Fuel cards

Options
Hi All,

I'm interested to hear peoples thoughts and experiences on fuel cards?
My company (when running) will do quite a lot of traveling as we will be going to clients instead of them coming to us (home based).
Do you find fuel cards work for you?

Thanks

Comments

• icebergx
    icebergx Posts: 688 Forumite
    Options
    I would also be very interested to hear peoples experiences with this, as we will be having a few employees 'on the road' soon, too.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    depends on who "we" are

assuming it is not a company car, then the company will need to keep records of business and private usage so that the employee is taxed correctly on any private fuel usage not reimbursed to the company

why not just stick with a simple mileage claim?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We find it works very well for us, but we only have one vehicle which is driven by lots of people, but only ever on business, no personal use at all.

So the fuel card stays with the vehicle, and the receipts are returned to the office to tally with the monthly invoice.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • CityLite
    CityLite Posts: 57 Forumite
    edited 23 May 2019 at 10:58AM
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    We find it works very well for us, but we only have one vehicle which is driven by lots of people, but only ever on business, no personal use at all.

So the fuel card stays with the vehicle, and the receipts are returned to the office to tally with the monthly invoice.

We used to run the same system, but got knocked badly by a rogue employee. :mad:

The problem was that there was no proper checks on who was actually using the card (there's no signature for the cashier to check on the back of card as its designed to be used by any employee) - they only check the vehicle registration number.

One (now ex-) employee spent £10 on a cheap set of duplicate number plates which she used in conjunction with the fuel card to regularly fill up her own vehicle.

It only came to light when we noticed the company vehicle allegedly used quite a lot of fuel in a week we knew the vehicle was actually off-road, being repaired at a garage.
    That brought our attention to the apparent fact that the company vehicle was generally very uneconomic, or we had some extemely heavy footed people driving it.

But it was very difficult to identify the culprit, and meanwhile we had to continue to pay the fuel card company.

Police were involved, and they tried to get CCTV from garages, but by the time we got the monthly bill identifying where the card was used, the garages involved had already wiped their CCTV footage - many only seem to have it on a 7 day revolving cycle.

Of course, this woman was signing for fuel, but it was always a fake signature, and as I say the petrol stations used had no way to check that signature.

It was only after a few months investigative work by ourselves in conjunction with our local CID that the real cuplrit was identified. The fuel card company were no assistence whatsoever.

We identified 2 possible local garages where we believed the fuel card may have been used fraudulently on a regular basis, and the police arranged to download & collect CCTV footage every week for a period of two months from those garages. Eventually there was a good enough image captured of this woman, an employee of ours at the time, driving a totally different vehicle but with the registration number of our company vehicle.

It seems when police went a-knocking at the suspects door, inside her vehicle were found the false plates, and we were told there was a simple device attached to the proper vehicle number plates where the false plates could be quickly applied/released over the existing correct plates.

I can't say much more as the matter is still subject to criminal action against the now ex-employee.

What I will say is that we no longer use a fuel card on the advice of the police, but ask employees to remit personal expense reports for any fuel they purchase. That way, we can easily identify who is spending what of the companies money.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Options
    I wondered how someone could get round the number plate problem, although I hadn't mentioned that it could only be used for our vehicle.

We'll be aware of that possibility now!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Options
    I got talked in to getting a fuel card as a supposed perk via the company that supplies our card payment machine. It gave a penny or two reduction on the pump price and after an intitial period there would be a monthly fee. I decided to try it and see if I thought it was worth paying for.

After a few weeks I stopped using it. Although there was a small saving, you could save more by choosing cheaper petrol stations. The real problem was being tied to one garage chain. In rural areas and possibly in some regions of the country you would end up making diversions to find one to fill up at. Or filling up using a card at another petrol station which defeats the object.
  • westy22
    westy22 Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We use FuelGenie for our fleet of vans - the card is accepted only by Tesco, Morrison's and Sainsburys supermarket petrol stations.

There is no cost saving as such but it forces our drivers to fill-up at these supermarkets which are generally among the cheapest in any area of the UK.
    Old dog but always delighted to learn new tricks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure