Car insurance headache

Options
My insurer is driving me crazy and not helping me at all...I was in a retail park car park in Spring driving past a junction when someone pulled out too wide and hit the rear wheel and bumper of my car. I took photos and we swapped details. After me chasing the insurer on many occasions I've been told that the 3rd party has denied liability so unless I pay my excess my insurer will not help me. They said that they could not guarantee that I would get any resolution from the 3rd partys insurer so basically I'm paying to repair my own car having paid fully comp insurance! I could get the car repaired for about £250 and my excess is £450 so I'm in a crappy situation with no one prepared to help. Why am I paying insurance? :mad:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    So that you have cover when you need it.

In this instance, it looks like it's 50/50, so your insurance will cover your half (less your excess).
  • Aess35
    Options
    Hi thanks for your reply but it wasn't 50/50 she was fully in the wrong and I have photos proving that she was over the white line when she hit me.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    50/50 refers to the insurance decision, not your view of what happened.
  • Aess35
    Options
    I'm sorry but this isn't my view of what happened it is actually what happened..she hit me but because she said she wasn't at fault my insurer won't help. So I could go out tomo and run someone off the road but if I say I'm not at fault nothing happens?!?! :mad:
  • foxtrotoscar_2
    Options
    If there are no witnesses and no one admits liability who should be believed?
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unless there are independent witnesses or incontrovertible evidence, then it's your word against hers.
  • peterbaker
    peterbaker Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    Options
    Aess35 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but this isn't my view of what happened it is actually what happened..she hit me but because she said she wasn't at fault my insurer won't help. So I could go out tomo and run someone off the road but if I say I'm not at fault nothing happens?!?! :mad:
    Sadly yes, you have to be very clever indeed to "corner" the guilty party into doing the right thing and to keep them to their word. Always try to get full contact detail so you can telephone easily or call round at their address. You obviously have to be careful not to be accused of harassment but sadly in UK, too many guilty drivers will disappear home and change their story once they realise what a claim might do to their own insurance renewal. Without good reliable independent witnesses you are stuffed with little choice other than to use your own insurance and pay the excess and suffer any increased premium at your own renewal. Risking losing a discount at renewal is one reason why protected No Claims Bonus is usually a good idea.

If there is good evidence against the third party, the sting of having to chase their insurer down to recover your excess can sometimes be avoided if you have bought an add-on policy - what is sometimes called 'uninsured loss recovery service' as an extra over through your insurance broker for example. I get it "free" with my CSMA (civil service motoring association) membership subscription. But again, it won't set the dogs on a dishonest third party unless there is incontrovertible evidence against them.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Aess35 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but this isn't my view of what happened it is actually what happened.

No need to apologise.. But it doesn't matter what your view is and what may or may not have happened.

It it's declared 50/50, then it's 50/50. It will be judged on the evidence available.

If that means you feel the need to go out and run someone over tomorrow, then that is your decision.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    most insurers have in their T+C that you agree for them to represent you. If you disagree take on the claim yourself at your own cost and sue them directly.

So do you have evidence it is 100% it's their fault?

Dashcam would have been useful
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport