Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wheelz
    • By wheelz 14th Sep 18, 7:23 AM
    • 332Posts
    • 61Thanks
    wheelz
    Nationwide limit to transfer
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:23 AM
    Nationwide limit to transfer 14th Sep 18 at 7:23 AM
    I have proceeds from a house sale that I want to move to another UK account. There is a 10,000 limit to a single payment to another UK account (faster payments) with Nationwide. I have sent them a message. Can you do more than one transfer per day? And to different people does that make a difference?

I've recently joined First Direct and they have a 30,000 limit. Much better. If you want any amount over 10,000 to be transferred immediately you need to use CHAPS which costs 20 with Nationwide. I've always been very happy with them but this is a downside.
Page 1
    • wmb194
    • By wmb194 14th Sep 18, 7:41 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    wmb194
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:41 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:41 AM
    Write a cheque.
    • noh
    • By noh 14th Sep 18, 8:06 AM
    • 5,280 Posts
    • 3,573 Thanks
    noh
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:06 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:06 AM
    When we moved two years ago I did six seperate 10k faster payments in one day from Nationwide to my solicitors account.
    Using a cheque as suggested above would be easier.
    Last edited by noh; 14-09-2018 at 8:10 AM.
    • billn
    • By billn 14th Sep 18, 8:36 AM
    • 145 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    billn
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:36 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:36 AM
    Yes you can do multiple transfers in one day, I transfered 6 x 10,000 to the same account within 10 minutes without a problem earlier this year.
    If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you!
    • colsten
    • By colsten 14th Sep 18, 9:59 AM
    • 9,387 Posts
    • 8,324 Thanks
    colsten
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:59 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:59 AM
    Originally posted by noh
    Only if you / the recipient can wait for the cheque to clear.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 14th Sep 18, 10:18 AM
    • 21,420 Posts
    • 17,237 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 14th Sep 18, 10:18 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 10:18 AM
    Originally posted by noh

Really? It might take a couple of minutes to do several transfers, compared to the time required to find the chequebook, write the cheques, address and stamp as many envelopes as needed, walk to the nearest postbox and back, wait for the box to be emptied and the envelopes delivered to the addressees, who then have to get to their branch of choice, pay in the cheque, and go through 2-4-6 clearing. You tell me which is easier, I know which I'd do.
    • PRAISETHESUN
    • By PRAISETHESUN 14th Sep 18, 10:34 AM
    • 441 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    PRAISETHESUN
    • 14th Sep 18, 10:34 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 10:34 AM
    The limit is usually only per transaction, but some banks might impose a total daily transaction limit as well.

If you definitely need to make it happen that day, send it by CHAPS. There is usually a fee for doing this, but the limits are much higher and the money is guaranteed to arrive that day.
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 14th Sep 18, 11:11 AM
    • 2,112 Posts
    • 967 Thanks
    soulsaver
    • 14th Sep 18, 11:11 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 11:11 AM
    FYI: FD's on line limit is 50k per transaction. I recently sent 80k in 2 FP transactions same day.
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 14th Sep 18, 11:18 AM
    • 2,112 Posts
    • 967 Thanks
    soulsaver
    • 14th Sep 18, 11:18 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 11:18 AM
    You can do multiple 10K transactions with NW, but watch out for them being held for security checks.
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 14th Sep 18, 11:46 AM
    • 2,076 Posts
    • 1,954 Thanks
    Ballard
    The limit is usually only per transaction, but some banks might impose a total daily transaction limit as well.

If you definitely need to make it happen that day, send it by CHAPS. There is usually a fee for doing this, but the limits are much higher and the money is guaranteed to arrive that day.
    Originally posted by PRAISETHESUN
    ...subject to fraud/aml checks.
    I hate verisimilitude.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 14th Sep 18, 1:04 PM
    • 853 Posts
    • 573 Thanks
    18cc
    Yes you may got stopped for 4 checked and in any case make double sure you get the sort code and account number right before doing multiple 10K payments!
    • wheelz
    • By wheelz 14th Sep 18, 2:19 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    wheelz
    I sent 5 times 10.000 from Nationwide to First Direct ok. Got there instantly. No checks Thanks everyone. Next transaction is 45,000 from First Direct to another UK organisation that seems to be delayed somewhere for checks I guess as they normally send me an email quite quickly that they have received the money but they haven't as yet. Is it the receiving organisation that checks or the sender?
    • badger09
    • By badger09 14th Sep 18, 2:30 PM
    • 6,378 Posts
    • 5,787 Thanks
    badger09
    I sent 5 times 10.000 from Nationwide to First Direct ok. Got there instantly. No checks Thanks everyone. Next transaction is 45,000 from First Direct to another UK organisation that seems to be delayed somewhere for checks I guess as they normally send me an email quite quickly that they have received the money but they haven't as yet. Is it the receiving organisation that checks or the sender?
    Originally posted by wheelz
    If you've just sent 5 x 10k to First Direct & then immediately tried to send 45k elsewhere, I'm not at all surprised someone is checking. It will be First Direct's responsibility.
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 14th Sep 18, 2:39 PM
    • 2,112 Posts
    • 967 Thanks
    soulsaver
    If you're using FD's app the limit is 30k..
    • wheelz
    • By wheelz 14th Sep 18, 3:04 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    wheelz
    It needs to go to Transferwise to be sent abroad (as want to move (back) to Europe and buy a house in my own country). As I would have to send it in small batches from nationwide cost free while other banks have a much higher limit I thought I'll use my new First Direct account. I'll see if I can send them a message to explain, that might help. I should have had the solicitor sending it to my FD account, but it was still all new hadn't used it much not even used the pin yet which I received this week. I didn't know about the Nationwide limit.
    • deadendwaterfall
    • By deadendwaterfall 14th Sep 18, 11:32 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    deadendwaterfall

Originally posted by PRAISETHESUN
    If there happens to be a technical problem where it ends up not arriving that day, do you get any form of compensation for it?
    • jonnygee2
    • By jonnygee2 15th Sep 18, 1:48 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    jonnygee2
    It could be either - both have a responsibility to prevent money laundering. But usually, it's the receiving bank. Just make sure you have clear paper trail of the origin of the funds handy.
    • wheelz
    • By wheelz 15th Sep 18, 2:27 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    wheelz
    It was all transferred yesterday in the afternoon. Thanks everyone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,320Users online

Martin's Twitter