Partner on ESA & I'm about to be unemployed

Options
My partner gets ESA (he's had Cancer and now as a result developed a heart problem which resulted in triple heart bypass surgery), he's been getting it for about 18/19 months. I'm about to become unemployed and have been told I can't claim JSA, but would need to be added to his ESA claim. Firstly can anyone tell me if that is correct and secondly, does anyone know how much roughly we'd get, so I can budget accordingly. I've tried looking online, but anything I find is about as clear as mud.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 May 2019 at 5:12PM
    Options
    What ESA is your partner currently getting. If it is income based you should already be on the claim and your income taken into account. If it is contribution based then partner will need to ask DWP to reassess the claim for income based entitlement and add you to the claim.

Whether you will be entitled any income ESA will depend on your other income (if any) and savings.

If you were in work from April 2016 to March 2108 you can claim 'new style' ESA (correction I meant to type JSA as picked up by a number of posters below) which will pay £73.10 for 6 months. However this will be taken into account as income when working out any income based ESA. Claiming JSA would get you NI credits.

Is your partner claiming PIP?

Of there are no savings or other income an ESA claimant (age over 25) in the Support Group with a partner receives £177.50/week made up of the couple basic allowance, couple enhanced disability premium and the support component.

You should also look at Council Tax Reduction from your local council.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Pinkchesh13
    Options
    He gets income and contributions based ESA.

I would have been in my current job from August 2016, but had 3 months unemployed before that.

He applied for PIP, but was told he wasn't eligible.

If I do become unemployed, we have no savings or other income. We get a small amount of council tax relief and some housing benefit already, but not much.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    Options
    calcotti wrote: »

Whether you will be entitled any income ESA will depend on your other income (if any) and savings.

If you were in work from April 2016 to March 2108 you can claim 'new style' ESA which will pay £73.10 for 6 months.
    The OP hasn't mentioned a health condition that prevents them from working, so claiming ESA in their own right may not be possible.
  • Secretsusie
    Secretsusie Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi
    I believe new sytle esa is payable for 12 months not 6, and indefinitely if placed and remains in support group.
  • Pinkchesh13
    Options
    I'm fully able to work and want to work and was looking at JSA for myself. But there's no info other than saying only one of us can claim a benefit, but after that nothing I've found is helpful.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Were you working full time? If not, now many hours were you working and how much were you earning?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    Options
    I'm fully able to work and want to work and was looking at JSA for myself. But there's no info other than saying only one of us can claim a benefit, but after that nothing I've found is helpful.
    Then New Style ESA can't be claimed in your own right. If you've paid enough NI contributions from working between March 2016 and April 2018 then you can claim New style JSA. This is payable for 6 months. https://www.gov.uk/how-to-claim-new-style-jsa
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    edited 21 May 2019 at 5:41PM
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    The OP hasn't mentioned a health condition that prevents them from working, so claiming ESA in their own right may not be possible.

Thanks poppy. Typing error on my part - I meant to type 'new style' JSA (hence the six month time limit). Now amended my earlier post to clarify.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I wonder if another PIP application may be worthwhile?
    (Particularly if your partner is easily fatigued and takes a long time to do the PIP activities - https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system)

If successful it would boost your household income.

Did you get any help with the form last time, and did you challenge the decision.
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/contact-us/contact-us/contact-us/
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure