or not.

Lets not use this thread to voice are opinions on the event that has unfortunately now happened and focus and those you want to help now being able to so.

If you prefer to spend a message of support you can do so do using the address given by MSE Archna http://www.bringmadeleinehome.com/ that she posted here.
    Regards,
    Dave

If only I had a pound for every time I used the thanks button :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills