Separation and arrears

Options
I have separated from my wife, this occurred in July/2018 and I moved out completely on Sep/2018.

Full ownership of the Virgin Media account, bills and running the account was supposed to be taken over by my ex. I requested this change with Virgin Media, they sent the form out, it was sent back and I was under the impression it was all completed.

Now we don't have a joint account, I am getting sent letters and emails chasing up arrears. On calling them I found out that the account had not been changed over and they are still waiting on completed forms.

I no longer have access to the house, have not been using the service for months.

My first port of call was to make sure that continued services did not persist and the bill they want gets larger. I went from pillar to post and eventually got someone in their cancellations team to issue an immediate disconnection. I became extremely frustrated with her because although I made it clear at least 3 times in the call with her that I was not on speaking terms with my ex, she kept pushing for me to "recommend" my wife for services in her name and we would both get vouchers. Her english was bad but she really wasn't getting that gaining vouchers was the least thing on my mind.

I was informed by the agent that the boxes need to be returned, something I can not do since I don't have access to the home and don't talk to my ex any more.

I pushed for them to chase both the arrears and the return of the equipment with my ex, they didn't want to do that, insisting it was my issue.

I have raised an online complaint with resolver.co.uk and am looking for a resolution that involves my ex picking up the arrears and sorting out return of the box. I am unsure if they will do this, but that is what I am looking for in a resolution.

It would be a different story if I never attempted to change ownership of the account, but not only did they agree to do it but they also told me that it would cost £20 to do, something I was not happy about but agreed to do it anyway. Surely, with all the effort I made to transfer the account, their seemingly limited efforts to live up to their side and get it changed that I have an argument of poor service and of passing the ball to them to take ownership of the arrears. (either to chase my ex or understand that they were not mine and write them off)

My plan is to wait to see what comes about with the complaint, meanwhile forward any letters or emails I get from Virginmedia to my ex, by post and insist that she deals with them (including both paying the amount owed and returning the equipment)

Virginmedia have no information as to my forwarding address.
I have no desire to pay the arrears but wonder if I dig my heels in if I am just opening myself up to getting multiple chase letters, it eventually getting passed to a debt agency and then having to argue with them, and added costs they decide to throw in, all the while taking chunks out of my credit file for not making payment.

Am I doing the right thing to resolve this?

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    <<I have no desire to pay the arrears but wonder if I dig my heels in if I am just opening myself up to getting multiple chase letters, it eventually getting passed to a debt agency and then having to argue with them, and added costs they decide to throw in, all the while taking chunks out of my credit file for not making payment.>
    That is more than likely .
    You really need legal advice .
  • TowelMaster
    Options
    Legal advice for a £70 bill seems a bit stupid though doesn't it?
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    A common problem. I had the same thing when I split up from my ex.

Firstly, you are responsible for the bill up until you moved out.

You say you removed yourself from the account when you moved out. Did you check that this happened? Just assuming it all went through is not enough.

Presumably, you have proof that you contacted Virgin. Also that you have proof of where you are living now so that you can show Virgin you are no longer at the address concerned.

What you should have done is closed your account and told you wife to open her own with Virgin.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Legal advice for a £70 bill seems a bit stupid though doesn't it?

Since you never mentioned the amount of the arrears owed in your original post it was a valid reply, pay it and move on would be my advice.
  • TowelMaster
    Options
    I didn't check, I feel that was my mistake and things turned bad with my ex from amicable to despeicable leading up to my moving out. I was far too trusting but thankfuly this was the only thing that got stuck.

The proof I have of calling them will be on their side. I know for a fact they log calls (if not record them) and there will be a record of them sending out the forms. My best case is to argue that they didn't do their job properly and pepper them with contact enough that they agree its not worth their time to argue. It is an unfortunate method to use with these companies where their time lost is a factor they are concerned with, as well as clearing complaints.

Hindsight is 20/20, I know now that I should have been more vigilant closing the account.

My plan right now is to see out the complaint, see if they can be worn down and if that fails, pay it.

The equipment is the other pain. I am confident my wife is enough of a £^$% that she will refuse to pay the amount owed but I would hope she is agreeable enough to at least return the equipment to Virgin. If not, I am liable for their rented equipment... and I have no way to get hold of it since i dont have a key.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

My plan right now is to see out the complaint, see if they can be worn down and if that fails, pay it.

In the meantime, your credit record is being worn down by records of non-payment. These are a matter of fact and are unlikely to be removed.

Telecoms companies are masters at trashing credit ratings. Think carefully.
  • TowelMaster
    Options
    Give it a month or so, not willing to wait around forever but have a complaint raised with resolver.co.uk and enthused about a 3rd party chipping in to my case as there is more for them to deny/reject my case than just ignoring me.

Not even had a letter confirming the "final bill" yet so we will see
  • phoenix1837
    Options
    Can I ask, is the house in both your names? If so, why don't you have a key as you are legally entitled to enter it until such time as your name is off the mortgage/deeds. If this is the case, speak to the police and explain the situation and let them know that you are breaking in to your house, they should provide an officer to attend. You can then take the equipment back, pay the bill and all done!

My mate did this a while back when her ex denied her access to a joint property, police were great about it. She had to break a window to gain access.
  • TowelMaster
    Options
    The house has been divested already, I have settled and walked away with my piece. All in her name now, title/mortgage etc. So, no keys or right to access the house.

However, if she is unwilling to give the devices back, I may do as you say and contact the local police advising that there is property that is my responsibility to rent but is being held by my ex without regard for returning it.. I don't think I can do anything from a police action point of view (as it seems more a civil than criminal court issue), it would be interesting to hear what they suggest.

Let me see what virgin ask of me to return it (in their letter expected) and see if she is willing to handle it. She is an absolute nightmare but she might see it as some sort of ego win over me to do it and resolve it. She wont pay the bill but returning the boxes is likely.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can't you get a mutual friend to collect them on your behalf?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport